Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

I suppose it would be amusing if that's what anyone has done, but no one has. Not here.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I suppose it would be amusing if that's what anyone has done, but no one has. Not here.
    There were few actually. But they were deleted or edited out of the posts relatively quickly.

Ah, in that case I apologize to jetengine, I didn't see them.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think it's pretty undeniable that the undercooked female characters have been one of the weakest aspects of this story, along with the truly embarrassing dialogue. I'm not expecting much when Lois shows up next issue.

That said, the level of craftsmanship with the storytelling and art is a lot of fun.

It was ok. I liked issue 1 more just because there weren’t parts that I felt like skimming/skipping. Man the parts with Clark going through basic were so damn boring. I felt the stuff with Lori was kinda weird. They barely knew each other but suddenly feel like they are madly in love. Seemed like it came out of no where. If Miller focused more on their relationship and less on Clark having conversations with his bunk mates it may have been a better issue.

I do like young Superman to be a bit brash. He reminded me of Morrison’s New 52 Superman. Which I loved.

Ok, I’m just gonna say it. How did he have sex with a mermaid? Reminded me of the Futurama episode with the lost city of Atlanta.

Actually I think that's kinda visually addressed. These mermaids have lower appendages that are like legs, its not the classic straight-up fishtail (not counting Poseidon himself). So it stands to reason they have, you know, other similarities with a humanoid anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It was ok. I liked issue 1 more just because there weren’t parts that I felt like skimming/skipping. Man the parts with Clark going through basic were so damn boring. I felt the stuff with Lori was kinda weird. They barely knew each other but suddenly feel like they are madly in love. Seemed like it came out of no where. If Miller focused more on their relationship and less on Clark having conversations with his bunk mates it may have been a better issue.

I do like young Superman to be a bit brash. He reminded me of Morrison’s New 52 Superman. Which I loved.

Ok, I’m just gonna say it. How did he have sex with a mermaid? Reminded me of the Futurama episode with the lost city of Atlanta.
    Funnily enough, I felt the opposite way. I had to really force myself through part one. It wasn't bad, I just didn't really care about another take on Clark growing up in Smallville. There have been a lot of takes on that story, one of them being over half of a ten year TV show. It brought up some interesting points, but even the moral issue didn't really feel that fresh to me, and ultimately I just didn't care that much.

Part two was a lot more interesting to me, because we've never seen Clark training to be a Navy SEAL despite his morals. Even if it was a flawed concept, and I still think it was, it was at least unique. I didn't mind Lori and Clark getting together so quickly; I think it's partly by nature of the format, partially because they're both young, dumb and full of, er, vitality. And then, you know, there's the whole fight with Poseidon, and I thought that was cool and interesting too. Not necessarily unique, but it held my attention a lot, I think because, you know, it was a bona fide pulpy Superman adventure, and that's basically the coolest thing about the character.

I can definitely see the comparison to my boy the New 52 Kal, and I'm also living for it.

As for the mermaid sex thing... I'm sure you can find half a dozen different suppositions for how that might have worked out with a cursory google search. If you're over 18 or in some places 21 that is.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

Liked the issue, and I loved how he had agonized with killing to the point where he would risk revealing himself to show someone else the horror of killing and what ultimately got him kicked out of the navy.

Astonishing Member

It does seem to me that an awful lot of the criticism for this book essentially boils down to Frank Miller isn't 'woke' enough!

I have to say I loved this issue! It was a bit uneven compared to the first one, but a truly enjoyable and bonkers ride. Miller has taken the sheer insanity and ridiculousness of the Silver Age Superman stories and added some of his Dark Age 'edge' to it. The result is...quiet a treat! Though obviously not for everyone...

The military stuff was interesting. I kinda liked how Clark equated being a soldier with being an adventurer and a hero - an idea that no doubt a lot of young men who enlist in the military harbor to some extent. Of course, Clark realizes that being a soldier requires being a killer, so he decides that he needs to find another way to be that adventurer/hero. So he goes off on his Atlantean hero and basically becomes a knight in shining armor from a fairy tale - literally saving the fair maiden from the evil monster (who in this case is her own incestuous father!) This issue is basically about Clark living out one adolescent fantasy after the other, and in the process the building blocks of the man he will become are being lain.

Speaking of which, I think Lori being the one to give Clark the name 'Superman' is a neat twist, and a nice way to differentiate this origin from the other takes!

Really looking forward to the third and final chapter. I guess the 'DKR prequel' aspects will really come to the fore there. Interested to see Miller's take on the first meeting between the Trinity. I wonder if Batman will be more like Miller's Year One version or the DKR version.

@bat39

Well said. I totally agree with your observations. I'm thoroughly enjoying this series too. One of the best Superman comics I've read in years.

The trinity gathering in issue 3 will be fascinating. I'm tending to think Batman will be more like the Year One version, but only time will tell ...

Wow so this book isn’t selling that bad, looks like it was #4 for dollars in Aug.

Yes. It's doing quite well, despite some of the misleading BS online ... but that's the internet for you

I enjoyed issue 2 a lot more than issue one.

Same here. I think most people did. I still enjoyed #1 but #2 was more exciting and extraordinary
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 09-20-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Frank Miller on Superman: Year One, Batman and Who He Wants to Write Next: https://www.cbr.com/interview-frank-...ar-one-batman/