Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Are you seriously asking? Because the answer is “a ton”. The Marines aren’t out there “fighting for freedom” right now, and American intervention overseas has been a non-stop global joke since Iraq.
    Yeah, but that's more to do with the people in our capital than the ones in our armed forces. Don't blame the soldiers for the decisions of the politicians. Bush, Obama, Trump, and plenty of folks in Congress probably are the ones to blame for American intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    When I first read it I thought the sort of goth looking kid with the pen was going to be Lex until Clark called him Jeremy. I'm not sure the series needs a supervillain, maybe for the last issue.
    I'm thinking he'll end up being the villain, and one who knows The Secret (a pseudo-Kenny Braverman).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I thought the Rebirth origin was just the old pre-Flashpoint origin again?
    Is it? I don't know that they've formally said one way or the other.
    Assassinate Putin!

I call it the cliffs notes version of Secret Origin. The foundation is definitely SO, but since really Jurgens only showed us flashes when Superman was overlooking his history, there's room for other interpretations in the finer details.

Who knows though if they want to eventually replace it entirely. Again. Considering Johns' current lack of influence in the comics DCU.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Is it? I don't know that they've formally said one way or the other.
    I'm sure they haven't formally said as much, but probably more or less that's it again. Maybe a few very minor differences, but not enough to need another origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I call it the cliffs notes version of Secret Origin. The foundation is definitely SO, but since really Jurgens only showed us flashes when Superman was overlooking his history, there's room for other interpretations in the finer details.

Who knows though if they want to eventually replace it entirely. Again. Considering Johns' current lack of influence in the comics DCU.
    Good God I hope not. I can’t take another Origin story. Just pick one and stick with it, Johns is certainly not my favorite, but it’s probably the easiest to work with in the current continuity.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Can Bendis miss the chance to retell Superman's origin for the umpteenth time?

I am sorry for even suggesting it, but with the way creative power seems to constantly shift, coupled with the already inherent fascination with telling origins, I have it in the back of my head.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

As the only Superman fan not sick of the origin, I bit the bullet and decided to get this now instead of wait. Should arrive next week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Oh I’m sure he’d do it if offered but I hope they don’t. Because as much as I enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man he stretched that Origin out five issues, and that was back when he was at his peak. I couldn’t take a 10 issue Bendis Superman Origin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    As the only Superman fan not sick of the origin, I bit the bullet and decided to get this now instead of wait. Should arrive next week sometime.
    I would’ve waited until it was all finished and just gotten the collected edition. Mate how are you not bored of Smallville and Clark becoming Superman yet? It’s the same story over and over again, it’s like the perfect emblem of the Superman franchise trapped going in circles.
    I am sorry for even suggesting it, but with the way creative power seems to constantly shift, coupled with the already inherent fascination with telling origins, I have it in the back of my head.
    Someone needs to set a ban on Superman origin stories for at least 10 years. No more of this crap, I don’t care if Neil Gaiman or Alan Moore are pitching one, no more repetitive retellings of the exact same story beats.

Only reason I’m interested in this at all is Clark joining the military. That’s something that actually changes things up, and even though I’d never want that being a part of canon Clark, I’m curious to see how it plays out here.

If you're talking about this becoming the new "official" origin (dont mean to step into your conversation guys), I haven't even made it to the LCS yet, but this has been in the back of my mind since they announced it.

I mean.....look at the precedent. Batman Year One became canon. Birthright became canon. The current origin is a bare-bones Secret Origin (which is pretty flavorless) and Johns appears to be out of influence at the company.

If Superman Year One doesn't get too explicit and is successful (or even if its not) history tells us this might become the new "official" origin. At least until next year when they change it again

If Bendis is planning on doing the origin, then probably not. But I get the feeling Bendis is looking to add new elements to the origin, like what happened to Krypton, and less inclined to re-tell the origin itself.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-20-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I honestly thought that MOS was setting him up to do just that. I still cling to the idea that the ship we see in that series is the precursor to a new origin. It doesn't look like any other previous version. Why do that unless you're lining up a new origin? And we didn't get to see much of the ship in this book so it's not outside the realm of possibility they will just pass this off as the new "official" origin. I doubt it given it's controversial nature and mixed reviews but I also don't think we're entirely back to SO yet either. So far, there haven't been any direct references to him being a costumed Superboy post Rebirth either far as I know. They've kept his past rather vague. This could be deliberate because they're still on the fence about what his origin is. Or it could be there really is another big reboot event coming in 2020 and they're just waiting it out to do it then. Keep in mind, DC management right now is basically Didio and Lee versus everyone else. So it's possible they just haven't negotiated the terms yet.
    Assassinate Putin!

Hard to say exactly what the deal is. For the last three years, continuity has been messed up purposefully, and Clark's right in the middle of it. And now DC continuity might be fixed by Snyder or Johns, Clark's specific origin might be done by either of them as part of their larger stories, or by Bendis, or (sorta unlikely but possible) Miller.

Who the hell knows?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If you're talking about this becoming the new "official" origin (dont mean to step into your conversation guys), I haven't even made it to the LCS yet, but this has been in the back of my mind since they announced it.

I mean.....look at the precedent. Batman Year One became canon. Birthright became canon. The current origin is a bare-bones Secret Origin (which is pretty flavorless) and Johns appears to be out of influence at the company.

If Superman Year One doesn't get too explicit and is successful (or even if its not) history tells us this might become the new "official" origin. At least until next year when they change it again

If Bendis is planning on doing the origin, then probably not. But I get the feeling Bendis is looking to add new elements to the origin, like what happened to Krypton, and less inclined to re-tell the origin itself.
    It’s not going to be the official origin. It’s set in the DKR universe and we pretty much already know because it’s Miller and his misogyny can’t be controlled that Superman is going to end up with Wonder Woman in the 3rd book because he already revealed that in that interview. Lois is clearly going to wind up dead and I just pray he doesn’t treat her too horribly in the process. But there’s no way a book that sets Lois up so poorly and ultimately favors SM/WW in a sex scene is going to become an official anything. Despite the misogyny often present here, the majority of people at DC do not play that game and will not stand for that BS or lois’s mistreatment like that in an official origin. And they aren’t going to allow that as part of Wonder Woman’s origin either and for good reason. Lois and Clark are too important to the franchise and Wonder Woman is too valuable. They won’t and can’t risk that kind of BS Frank Miller fanfiction and the backlash would become too much.

Even putting aside that the book has gotten some pretty high profile backlash from respectable comic book sites (a lot of the major reviewers were rightly concerned about how horribly misogynist the book was—which it absolutely was) and it’s been bashed to pieces outside of the bubble that congregates here.

I can tell you from someone I know on the inside that there are many at DC in the Superman office that feel this book should never have been published.

It’s not going to become an official origin and, at this point, given what I’ve heard about the continued sexism in the second issue with the way Lori is handled, I would prepare for significant backlash going forward regarding Didio’s decision to publish this book. This book hurt DC’s reputation among anyone who isn’t a Miller apologist. The reviews were just too middling and the backlash too negative outside of Miller’s fandom and that’s the reality.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 06-20-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    It’s not going to be the official origin. It’s set in the DKR universe and we pretty much already know because it’s Miller and his misogyny can’t be controlled that Superman is going to end up with Wonder Woman in the 3rd book because he already revealed that in that interview. Lois is clearly going to wind up dead and I just pray he doesn’t treat her too horribly in the process. But there’s no way a book that sets Lois up so poorly and ultimately favors SM/WW in a sex scene is going to become an official anything. Despite the misogyny often present here, the majority of people at DC do not play that game and will not stand for that BS or lois’s mistreatment like that in an official origin. And they aren’t going to allow that as part of Wonder Woman’s origin either and for good reason. Lois and Clark are too important to the franchise and Wonder Woman is too valuable. They won’t and can’t risk that kind of BS Frank Miller fanfiction and the backlash would become too much.

Even putting aside that the book has gotten some pretty high profile backlash from respectable comic book sites (a lot of the major reviewers were rightly concerned about how horribly misogynist the book was—which it absolutely was) and it’s been bashed to pieces outside of the bubble that congregates here.

I can tell you from someone I know on the inside that there are many at DC in the Superman office that feel this book should never have been published.

It’s not going to become an official origin and, at this point, given what I’ve heard about the continued sexism in the second issue with the way Lori is handled, I would prepare for significant backlash going forward regarding Didio’s decision to publish this book. This book hurt DC’s reputation among anyone who isn’t a Miller apologist. The reviews were just too middling and the backlash too negative outside of Miller’s fandom and that’s the reality.
    Any word on from your inside source on what WILL be the official origin?
    Assassinate Putin!