Default (Old) Young Justice - Anyone else not like Secret?

I've read the entire run of the 1999 Young Justice. I liked it for the most part. Sometimes it just got too silly, even for what it was. I like Fite & Maad, though, and Cissie was great (I enjoyed her friendship with Bart, liked her issues with her mom, and thought her story where she left the team was good, if ultimately unsatisfying for not being revisited). Didn't like what they did with Traya (prefer pre-crisis more "normal" Traya and I didn't think she should be hanging out with teenagers).

But my biggest issue was probably Secret. I'd say her arc is probably the closest the comic has to an over-reaching arc. And I liked Secret fine at first. But the more I read of her, the less I liked her. She's the weakest link to me. Or rather, the character I was least interested in.

Agreed. I liked Secret well enough but she was almost always the least interesting character on the roster. It wasn't so bad at first, but after a little while I was just.....over it, and ready to move on.

I never really got behind Empress either. Great concept, great design.....everything about the character said "Ascended is gonna love this new addition!" but somehow she never fully clicked with me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Always Rakzo

She was adorable. That's enough.

If there's someone who I REALLY didn't like in the book was Snapper Carr. He was supposed to act as the tutor of these kids but most of the time he looked like a creepy old guy hanging around teenagers and got especially creepy during a scene where Empress was naked and he said something like "Hellooo nurse!" and I was like "Dude, she's like 15 and you're like 30!" (Not to mention that it was a pretty dated reference even for that time).

I never really got behind Empress either. Great concept, great design.....everything about the character said "Ascended is gonna love this new addition!" but somehow she never fully clicked with me.
    I liked her well enough, but didn't love her. Her dad and Maad were better. I liked Maad pretending he knew she was Empress and then later making out with Bonnie. The scene where those two talked seriously was good, too.

he looked like a creepy old guy hanging around teenagers and got especially creepy during a scene where Empress was naked and he said something like "Hellooo nurse!" and I was like "Dude, she's like 15 and you're like 30!"
    Now you have me thinking about Tana and Superboy and how that was never written as disturbing as I think it should have been (even though they did have a couple background characters comment on it at least once). Tana was written as a "good" character, but the big issue there was just completely not perceived, or at least not addressed. Though I did think that her being adult really worked for the parallel (and very definitely contrast) with Knockout. Both grown women and a Superboy who clearly wasn't grown. Guess I should save that for a thread on him, though.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-19-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Now you have me thinking about Tana and Superboy and how that was never written as disturbing as I think it should have been (even though they did have a couple background characters comment on it at least once). Tana was written as a "good" character, but the big issue there was just completely not perceived, or at least not addressed. Though I did think that her being adult really worked for the parallel (and very definitely contrast) with Knockout. Both grown women and a Superboy who clearly wasn't grown. Guess I should save that for a thread on him, though.
    I know right? Tana Moon was creepy. At a minimum she was what, 20, 21?

And correct me if Im wrong but didn't she attach herself to Superboy originally just so she could build her career on him? She's a gold digger who's not very good at being a gold digger, and, somehow??? gets in too deep with a immature sixteen year old who doesn't even have a name other than "Kid" or "Superboy." I mean, gods Tana, what was your childhood like?

Gods, can you imagine the outrage if a writer tried that story today?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Somewhere in there. She may have still been in school in her very first appearance, but then she moved (back) to Hawaii, sooo...would she have finished by then? There might be a reference to her being 23 somewhere, but my memory isn't able to dig it up. Maybe when talking to Amanda...just can't be recall. Seems like 22 is more likely.

Tana absolutely first associated with Superboy to get a story and launch her career. By time she was dating him, I don't think she was with him to use him. She cared. But the dynamic was all wrong and it was such a bad idea. Also, he was called 15 to start, not 16 (though he moved up pretty quickly). Then he was about to die, so she kissed him. She shouldn't have done it. She should have stopped there. But didn't.

Superboy #0 was the one that had others in the background talking like it was a problem.
    Tana.jpg

Mighty Member

No Tana was ok, she was the ONLY ONE who really cared ABOUT HIM, alongside with Dubbilex.
    The Problem was more the Manager and his daughter...

I must say I LOVED Secret and I LOVED Empress, I would instantly change them for Amethyst...

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    No Tana was ok, she was the ONLY ONE who really cared ABOUT HIM, alongside with Dubbilex.
    The Problem was more the Manager and his daughter...

I must say I LOVED Secret and I LOVED Empress, I would instantly change them for Amethyst...
    I deeply disagree and think Roxy cared very much. She was a caricature at first, but by the end I liked her better than Tana. Very disappointed by the ending of both characters. They got screwed.

Rex, did not care at all, and ruined his daughter's life to boot.

I liked Empress, and was sorry she wasn't really used again. But de-aging her parents and basically making her a teen mom was a weird creative choice. Despite the darkness, I'd have rather they died.

Wish some of the girls had gotten solo series - I'd definitely have checked them out for some of them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I deeply disagree and think Roxy cared very much. She was a caricature at first, but by the end I liked her better than Tana. Very disappointed by the ending of both characters. They got screwed.

Rex, did not care at all, and ruined his daughter's life to boot.

I liked Empress, and was sorry she wasn't really used again. But de-aging her parents and basically making her a teen mom was a weird creative choice. Despite the darkness, I'd have rather they died.

Wish some of the girls had gotten solo series - I'd definitely have checked them out for some of them.

Deeply disagree...

Maybe Roxy cared later more for him, but at the beginning it was ALWAYS Tana who was like an older sister for him...She protected him, also pushed Roxy and Rex out of the room etc.
    How was Roxy screwed?

Tana died, but Roxy became a Cop or?

I would LOVE to see Empress especially coming back...I am hoping for a bigger Team with Static,Traci 13,Empress....

Empress with her voodoo skills is cool and I would rather have her than Amethyst in the Series..

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really liked Secret and thought she had a great look. Greta was a great addition to DC and I was sad to see her go. Her and Empress were better than any of the new Teen Titans that have been created since (except for Bunker because he is another awesome character thrown to the side in favor of much lesser characters)

Maybe Roxy cared later more for him, but at the beginning it was ALWAYS Tana who was like an older sister for him...She protected him, also pushed Roxy and Rex out of the room etc.
    How was Roxy screwed?

Tana died, but Roxy became a Cop or?
    Tana was nothing like an older sister. She cared and was protective, but it was definitely not sisterly. And Roxy protected him, too. Great scene in #11 where she throws herself into the fray to get SB his heat vision glasses. And Tana's didn't exactly start in the instant she met him. She was just after the story in the very first meeting. Though certainly she cared soon after.

Roxy did become a cop, which was great. But then her dad got in trouble and owed money and she had to leave and take off looking for him. Showed up again after, only to get possessed. Then leave with dad, again - you know, the dad that keeps causing problems. It's not as horrifically horrible as Tana's, of course, but she never gets to accomplish thing and be more, like she worked so hard for. Guess it's not an "end" but it's a disappointment for me as a fan of her character. She's apparently going to spend her whole life cleaning up after him.

I feel like Supeboy's supporting characters get screwed. Of course, it happens to all supporting characters when books get changed up (still bitter about Bart's crew, Preston and Carol). But Superboy repeatedly says Roxy is like a sister to him (though she was romantically interested), and then she just drops off. Dubbilex was the closes thing he had to a dad. But they weren't a good enough family, and ultimately he needed Clark's hometown and Clark's parents, and I really don't like that. I liked Dubbilex and Roxy interacting with each other, too. I get attached to supporting casts and hate when they are dropped.