Default Bristol's relationship to Gotham

All references I see say that Bristol is a proper town, rather than a neighborhood on the outskirts of Gotham. Crest Hill is the richest area there. Where Bruce lives and Tim used to (back when his father was alive). But Tim attended Gotham Heights then. So I’m trying to figure out if they shipped their students to Gotham (one of the nicer schools there) instead of having their own school. Or if their school was just named Gotham Heights for some reason.

The biggest thing with me if that Bruce is so tied to Gotham, fixated on it, possessive of it, etc., but I cannot recall him ever mentioning anything about Bristol. Have we ever heard of a town council or a mayor or elections or well, anything that discusses any sort of political or municipal entity in Bristol?

When did the name "Bristol" even get introduced?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

According to this Batman wiki, the earliest mention seems to be Bristol Country Club in Secret Origin #20 1987

I didn't even know that place is supposed to be a township since the New 52 onward never mention or show anything except Wayne Manor. So, as far as I know, nobody else even lives there.

In New 52 The Drakes live downtown and they're not as rich as Post Crisis. Kinda more like regular middle-upper class family.

Astonishing Member

Dude town, village and city layouts on the East Coast are bonkers in real life. Just gotta roll with it.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member

When it comes to the name of the school.

Birstol was iirc located in Gotham Country (opposed to Gotham city), and iirc Tim's school was located outside of Gotham and was therefore still running during No Man's Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    When it comes to the name of the school.

Birstol was iirc located in Gotham Country (opposed to Gotham city), and iirc Tim's school was located outside of Gotham and was therefore still running during No Man's Land.
    That makes sense. Ariana lived in the city, though, I thought? I know, though, that city students had to be sent to Tim's school for a bit (Steph made an appearance while pregnant, IIRC), but I thought Ariana was there all along?

EDIT: Did some re-reading. Looks like she moved to his school after her family sold the store.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That makes sense. Ariana lived in the city, though, I thought? I know, though, that city students had to be sent to Tim's school for a bit (Steph made an appearance while pregnant, IIRC), but I thought Ariana was there all along?

EDIT: Did some re-reading. Looks like she moved to his school after her family sold the store.
    If i recall it correctly Bruce kind of arranged it, that Ariana's family found a new store in that area after they sold their old one.

Steph iirc went to Tim's school after her's was closed. But Steph did live in the suburbs and not in Gotham city it self.
    There is this common misconception that Steph would come from Crime Alley, the Narrows or an equally bad part of Gotham. But she actually lived in the quite nice suburban house.

In general most of the stories from the Robin series in the Chuck Dixon era take place in Gotham Country and not in Gotham City itself. That's why Shotgun Smith, the Sheriff of Gotham Country, is usually appears there instead of one of the GCPD cops.

Steph iirc went to Tim's school after her's was closed. But Steph did live in the suburbs and not in Gotham city it self.
    There is this common misconception that Steph would come from Crime Alley, the Narrows or an equally bad part of Gotham. But she actually lived in the quite nice suburban house.
    Oh, I know about that. I have been annoyed by it. Especially from fanfic authors who know it (I think most of who use it don't), but change it up to make her more like Jason to further that dynamic. I like Steph better than Jason, so her character history being sacrificed to serve Jason's relationship storyline does not please me.

Though to me, Steph's house looked smaller (cheaper looking landscaping too) than the place Ariana moved into after an extremely high offer on the store. Not bad at all, just older/smaller (the two often together in my head for houses).

Edit: If anyone reads this thread much later, and knows of any reference to Bristol government, please feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-28-2019 at 03:21 PM.