Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Classic FM songs you CANT STAND!

For me it's :

Kool and the Gang Summer Madness - instrumental that sounds like an alarm after a while. Usually like K&tG but I found the 12 minute version a bit much

"Oh, what a night" - this gets kinda creepier with each passing year. Do you really wanna hear about some guy bragging about the time he got lucky in "late December 1963"?

"Walk, like a man" (for #$% sake ! SING like a man!)

and YOU?

Astonishing Member

Every 'classic rock' station regular like Journey, Boston, and Foreigner.

Mighty Member

American pie

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    American pie
    I get the metaphors now that I'm older, but it still comes off as a dopey song. You might as well be playing "Video Killed the Radio Star".

Anything by Michael Jackson. I was ambivalent on his music before his child molestation came to light. Now it makes me cringe when radio stations still play his music.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Anything by Michael Jackson. I was ambivalent on his music before his child molestation came to light. Now it makes me cringe when radio stations still play his music.
    Same here. I can't listen to his music anymore either.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

With a title like "Classic FM songs you CANT STAND!", I guess I was expecting something different.

At least half the music mentioned here were AM Top 40 songs when I was a kid.

I guess it's a generational thing, and for some of those songs, maybe you "had to be there".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    With a title like "Classic FM songs you CANT STAND!", I guess I was expecting something different.

At least half the music mentioned here were AM Top 40 songs when I was a kid.

I guess it's a generational thing, and for some of those songs, maybe you "had to be there".
    Certainly the case with "Oh What A Night" since its literally about an 18 year old's first love affair from the perspective of a 30 old (in '75).

"You had to be there" is kinda the Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons whole deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    For me it's :

Kool and the Gang Summer Madness - instrumental that sounds like an alarm after a while. Usually like K&tG but I found the 12 minute version a bit much

"Oh, what a night" - this gets kinda creepier with each passing year. Do you really wanna hear about some guy bragging about the time he got lucky in "late December 1963"?

"Walk, like a man" (for #$% sake ! SING like a man!)

and YOU?
    Those are all pop hit AM songs. FM was Album Oriented Rock with songs that didn't fit in the Top 40 pop. FM is where bands like Zep and Pink Floyd lived.

I listen to Classic Rock now and I don't think any of those songs were every played.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I always equated classic FM more with what's nowadays lumped together as 'Classic Rock'. Led Zeppelin, Boston and the like.

I can't stand anything by George Thorogood. I cringe whenever something like his cover of 'One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer' comes on the radio.

How that guy managed to bag himself a major record deal back in the day I'll never know. I can't locate an iota of talent in him.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I always equated classic FM more with what's nowadays lumped together as 'Classic Rock'. Led Zeppelin, Boston and the like.

I can't stand anything by George Thorogood. I cringe whenever something like his cover of 'One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer' comes on the radio.

How that guy managed to bag himself a major record deal back in the day I'll never know. I can't locate an iota of talent in him.
    Agree on him. Can't stand the song I Drink Alone.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This might be seen as blasphemy to some, but I've always found "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin to be pretentious crapola. In fact, I've NEVER understood the appeal of that band.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    This might be seen as blasphemy to some, but I've always found "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin to be pretentious crapola. In fact, I've NEVER understood the appeal of that band.
    Blasphemer! Away with you witch! Stone Him
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The pretentious assertion isn't without merit. Robert Plant later regretted a lot of the lyrical content of the song. It's still awesome though, as are Zeppelin. So, yeah, BLASPHEMY!

This is also a controversial one. Although I like The Rolling Stones well enough I can't stand one of their most celebrated songs, 'Sympathy For The Devil'. It's the repetitive 'hoo hoo' backing vocals in it. They drive me mad.

Classic "bathroom break" song for disc jockeys back in the day, before everything was automated.
    (Been there, done that, but with other songs since I never worked at a "Classic Rock"-formatted station.)