Mighty Member

Default Bat-Family confusion

Because there's so many allies with Batman, I'd really like to simplify things...the big three that I'm focusing on are Batman, the Robins, and the Batgirls. As I'm reading Bat's story, because those three started with Batman since the beginning, I felt like it would be simpler. I mean if I don't really have an interest in Duke or Harper. But I do know they pop up in the book from time to time.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I’m... honestly not sure what your question is or what exactly you are confused about. Would you mind clarifying?

Mighty Member

when it comes to the Bat mythos, the big three to read and follow would be Bats, the Robins and the Batgirls? It's not necessary to keep up with Batwoman?

Ya Batman, Robin, and Batgirl are at the epicenter of the Batfamily. The big members have been one of them at some point. Not counting Batman’s main support like Alfred and Gordon.

If you are looking for what's essential to the bat mythos, the only essential reads are Batman and Detective. Nightwing, Batwoman, and Red Hood do their own thing, Batgirl is inconsequential, and Tim has become redundant; even Robin largely operates on his own with the Teen Titans.

Also (and I don't know why people still feel the need to single her out in threads like this) Harper is retired, has been for years now.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    If you are looking for what's essential to the bat mythos, the only essential reads are Batman and Detective. Nightwing, Batwoman, and Red Hood do their own thing, Batgirl is inconsequential, and Tim has become redundant; even Robin largely operates on his own with the Teen Titans.

Also (and I don't know why people still feel the need to single her out in threads like this) Harper is retired, has been for years now.
    I’m not sure why Batgirl is singled out as more inconsequential than Nightwing or Red Hood? She is at least the most likely Batfamily member to feature in a major event, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    when it comes to the Bat mythos, the big three to read and follow would be Bats, the Robins and the Batgirls? It's not necessary to keep up with Batwoman?
    Just read the characters you enjoy the most - they are pretty much self-contained. Just like Batman? Stick to Batman and Detective Comics. Same goes for other members of the Bat-Fam, stick to the ones you like, ignore the rest. You'll only see them in big crossovers events and guest appearances that way. If something gets referenced and you're looking for context, wiki it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    I’m not sure why Batgirl is singled out as more inconsequential than Nightwing or Red Hood? She is at least the most likely Batfamily member to feature in a major event, 2019.
    Right, two in a row. While Nightwing and Red Hood are now just fodder for DC’s protected good old boy utility guys, to spin tier wheels and get some work with self contained books no one at DC really care about.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-20-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Because there's so many allies with Batman, I'd really like to simplify things...the big three that I'm focusing on are Batman, the Robins, and the Batgirls. As I'm reading Bat's story, because those three started with Batman since the beginning, I felt like it would be simpler. I mean if I don't really have an interest in Duke or Harper. But I do know they pop up in the book from time to time.
    Well in the Gold and Silver ages it was:
    - Batman
    - Robin
    - Alfred
    - Gordon
    - Batwoman (Kathy Kane)
    - Batgirl (Betty Kane)
    - Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
    - Huntress (Helena Wayne)
    - Manhunter

Since the Modern age it's been:
    - Batman
    - Alfred
    - Robin (Dick Grayson)
    - Gordon
    - Bullock
    - Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
    - Nightwing (Dick Grayson)
    - Robin (Jason Tod)
    - Robin (Tim Drake)
    - Oracle (Barbara Gordon)
    - Azrael
    - Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)
    - Huntress (Cassandra Cain)
    - Batgirl (Casandra Cain)
    - Red Robin (Tim Drake)
    - Red Hood (Jason Tod)
    - Lucius Fox
    - Robin (Damian Wayne)
    - Batwoman (Kate Kane)
    - The Spoiler (Stephanie Brown)
    - Batgirl (Stephanie Brown)
    - Orphan (Casandra Cain)
    - The Signal (Duke Thomas)
    - Batwing (Luke Fox)

If you read the Batman title, you'll mainly see Batman, Alfred and Robin.
    If you read the Dectective Comics title, you'll come across more often with the extented familly.
    But the Familly member that have been here for long, now have there own adventures (the Robins, Batgirl, Azrael, ...) and appear in their own titles or other teams.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Are you're talking about the Batman mythos overall or only at present? Because at present, beginning to the start of New 52 none of them are important enough.

The Batman title runs its own story, the family showing up occasionally with news of what's been happening to them, but you don't need to read their books.

On the other hand, when you read the family books, you sometimes have to read Batman book because the changes that happen there affect their story, sometimes drastically.

Mighty Member

yeah I was talking about the present story. I'll read the TT series along with Batgirl.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

yeah I was talking about the present story. I'll read the TT series along with Batgirl.
    Yeah just read what you want.

The title directly affected by Batman is Nightwing. One crossover, one drastic change.

Batwoman launched from Detective Comics, but aside from that, I think you can read it on your own.
    Red Hood has a change caused by Batman the character but not Batman the book.
    Teen Titans will be affected by Justice League and Detective Comics down the line.
    Batgirl's completely unrelated. Same with Birds of Prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yeah just read what you want.

The title directly affected by Batman is Nightwing. One crossover, one drastic change.

Batwoman launched from Detective Comics, but aside from that, I think you can read it on your own.
    Red Hood has a change caused by Batman the character but not Batman the book.
    Teen Titans will be affected by Justice League and Detective Comics down the line.
    Batgirl's completely unrelated. Same with Birds of Prey.
    While that's true at the moment , I'm not sure it will be for much longer with the the upcoming B-man who laughs/James Gordon Jr and YOTV stuff.

Mighty Member

James Gordon Jr.? What is YOTV?

James Gordon Jr.? What is YOTV?
    That's her brother(?) I believe. In one of the books they kind of tease a thing that I'm not sure you'd understand what is being teased without reading the Dark Knights: Metal event (or the Batman who Laughs mini series, I’m not sure which one tbh). It's not a big plot point in the book currently but I have to assume it will be down the line. Or might not be addressed at all, hard to say really.

As for Year of the Villian (YOTV) it's a wide line event of sorts that's spinning off of the Justice League book. Basic idea is Lex Luthor uses his resources to make offers to various heroes and villians in the DC universe and Babs is one of them. I believe its supposed to start next month so it's currently unclear if it can be consumed and understood on its own or if it requires context of what's going on with the DCU at large.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 06-20-2019 at 07:45 AM.