Thread: Doris

Default Doris

With the last arc Diana saw Doris as a good person. So o you think this would mean GW might might Doris a anti hero?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    With the last arc Diana saw Doris as a good person. So o you think this would mean GW might might Doris a anti hero?
    Y'know, not everybody may automatically know who "Doris" is just by that one name.

Maybe you should have mentioned her better-known name as well: I'm assuming you're talking about Giganta?

I'm not sure Wilson persented Giganta as a good person. More complex, with a high dose of mercenary and amoral elements. In a way, not that different from the way she presented Aphrodite.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

How should Giganta be written? I don't know going off of the original one maybe keep the whole she lost her child. But add to it. She and her kid both had the same disease. She tries to find a cure and tries to being her kid back with the help of Diana?

I dont want to see Giganta become a hero, not really even an anti-hero, but I do like it when she's written to be more complex and morally ambiguous.

One of the big things in the early comics was Diana helping her villains find redemption. That hasn't really happened in a long time and I think Doris would be a great choice for such a development. She's a big name WW foe, but not one people put much time or effort or development into so you could really push the idea of her trying to be a better person (or at least not break the law) without really losing much. And there's a lot of room between "villain" and "hero" for her to exist in, where she can still throw a punch at Diana occasionally without being a random "we need an action scene in this issue" bad guy.

Honestly, the best thing anyone has done with Giganta in years and years was Morrison and Simone when they had her date Ryan Choi. That was one of the best relationship concepts in comics; she grows, he shrinks, she's a villain, he's a hero, she's a confident cougar, he's an awkward nerd.....the comedy writes itself. I'd be very interested in seeing Doris try to turn her life around without going full-blown superhero.

At the very least, she could be the "neutral third party" in the book who calls out both heroes and villains on their BS.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-21-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If there is one thing I dislike is how sometimes they write her as dumb when she becomes taller. Another thing of what if she can both shrink and grow? Now how many origins have there been of her ? I know the golden age had her been a gorilla turns human. In super friends she stolen so magic. In others she tries to steal Diana’s body. However, would would be simple. Why not have her want to be taller?

Giganta's always been one of the villains with weak reasons to be a villain. DCAU she's one of Grodd's minions.

There's not a lot about her actual past in Superfriends. She had a cowgirl sort of look, and tracked down Apache Chief to steal the "medicine" bundle that gave him his powers. Why? How did she know about it? The scene answered only one question: how did Doris Zuel get powers? It raised a lot more since we can't fill in the blanks from the comics. She did however describe herself as "evil" though. This would seem to suggest that she had malicious intent behind obtaining powers.

This is one reason why I feel she is better has neutral than a actually villain. We know she is a Dr but what should be the reason in wanting the powers? She can be petty person? Or she wanted to get powers but it goes wrong.

I love the potential of Giganta, that just hasn't been realized yet. As one of Diana's deadly, diabolical doctors, I'd like to see as much emphasis put on Doctor Zuel as her gigantic form gets.

Being hired muscle and a background villain for collections of villains coming together isn't enough. She needs to be explored more deeply as a brilliant and flawed doctor and scientist in her own right. Especially as one who lives in a world of superheroes, gods, demigods, extraterrestrials, extradimensionals, magical beings and creatures, monsters, other races, etc.

Her personal experience with a degenerative disease is also something that gets overlooked regularly.

If I had my way, I'd have a second title running in parallel with Wonder Woman that focuses on her adversaries and provides some strong, clear characterization for them that helps other writers take what's been developed and run with it further. Doris Zuel would absolutely be one of the characters that gets developed in a more in-depth way.

Maybe she could experiment on herself? That the medical community didn't want to take things to far in her experiments? She is a good doctor but often known for her temper. She wanted to be treated seriously. However, her temper and height get in the way. This leads into her getting a unknown disease. She finds out Diana has a healing ray gun. She gets it. However, Diana has said sadly it doesn't work due to the fact Amazons have have a special item to make it work. She works with Doris. Doris tests out and she gets her powers by that. It wouldn't be the first time the purple ray has given someone powers. Should she be able to grow taller than 50 feet? I mean the tallest building is 2,722ft
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-01-2019 at 09:02 AM.

My version of Doris plays up the doctor/scientist angle, and that also plays into her origin and how she got her powers and why she sometimes allies herself with other villains as muscle. (She has her own personal and sinister reasons for doing so.)

Honestly when it comes to Doris, I would make her already tall.I mean one thing I dislike with DC is making her unintelligent. I often wonder going off Golden Age should she have a daughter? Than again we are talking about her being a gorilla