Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

A couple with Jason.

First, no longer being the Dick clone, as mentioned above. The second, was developing his character with New52 (though leaving UTRH canon, almost everything else pre-Flashpoint was erased).

Damian getting people in his "own group", so to speak, to interact with. Maya, Jon, the current cast of Teen Titans... Yeah.

Supes and Lois becoming parents. As divisive as this seems to be, Jon was a great addition to the family and Clark learning how to be a father along the way (early Trinity Rebirth did a great part where it showed Pa Kent learning how to be a parent to Clark while developing powers).

Axing Super/Wonder. Never liked it, and made me feel very uncomfortable. And this is probably not going to win many points amongst certain Super fans.

Getting rid of the sex pirate Amazons. It just ran so counter to what the Amazons had long stood for, I was happy to see it go.

Bruce and Diana guarding/being there for Jon's birth at the end of Superman Reborn. Prior, Jon was born during Convergence, making the Kents rather odd. With it though, it showed the tight friendship between the Trinity.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Kents being alive is the big one. It just gave Clark so much more depth being able to go and spend some time with Ma and Pa now and then. Killing them back off with the Nu52 for no other real reason than "because it was that way in the Golden Age" nonsense was a huge mistake.. I don't care if the Morrison fanboys come at me it was.

Here’s a controversial one. I like Thawne killing Barry’s mom. It was there when I started reading the character. They’ve done interesting stuff with it. And I’m used to it. Moving on here are less controversial thoughts.

-Alfred raising Bruce. Also just the transition from Alfred Beagle to Alfred Pennyworth
    -Jason Todd’s post crisis origin
    -Hal was possessed by Parallax
    -Lex Luthor is half of Conner’s dna donor
    -Lex Luthor as a CEO
    -At least one of the Kents being alive
    -Superman and Wonder Woman never dated
    -Getting rid of the new 52 Amazons. I like Azzarello’s run, but the murder sex was a bad idea.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Covering the Trinity first

Superman
    1. Clark is who I am, Superman is what I do: He arrived as an infant, or in the case of the Byrne origin, was technically conceived on Krypton but born on Earth. Depending on the origin, he arrived as an infant or still in a techno-womb. He grew up here, went to school here, live as Clark for years, etc. Moreover, he did so in a loving, functional family environment. How could he not think of himself as Clark? To my mind, any other approach is ludicrous. He'd still feel a loss for what might have been with Krypton. Who wouldn't?
    2. Ma & Pa Kent being alive: It was something we'd only seen for Superboy. I'd argue that a character who lost his whole planet of origin has sufficient tragedy without killing off his parents too. Plus, there is more story to be told with them both alive than with one or both dead.

Batman
    1. Thomas Wayne dressing up as a Batman of sorts for a costume party back in the day. It is a goofy, fun Silver Age story, and I love it.
    2. Jason Todd's post Crisis origin: Not just being a younger Dick Grayson under a new name should have been the case from the beginning.
    3. By & large, all the Barbatos stuff: quite fun

Wonder Woman
    Her mom being the golden age Wonder Woman, and her romance with Wildcat - Short of Diana herself living in the WW2 era for a bit, there is no better way to fill the gap that was left post-Crisis. Plus, it was a new, interesting way to use her mom. It was better, in my opinion, than using her as an afterthought or an antagonist.
    Getting rid of the bondage themes: Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't want to see those themes with a mainstream, high profile character like Diana.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Green Lantern
    Pretty much everything Johns brought to the table

Flash
    The Speed Force hasn't been used well, but I think it has done a great more good than bad to the mythos.
    Wally's Rebirth Return - Even if they've made a mess of him from the start, I'm glad he's back. Ditto for the real Bart Allen/Impulse!

Young Justice
    The return of Conner, Bart, Tim's original origin & identity - The New 52 changes were a travesty.

JL/JLI
    I'll preface with saying that I'd prefer the Blue & Gold alive & well, sharing the pre-New 52 time guardian mission. Ted and Jaime are different enough to co-exist as Blue Beetles.
    Booster's pre-New 52 rescue of Ted and Ted returning to face & accept his death: It gave Ted's death the heroism and meaning it had lacked.
    The current Captain Marvel family - I don't prefer it, but I like it nearly as much as the more classic setup.
    Power Girl's original origin being reinstated.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I really like what was done with Jason's time between his resurrection and his return. I love all the All-Caste stuff and hope it gets expanded on further in the future.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Parallax the yellow fear bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The new-52 Shazam family. The new members are a pretty good addition.
    yeah, they're pretty great. I think the New 52 Shazam and Aquaman are overall close to flawless, and what the whole New 52 reboot should have been like.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is going to get me bounced but I liked the New 52 Superman. His history and origin(s) was a mess by that point and he needed a clean slate. I can't speak for what it did to the rest of the DCU but I think Superman needed it.
    I really feel Superman and Wonder Woman's pre-Flashpoint continuities were dead in the water and don't dislike the idea of scrapping everything on paper. Like I've said before, Morrison's run on Superman was pretty close to flawless and iconic if not for that eyesore of a Jim Lee costume. The problem is it didn't last nearly long enough and DC didn't have a coherent direction in mind for Superman after Morrison, so I'm not in love with New 52 Superman as a whole and it's wasted potential.

Wonder Woman is even worse. I have no problems with ditching everything for her, the problem is the changes they did make were pretty tone deaf and missed the point of the character. So that was her main book, and meanwhile Johns was firing off random details about Steve and Cheetah in JL and losing interest in them quickly, none of it gelled together or developed. It was a house of cards that collapsesed fairly quickly.

Boisterously Confused

The Kent's being alive. It was good to see Superman leaning on his parents for wisdom and love even in his adult years. I often wish my dad was here for me to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is going to get me bounced but I liked the New 52 Superman. His history and origin(s) was a mess by that point and he needed a clean slate. I can't speak for what it did to the rest of the DCU but I think Superman needed it.
    I'm with you. The pseudo-Golden Age was a stroke of genius, the decision to make Jon more aggressively anti-establishment in Clark's upbringing is great, and generally Morrison's run works as a blueprint for the ideal Superman, one that unifies many disparate elements of the character which badly needed a return to prominence after decades of disuse. Not that Morrison's run was perfect, or the rest of the post-Flashpoint world after it, but the character himself was exactly where I wanted him to be, barring only one or two minor details. I'll kind of never forgive DC for killing him off. Still, I think the best elements of his character stuck around for at least a couple years in the more convoluted Rebirth Superman, even though that "clean slate" Superman needed so badly was suddenly filled with endless clutter.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

Kathy Kane was a super-spy and is actually better than Batman at her job.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Reverting to Jonathan and Martha Kent being deceased by Clark's adulthood (enjoying this while I can as Doomsday Clock looks to stupidly bring them back)
    Superman and Lois not being married
    Superman no longer being considered a mask
    Getting rid of teenage jock Clark Kent.
    Jason Todd coming back to life.
    Jason Todd's means of coming back to life not the Superboy-Prime punch but a Lazarus Pit thanks to Talia.
    The reason for the GL yellow impurity.
    The reason why Hal Jordan went mad.
    Wonder Woman returned to being a founder of the JLA
    The real Winslow Schott not being a child murderer
    The concept of the Speed Force

Surely a lot more but that's just off the top of my head, and mostly Superman stuff because that's my biggest fandom.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-21-2019 at 12:04 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Billy Batson and Captain Marvel/Shazam being one and the same mentally.
    Last edited by Rod G; 06-21-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Billy Batson and Captain Marvel/Shazam being one and the same mentally.
    Good one. I like that, too. Though I don't always like how it's written. He's still supposed to have the wisdom of Solomon. Like in the YJ cartoon, Billy seemed smarter than Captain Marvel (who seemed like a ditz). While they have the same consciousness, I do think they should have differences in perception. And that Captain Marvel should actually be successful at passing as an adult during super-hero social interactions.

Retired

Keep naming retcons and maybe there will be one I agree with. The only one I like so far is the Swamp Thing one--but that's because it isn't a retcon. I maintain that any writer should be able to change the direction of a character without doing a retcon and the example I always think of is how Alan Moore changed the direction of Swamp Thing without every throwing out any of what Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson did. Everything they established was kept, it's just that Swamp Thing was unaware of his true nature.

Alan Moore's Swampt Thing

George Perez's Wonder Woman

Cass Cain being mind controlled by Deathstroke