Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Apparently some actual comics creators aren't happy about this either.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06...te-spider-man/
    I’ve also had several pitches turned down and emails not returned from the big two. But for me, after all that, I’ve realized that this industry, like all others, is all about who you know. It’s never been about quality or the best man for the job. And it never will be. It will always be about who knows who.

And even then, as someone with contacts, I’ve still had stuff turned down. So what’s the lesson?

Maybe we aren’t good writers! That’s always a possibility. Maybe the editors think we suck. Maybe I got drunk at a party and hit on Quesada’s wife.

I think the only take away is this: life isn’t fair. Quality means dick and you work hard doing what you love and sometimes you don’t make it big. We aren’t artists because it pays well or because it’s easy. We’re artist because we’re artists. It’s what we do. We don’t have a choice in the matter.

If this gets you all riled up, well, good. Maybe we can effect change.

If JJ is talking through the outline with Henry, that means JJ is a co-writer, therefore he is writing the comic.

Since the book only exists because of JJ's brand and the attention it would get for Marvel, no job was taken from Wally Writer or Sally Scripter.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

The real problem is how they handled the revelation. The backlash would not be that bad without the countdown and if they didn't played with our expectations ("it's not bout Spider-man 4 or the end of one more day, it's way better trust us !")
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Lol at people complaining about this. It’s like kids complaining their rich neighbor gets all the cool toys.

There are a million other injustices in the world that deserve attention over this. As for this one, simple “life is not fair, get over it” should suffice.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 06-21-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    I’ve also had several pitches turned down and emails not returned from the big two. But for me, after all that, I’ve realized that this industry, like all others, is all about who you know. It’s never been about quality or the best man for the job. And it never will be. It will always be about who knows who.

And even then, as someone with contacts, I’ve still had stuff turned down. So what’s the lesson?

Maybe we aren’t good writers! That’s always a possibility. Maybe the editors think we suck. Maybe I got drunk at a party and hit on Quesada’s wife.

I think the only take away is this: life isn’t fair. Quality means dick and you work hard doing what you love and sometimes you don’t make it big. We aren’t artists because it pays well or because it’s easy. We’re artist because we’re artists. It’s what we do. We don’t have a choice in the matter.

If this gets you all riled up, well, good. Maybe we can effect change.
    There is an old saying "It's not what you know it's who you know." Not saying it is right but that is the way Hollywood and the entertainment industry has worked from the days of industry mavens like Darryl Zanuck and Cecil B. Demille through powerful families like the Fonda's, and Redgrave's right up until today. Will it change? I really doubt it.

I’m looking forward to this, BTW. 😀

Astonishing Member

Wow, it gets even worse. From that article it sounds JJ is NOT writing it and is merely serving as a consultant to his son. That’s nowhere near the same as being a co-writer. He’s not initiating the idea, he’s not co-scripting, he’s not plotting. It sounds like what it is, is the equivalent of someone writing some fan-fiction and me giving some constructive feedback in a comment to improve it.
    Look at Paul Jenkins’ bitter twitter response about it. He’s one of the most underrated Spidey writers of all time and hasn’t been given a gig on the character for well over a decade. Give him a mini!

Finally, I’m not a big fan of Bleeding Cool, but I love this takedown they wrote: It can take decades of hard work to make a name for yourself in the comic book industry, rising through the ranks until you finally have a chance to produce stories about one of the industry’s prestigious flagship characters. Or, you could just be a famous movie director and his 20-year-old son and skip right to the big time. *cue America the Beautiful*
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-22-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    There are a million other injustices in the world that deserve attention over this.
    It's a Spider-Man message board. Should we be discussing potable water systems in the Third World?

As for this one, simple “life is not far, get over it” should suffice.
    Well, the creative fields get a fair amount of leeway and some legal exceptions, but there are actually laws about unfair hiring practices.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Wow, it gets even worse. From that article it sounds JJ is NOT writing it and is merely serving as a consultant to his son. That’s nowhere near the same as being a co-writer. He’s not initiating the idea, he’s not co-scripting, he’s not plotting. It sounds like what it is, is the equivalent of someone writing some fan-fiction and me giving some constructive feedback in a comment to improve it.
    Look at Paul Jenkins’ bitter twitter response about it. He’s one of the most underrated Spidey writers of all time and hasn’t been given a gig on the character for well over a decade. Give him a mini!

Finally, I’m not a big fan of Bleeding Cool, but I love this takedown they wrote: It can take decades of hard work to make a name for yourself in the comic book industry, rising through the ranks until you finally have a chance to produce stories about one of the industry’s prestigious flagship characters. Or, you could just be a famous movie director and his 20-year-old son and skip right to the big time. *cue America the Beautiful*
    Marvel is probably putting out 120 book in September. If they wanted to give Paul Jenkins or anyone else a series, a mini, a one-shot or even a page of Marvels #1002 they sure as hell can. The only reason JJ (and his son) are getting this gig is because it is (or was supposed to be) good publicity for Marvel. If this is the comic that is supposed to sell a million units, expect there to already be some giveaway gimmick with some other company that will just happen to be distributed through and invoiced by Diamond.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-22-2019 at 07:25 AM.

We don't know if it'll be good. It doesn't exist yet. How the thing is made doesn't effect its quality. It has one of the best artists. It is a passion project of one of the best editors. It'll probably be okay.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It's a Spider-Man message board. Should we be discussing potable water systems in the Third World?

Well, the creative fields get a fair amount of leeway and some legal exceptions, but there are actually laws about unfair hiring practices.
    Meh. To me it’s no big deal. This kind of stuff happens every day all around the world. Different jobs and gigs are acquired by some much easier than others. And legally. I just think it’s funny that people care so much about this one instance. It’s just a mini. Now If they kicked off Spencer off ASM and put Henry on because it would attract more attention, I would be furious.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 06-21-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    You could be right, and you could be wrong.
    If it's mediocre and sales are low, it still could have worked out.

If it's good and/ or sales are decent, he's definitely wrong.

I’ll repeat what I said before. Joe Hill has proven himself. Henry Abrams has not. There’s the difference. Having a famous Dad shouldn’t give you automatic privilege to do whatever you want without earning your way like everyone else. Unlike Henry, Joe earned it.
    Joe Hill is successful, but there is no obligation for him to do it that way.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The relevant questions are whether Marvel can reasonably expect this to make money, and the only real downside is whether it can hurt the Spider-Man brand. Questions of fairness are a waste of time.

I like Jenkins' Spider-Man, but if he doesn't get gigs, it's because he doesn't sell consistently. Complaining about Marvel is also not going to increase his chances of getting work in the future.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-22-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Joe Hill earned his success and reputation without cashing in on his father's name, since he kept that aspect of his identity a secret for the first decade of his career. He was appreciated for his output, not his name. That's why it would not be an issue if he wrote a comic with his Dad. He's proven he can write and write well. Maybe Henry can write too, but I'd rather see evidence of that before he gets a sweetheart deal on a Spidey mini series due to being a son of privilege. He literally has no professional experience. I don't know about you, but inherited privilege based on who your parents happen to be makes me feel queasy when so many work so hard to get where they are.
    Funny how we're all assuming that the younger Abrams was included on the project because of his father and not because he showed himself to be qualified in some way. Marvel is a business and, even if there's a pro attached, they're not just going to hand the keys of their prize franchise off to a newbie with nothing but a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, I for one am not surprised by such reactions. I thought this project would be either a Spider-Man Four comic adaption or else Spidey teaming with the Fantastic Four. What I'm getting at is I understand the disappointment. Plus, JJ is a very divisive figure these days in certain circles even without the charge of nepotism.
    I get it, too, since I was hoping for the SM4 story, but we knew that that was not going to happen almost right away, so I'm not sure of the need to belabor the point. News to me that Abrams was controversial outside of Trekkie circles. Heck, his involvement is elevating this project for me (and I'm no fan of his Star Trek stuff).
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-22-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Funny how we're all assuming that the younger Abrams was included on the project because of his father and not because he showed himself to be qualified in some way. Marvel is a business and, even if there's a pro attached, they're not just going to hand the keys of their prize franchise off to a newbie with nothing but a name.
    Well you're contradicting yourself here. Because he hasn't shown anything that prooves he is qualified. Yet he is there.