Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    While I did not quote it, I was referring to the post above mine.

Even then, the point still stands, this is a creative project where a father wants to work with his son on writing a story. I doubt Marvel felt forced to do this, I would not be surprised if they thought it was a better idea than just having JJ.
    I’ll repeat what I said before. Joe Hill has proven himself. Henry Abrams has not. There’s the difference. Having a famous Dad shouldn’t give you automatic privilege to do whatever you want without earning your way like everyone else. Unlike Henry, Joe earned it.

iMan 42s

I'm curious how Marvel would've felt this was a good idea to include both because based on Henry Abram's IMDB, he's not a writer nor does he have the experience to wing it cause he's doing stuff at the art department.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Which begs the question, does Henry have heretofore hidden talents that the public is unaware of, that impressed Marvel?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’ll repeat what I said before. Joe Hill has proven himself. Henry Abrams has not. There’s the difference. Having a famous Dad shouldn’t give you automatic privilege to do whatever you want without earning your way like everyone else. Unlike Henry, Joe earned it.
    Earned what? Co-writing with his dad? It is not like JJ Abrams is EiC of Marvel and handing his son Amazing Spider-Man. They are a pair of freelancers being contracted by Marvel and I can say with 100% confidence that Henry didn't take someone else's job.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Which begs the question, does Henry have heretofore hidden talents that the public is unaware of, that impressed Marvel?
    To be honest, I am still questioning what JJ provided (writing-wise) that impressed Marvel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Earned what? Co-writing with his dad?
    Joe Hill earned his success and reputation without cashing in on his father's name, since he kept that aspect of his identity a secret for the first decade of his career. He was appreciated for his output, not his name. That's why it would not be an issue if he wrote a comic with his Dad. He's proven he can write and write well. Maybe Henry can write too, but I'd rather see evidence of that before he gets a sweetheart deal on a Spidey mini series due to being a son of privilege. He literally has no professional experience. I don't know about you, but inherited privilege based on who your parents happen to be makes me feel queasy when so many work so hard to get where they are.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-22-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Wow, even IGN turned on Marvel?! You know it's bad when IGN hates on something. Maybe we should give it a chance. I hear that JJ and his kid are working on a new villain called Mystery Box. It should be awesome, look at what JJ has done with Star Trek and Star Wars.

Sure, the Star Trek films are dead now because Pine refused to come back and Star Wars has split it's fanbase and stars like Hamill and Boyega are going on record as trashing the choices made.

But now JJ is over at Warner Brothers, so it's only a matter of time before he works his special kind of magic on the DC characters.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Noticed the Twitter thread where this dropped has more negative responses then positive ones. Sad to see that.
    Well, I for one am not surprised by such reactions. I thought this project would be either a Spider-Man Four comic adaption or else Spidey teaming with the Fantastic Four. What I'm getting at is I understand the disappointment. Plus, JJ is a very divisive figure these days in certain circles even without the charge of nepotism.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-21-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The guy in the video mispronounced 'Pichelli'.

Keeps happening with Gal Gadot too.

Is there a reading comprehension issue, because I explained perfectly clearly the difference between Joe Hill's situation and Henry Abrams twice already. Again and for the final time, Joe Hill earned his success and reputation without cashing in on his father's name, since he kept that aspect of his identity a secret for the first decade of his career. He was appreciated for his output, not his name. That's why it would not be an issue if he wrote a comic with his Dad. He's proven he can write and write well. Maybe Henry can write too, but I'd rather see evidence of that before he gets a sweetheart deal on a Spidey mini series due to being a son of privilege. He literally has no professional experience. I don't know about you, but inherited privilege based on who your parents happen to be makes me feel queasy when so many work so hard to get where they are.
    I agree completely, I will check it out, but I'm more excited by something like Eric Larson returning to at least do Spidey covers; I have the lowest expectations for this series and expect amateur nonsense at best. Marvel is blatantly cashing in on the name and hoping for the best. Let's just hope they have learned something from the Kevin Smith DD, and don't let them do any lasting changes to the well established cast and characters, please no "shocking" deaths.

Well this is far more exciting than yet another ‘Gerry Conway returns to Spider-Man!’ headline but I can understand why he’s upset. His star has gone out. JJ is a middling writer but he’s got a hell of a visual eye. Pichelli is awesome to boot so I’m really lookin forward to this project.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    I agree completely, I will check it out, but I'm more excited by something like Eric Larson returning to at least do Spidey covers; I have the lowest expectations for this series and expect amateur nonsense at best. Marvel is blatantly cashing in on the name and hoping for the best. Let's just hope they have learned something from the Kevin Smith DD, and don't let them do any lasting changes to the well established cast and characters, please no "shocking" deaths.
    I do not understand all of the hate. Abrams is not doing lasting damage to Spider-Man or his supporting cast. He will not be Dan Slott writting OMD and spending 10 years on the book. Besides that people seem to forget a few arcs by established writters that really did lasting damage to a character ( Sins Past to name one). If in the end the story sucks, then the readers and Marvel can say it is an alternative universe..... NOT Canon..If however, the story is excellent and Spidy gets a great new enemy then all the better. We should look forward to the story it is a no lose situation.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-21-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Slott didn't write OMD.

Mighty Member

Personally, I don't like the blatant nepotism, but frankly if the first issue is good I have no problem with this. And JJ Abrams is a very competent writer, he can be surprising.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

BANNED

Apparently some actual comics creators aren't happy about this either.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06...te-spider-man/