Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    But the only reason this is being made is just that, to bring in a big name director from movies to attract attention and potentially attract a new set of customers into the world of comics. If it doesn’t work, no prob it’s a side project...it doesn’t take anyone’s job or work away. If it works, it’s better for everyone in comics because they’ve grown the comic industry.
    The part about bringing a big name celebrity with a following isn't the issue - Marvel has been doing that for years the grating part is having the son of a celebrity be extended the same chance without any credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Layman's a major target of "Comicsgate". Marvel may not want the headache.
    Yeah, I can definitely see that being a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Layman's a major target of "Comicsgate". Marvel may not want the headache.
    There seem to be major Comicsgate target who get work regularly, so that's probably not it.

There may be some other factors. Layman hasn't gotten much of a reputation outside of Chew. A guy who complains about Marvel policies on Twitter might not be easy to work with. There's no indication that his name sells.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There seem to be major Comicsgate target who get work regularly, so that's probably not it.

There may be some other factors. Layman hasn't gotten much of a reputation outside of Chew. A guy who complains about Marvel policies on Twitter might not be easy to work with. There's no indication that his name sells.
    But didn't he have an extensive run on New 52 "Detective Comics"?

EDIT: And looking at his biography, he also did a lot of Marvel work, including "Gambit" and "Cyclops", and the "Identity Wars" crossover, so I'm kind of surprised at his comments. Unless he means that he can't pitch them a story.
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 06-22-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Has it had any discernible acclaim?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

It was like 18 issues where he was one in a revolving door of writers on that book that included Tony Daniel and Brian Buccellato. Layman is much more well known for his editorial work at Wildstorm than any scripting jobs he has done since.

Has it had any discernible acclaim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    It was like 18 issues where he was one in a revolving door of writers on that book that included Tony Daniel and Brian Buccellato. Layman is much more well known for his editorial work at Wildstorm than any scripting jobs he has done since.
    That's the thing: he's had work from Marvel and DC, a successful run with "Chew" at Image, and, like Bruce Wayne said, editorial work at Windstorm. So his comments on this don't make sense.

That's the thing: he's had work from Marvel and DC, a successful run with "Chew" at Image, and, like Bruce Wayne said, editorial work at Windstorm. So his comments on this don't make sense.
    His argument is that he's not getting current work from Marvel.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

His argument is that he's not getting current work from Marvel.
    Hmm. What do you think about his statements?

Hmm. What do you think about his statements?
    He's probably in the wrong to complain about what appears to be a good business move by Marvel. Marvel doesn't owe him any work, and I can understand why they don't hire him.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I don't thinks it was a good business. If it was a good business, there wouldn't be so many people angry about that, many of them professionals in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    I don't thinks it was a good business. If it was a good business, there wouldn't be so many people angry about that, many of them professionals in the field.
    This is a good business move. Maybe not a good public relations business move as far as endearing Marvel Comics to the public, but it is a good business move.

A well-known and successful Hollywood director along with his son and a successful and proven comic book artist are teaming up for a five issue miniseries for one of their biggest characters. Regardless of whether or not it was a stunt pick (even though Nick Lowe was trying to get this to happen for ten years), this will drum up interest and, possibly, sales. That's what we know. By that logic, it's a good business move.

EDIT: As for the professionals who are upset about it, we have to remember that this is hardly the first time they haven't gotten work. And some of the more prominent ones, like Jenkins, Conway, Layman, have already worked at Marvel before. Whether they do in the future depends on their strengths as a writer. I will concede that I don't particularly favor the idea of JJ bringing Henry along, but again: I'll judge the work itself. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 06-22-2019 at 05:07 PM.

I believe the main problem here is the nepotism. This guys worked hard to get where they are now, and Henry got that on a silver platter because he's his father son. Even Stan Lee had to work hard on Marvel, same goes for Romita Jr.

This is a very unfair situation for everyone who work with comics, because no matter how hard they work, people like Henry will have everything without doing anything to deserve it.

I believe the main problem here is the nepotism. This guys worked hard to get where they are now, and Henry got that on a silver platter because he's his father son. Even Stan Lee had to work hard on Marvel, same goes for Romita Jr.

This is a very unfair situation for everyone who work with comics, because no matter how hard they work, people like Henry will have everything without doing anything to deserve it.
    So, one case of nepotism invalidates all of the hard work of other comic writers/artists of the past and future? That seems a bit dramatic.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

…people like Henry will have everything without doing anything to deserve it.
    Do we know for certain that Henry is undeserving? True, he has no works to his name that stand out in public, but maybe he's shown his talents to Marvel management in private. Of course, being the son of JJ Abrams gave him an advantage.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES