Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

A bunch of spaghetti on the wall.

There is NO publishing plan, no cohesion of any sort.

Very few books worth 4 bucks, and those that are will get a 3rd rate artist in a few months.

CB needs to go, as well as His bosses.

WOW! What a month!

My usual pulls:
    Daredevil 11
    Guardians of The Galaxy 9
    Old Man Quill 9
    Silver Surfer Black 4
    Amazing Spider-Man 29- 30
    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 12
    Venom 18
    Immortal Hulk 23-24
    Tony Stark Iron Man 16
    Absolute Carnage 3
    Absolute Carnage : Lethal Protectors 2

Sept stuff:
    Marvel Comic 1001
    Amazing Spider-Man Going Big
    Abrams Spider-Man
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post

One wonders what fans like this would say about the halycon days of the '70s, when Marvel delved into everything from superheroes to kung fu to blaxploitation to supernatural fare to b&w monster mags and humor mags to Howard the Duck. Would that also be "a bunch of spaghetti on the wall" with "no publishing plan"?

One wonder what these fan's definition of "cohesion" even is.

A look at Marvel's September solicitations shows the various corners of the MU all doing their thing - the X-books, the Spider-line, the Avengers, Star Wars, etc. And the one event going on, Absolute Carnage, having a reasonable amount of tie-ins.

I think some fans think that the Marvel line should consist of no more than ten books, to satisfy their need for "cohesion."

He seems to be doing quite well. I bet his bosses are happy.

Very few books worth 4 bucks, and those that are will get a 3rd rate artist in a few months.

This is just silly. Since CB has come on, it is the most Marvel I have ever read! What I personally like about this, is there is a title for just about every one. Unlike DC right now that is hardly publishing anything, especially if you are not a Batman fan.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wish there was LESS cohesion.

I'd rather them just focus on crafting good books and less on events and bigger picture stuff.

The first point I agree with. But doesn't every company in every industry throw spaghetti against a wall and see what sticks?

There certainly is a plan and cohesion. But the plan is unknown to us. But we will speculate and even have educated and often not too incorrect guesses.

Are the books worth four bucks? Some, certainly. But the books need to only be worth it to those who buy them. The product is 20 pages of story, a cover, a recap page and a text/letters page or two. Some in-house ads may increase the appeal to some. It's the standard rate although other companies held out longer in going there.

And as to who needs to go, we have no idea as to the details of what Marvel looks for from CB. Sure, there's a balnket job description, but is he supposed to expand other media like trades and digital first? Is he tasked to recruit new fans from women and younger kids? Is a task getting press and publicity for certain stories in order to keep the Marvel name on people lips?

There are only a few Marvels I buy every month. It's been like that for about fifty years although there have been period where there has been more purchasing, but hey, do we really need to buy everything Marvel puts out? And I realize they'd be cool with that.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe it's just because most of my favorite characters aren't being used for months, but my problem with the Cebulski era as it's developing is that it seems to put a lot of emphasis on a select few properties (Fantastic Four, X-Men, Spider-Man) and a select few characters, which is how we get a lot of characters appearing in multiple books while others aren't appearing at all, and how we get a lot of books with rather similar concepts, like the "Avengers team that does things the Avengers wouldn't do" books.

The flaw of the Alonso era, apart from the stuff that was out of his hands like being forced to cancel FF, was that it was not very good at bread-and-butter franchise superhero comics. This era is probably better at that but the Alonso era had more to offer in terms of keeping characters in play and offering a variety of styles. Cebulski is more like the early '90s when it seemed like a few franchises were crowding out everything else.

I've never understood why some people have a problem with publishers or other types of companies throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. How are we ever going to get new things without them trying new, sometimes strange, things and seeing how fans react? We've gotten some great things from this approach over the years, including recently, like with Vision playing house, or Kamala Khan, even if other ideas never caught on, but, i mean that's the idea. Not every idea will succeed, but the ones that do get added to the bigger Marvel picture and end up enriching it. So why is that a bad thing? It's not as if they are doing that instead of publishing their core books, they are doing it in addition to their usual fare, Iron Man, and Thor, and Hulk, and the Avengers, and X-Men are still still there. So no one is losing out.

Mighty Member

Are they canceling Doctor Strange.I hope not i really like this book

CB-era seems intent on ignoring properties and characters that were just recently important, and Alonso was better at getting new and creative books and styles into the line. Alonso was also better at making it clear what book was leading the entire MU compared to now where everything's on its own branch. And making the line more diverse. And promoting new things.

But Alonso let the X-Men go to **** and CB's saving them. So all is balanced.

now launch inhumans and new avengers goddamn it
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 06-21-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    CB-era seems intent on ignoring properties and characters that were just recently important, and Alonso was better at getting new and creative books and styles into the line. Alonso was also better at making it clear what book was leading the entire MU compared to now where everything's on its own branch. And making the line more diverse. And promoting new things.

How dare you bring reasonable analysis and unemotional commentary into a comic book forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Maybe it's just because most of my favorite characters aren't being used for months, but my problem with the Cebulski era as it's developing is that it seems to put a lot of emphasis on a select few properties (Fantastic Four, X-Men, Spider-Man) and a select few characters, which is how we get a lot of characters appearing in multiple books while others aren't appearing at all, and how we get a lot of books with rather similar concepts, like the "Avengers team that does things the Avengers wouldn't do" books.

The flaw of the Alonso era, apart from the stuff that was out of his hands like being forced to cancel FF, was that it was not very good at bread-and-butter franchise superhero comics. This era is probably better at that but the Alonso era had more to offer in terms of keeping characters in play and offering a variety of styles. Cebulski is more like the early '90s when it seemed like a few franchises were crowding out everything else.
    Considering how those properties were handled during the Alonso era, I think that's a major improvement.

Even getting into Spider-Man, I'd say on a technical level it's much stronger then it was during Alonso's era.

I imagine he had to have been more on-point then Brevoort was back in the "Invincible Iron Man is the flagship book" days.

Maybe Iron Man was the flagship book of ANAD for two seconds because of CW2 build-up, but to hell with that, it was Spencer's stuff. Everything orbited around that.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Maybe Iron Man was the flagship book of ANAD for two seconds because of CW2 build-up, but to hell with that, it was Spencer's stuff. Everything orbited around that.
    The Cap books were definitely more flagship compared to anything Bendis was doing.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I can't believe how many good titles they are putting out with each solicit over the past few months.

I will definitely be renewing my unlimited subscription next year to get all the content I can't keep up with now.
    Baby Thanos