Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel of Time

Just realized in looking her up that Pike is 5'9" whereas Moraine in the books was described as being very short. Not a huge deal if she does well but its the only thing I really see where she can't physically match up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Your view is probably different because you didn't have to wait years between books as those of us who were reading them coming out did. Jordan wrote much more regularly than George Martin has ever dreamed of, early in the series he was doing a book a year, but later it was 2 -3 years between books by the end so when you've already waited several years between book 9 and 10 and then have book 10 be 90% about secondary characters reacting in panic to the big event at the end of book 9 it was frustrating. Especially since it then was 2.5 years before book 11. And then Jordan got ill and died so it became even more frustrating because we weren't sure if the series would ever be finished.
    Perhaps me coming in so close to the end had something to do with how I was able to enjoy book 10 to its fullest.

Honestly, before I came to this thread and read those posts, I'd even forgotten that there was consternation for book 10 by some. I did remember how surprised and almost taken aback it made me feel back then when I first learned about it, which is how it came "flooding back" to me when reading the posts.

I read an interview with Brandon Sanderson last week talking about the show. He is being consulted which is great because besides being a co-author on the series he was a fan first and foremost which is in part what landed him the job to finish. So he wants it done right as much as the rest of the fans.

He said there are some changes in what he's seen but he approves of them as necessary. He likened it to how the LoTR trilogy was adapted to the screen. It kept the important parts while making it more adaptable to the screen for flow purposes. Whereas the first Harry Potter movie at times seemed like a page for page adaptation and the flow didn't work well.

I also imagine there will have to be condensing and cutting of some of the plot. Even if its successful its not going to be around for 15 seasons to do 1 season per book. Thus they'll have to streamline it and cut things to make it move faster. I remember about 10 years or so ago there was a comic book adaptation of the WoT and several issues in they still hadn't even left the Two Rivers. At that pace the series was going to need hundreds of issues to do the whole book series. I don't know how many issues it finally did get but I don't recall seeing it for very long.
    Them needing to make adaptation adjuestments for length and flow on the screen makes some sense. It still leaves me with some worry. I just hope they won't rush the character progressions (Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Elayane, etc., becoming badasses too fast and by too wide a margin in levels of badassery), or in the least, it won't come off as rushed in practice.

And beyond that, the thought of losing precious material does make a part of me go "(TT__TT)". It'll probably always be that way.

One thing I'm betting that will have to be condensed or changed is a plotline with Moraine. If you've read the books you can easily guess but for those who haven't this might be spoilerish: spoilers:
    It might be hard to work out a schedule with Pike knowing she's going to die early in the series but then have to have her back several years later for the final battle. So I could see this as something where they seemingly kill her off as a cliffhanger one season only to have her brought back as the cliffhanger the following season. Easier for her to set her schedule when she knows an exact time she'll brought back
    end of spoilers
    One thing I could see them do, perhaps after a decent enough point in time has passed is...

spoilers:
    Use her time trapped to explore her backstory and adapt the New Spring novella as a side plot. I'd love for them to adapt that part of her, and Lan's and Siuane's, lives. It would justify the actress still being a regular or what have you in the show in-between capture and rescue.
    end of spoilers

Just an idea.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-30-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Just realized in looking her up that Pike is 5'9" whereas Moraine in the books was described as being very short. Not a huge deal if she does well but its the only thing I really see where she can't physically match up.
    I foresee a lot of discrepancies of this kind. The Wheel of Time has a lot of tall people, especially among the heroic cast, but acting culture tends to attract and favor the short and shorter.

That Moiraine, a canonically short character, is cast as an above-average tall woman is a surprising inverse.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They just announced the main cast members for the show.

Madeleine Madden - Egwene al'Vere
    Josha Stradowski - Rand al'Thor
    Marcus Rutherford - Perin Aybara
    Zoe Robins - Nynaeve al'Meara
    Barney Harris - Matrim Cauthon

Looks pretty good to me. The one that I need to see in action in the guy playing Perin. Perin is supposed to bet his big bruiser blacksmith, and this guy looks a little small to be filling that role, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 08-15-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

Looks pretty good to me. The one that I need to see in action in the guy playing Perin. Perin is supposed to bet his big bruiser blacksmith, and this guy looks a little small to be filling that role, but I could be wrong.
    Leaving aside the race swapping they did with three of the characters, I've got mixed feelings just based on looks. I've never heard of any of them so this is no comment on their skill:

Rand: redden up his hair a bit and he fits the part

Mat: this actor looks perfect. He even looks mischievous which is exactly what you want from Mat.

Nynaeve - the braid is what matters and that would probably be done with a wig regardless of who plays her so shes fine.

The other two though are utterly wrong:

Egwene - she's fat in the books. That word is never used instead its things like plump and extra meat on her bones etc. So casting a typical Hollywood waif doesn't fit her unless the actress is planning on gaining a lot of weight. I wouldn't want Rebel Wilson in the role but they need an actress built like her.

Perrin - he's a blacksmith and always described as being insanely muscled and strong. They need someone built like Jason Momoa or Mike Colter. In other words not this guy.

As I said earlier they picked a tall woman to play Moraine when in the books she is probably a woman who is about 5 feet tall but I don't see that as big a deal as the changes with Egwene and Perrin because those characteristics with them are far more important to their characters than Moraine's height is.

BTW, I googled the ones playing Egwene and Perrin just to be sure of their body types since headshots don't always tell the whole picture.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 08-15-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Give him some time in the gym. Evans was fit, but he wasn't a supersoldier before CA:TFA.

Another of the main characters has been cast. Daniel Henney will be playing Lan Mandragoran.

Astonishing Member

Another of the main characters has been cast. Daniel Henney will be playing Lan Mandragoran.

Going from the portrait bust alone, he definitely has that intensity I'd expect from Lan most of the time. Not sure if he has the height and build, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Going from the portrait bust alone, he definitely has that intensity I'd expect from Lan most of the time. Not sure if he has the height and build, though.
    He doesn’t look as tough or rugged as I would expect for Lan.

Lan is supposed to be middle aged and weathered, not someone who looks like they stepped out of a GQ magazine. Someone like Danny Trejo if he was 25 years younger. Maybe makeup and facial hair will help but right now I'm throwing this guy in the same category as the ones playing Egwene and Perrin - looks wrong for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    He's 6'2 and built.

The tough and rugged part can be done with makeup and facial hair.

Looks like they rounded out the cast with 4 more actors.

Alvaro Morte - Logain Ablar
    Hammed Animashaun - Loial
    Alexandre Willaime -Thom Merrilin
    Johann Myers - Padan Fain

Looks like they rounded out the cast with 4 more actors.

Alvaro Morte - Logain Ablar
    Hammed Animashaun - Loial
    Alexandre Willaime -Thom Merrilin
    Johann Myers - Padan Fain
    Alexandre will need to start growing that stache out. Since that's one of Thom's defining features. Hammed, after finding some pictures of him (no official height that I could find) is certainly quite tall. Still going to need some effects to get him to Ogier height though.

Johann, well, he actually kind of looks like how I would imagine Padan Fain to be.

BANNED

Default The Wheel of Time (Prime TV series)

Forgive me if another thread has been started, but couldn't find one and with the debut of the series coming soon I was hoping to start a discussion among those have read and enjoyed (hopefully) the series and/or those anticipating the TV series. I've read (and re-read) the book series and I'm feeling a bit like I did when the Game of Thrones show was imminent. Hopeful, but skeptical. Last season aside I think they did about as good a job as could be expected with casting, costuming, adherence to lore (not 100%, but enough to show they cared and where they did differ for understandable reasons), etc. If we get a similar treatment for WoT I'll be pretty happy.

How about the rest of you? What are you looking forward to? What do you want them to get "right"? What concerns do you have as fans of the books?

BANNED

Ach, my bad. Guess good for the bump?