Mighty Member

Default Scenes in the theatrical version NOT on the DVD?

Con air had some transphobic scenes cut out...

Rob Zombies Halloween had Bill Moseley as a guard arranging a transfer. In the uncut DVD it instead has a sexual assault on a female inmate. (I prefer the scene with Moseley)

Saw V (or was it 6?) has a bloody trail outside the bathroom hinting at a Dr Gordon return. In the DVD it was removed..

Other examples?

Austin Powers is often missing the “here’s to Smitty” henchmen scenes and Christian Slater getting hypnotised - basically the best scenes.

Woman in black theatre version had extra lines of the kid that explains why the woman screams but it's cut out on dvd. It's a huge plot point and should not have been cut!

Batman 89 is said to have had a short scene when vickie is distracting joker by kissing on his shirt so batman can sneak up at the end an extra scene when she spits out pocket lint. A funny gag cut from the film.

Harry potter 2 the part where harry was in the wrong shop at the start had the extra scene where the bully's dad walks in with a box "that item is not for sale". This was in the theatre cut from what is said but cut from all versions after as they felt it's too easy to figure out the twist later. It is in the deleted scenes on dvd. Ironic as it WAS in the movies first showing.

I don't think the SW prequels have ever had a DVD that's the same as the theatrical version. At least with the OT there were home video releases before the special editions, but I'm not sure the Prequels ever had that at all. Maybe the TPM VHS but I'm not sure.

The TPM DVD added or altered scenes from the theatrical release. For example it added a lot of stuff to the Pod race, the Coruscant scene has Qui-Gon gesturing Anakin to go along with the Queen and Jar-Jar to Palpatine's office, with a short air taxi ride; and there's a change to TPM's senate that makes it more clear that Orn Free Ta is a Twi'lek by having him with Twi'lek senators while in the original edit it was two humans for some reason.

CG Yoda wasn't put in the film until the 2011 blu-rays though.

AOTC actually adds a few bits, Anakin's confession, some of Padme's dialogue and a few shots have been altered. Not as big.

ROTS mainly just changes an editing wipe.

A full list, along with the OT stuff, is included here.https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lis...rs_re-releases
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

For a long time the theatrical cut of the first Star Trek movie was not available on DVD, this was fixed with the 2009 blu-ray (Which I think also had a standard definition release). I think the current 4K releases allow the choice of the original cut, the new director's cut and the "Special Longer version" which kind of sloppily edits some of Kirk's part of the cut memory wall sequence with a different spacesuit into the film.

Mighty Member

Thanks for the replies. Butterfly effect DVD had the different darker ending...

Well in the Shining there was a scene at the end with Wendy and Danny in the Hospital it was only shown at the early viewings of the film in LA and NYC and was cut by Kubrick. The footage was destroyed, and some thought it was maybe an Urban Legend but set photos have survived and the nurse is in the credits.

Also, in the Dawn of the Dead 1978 most of the Dock scene was cut and the European Cut was completely different than the US version including with some different music. The European cut was done by film Producer and fellow horror Director Dario Argento who felt he understood the European market better than Romero that version was released as "Zombi Dawn of the Dead" which led the Zombi film series.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 10-26-2023 at 04:32 PM.

Sorry if this a bit OT but I think a lot of network releases of movies often added scenes to pad out the runtime, also in part because they censored other content.

I think Gremlins added some extra scenes explaining what happened to Judge Reinhold's character but ditched some of the more graphic Gremlin deaths except the melting of Stripe.

Goonies added an extra scene with Chunk and Sloth doing another "Hey You guys!" while in the caves but cut out the scenes where the Goonies mess up the pipes at the country club.

I think the Superman films also added a lot of cut material that haven't made it into any official edits of the films at all (probably because of some actor's rights issues with Hackman, Brando etc?)

Star Trek II has some added scenes where Spock explains Saavik's half-Romulan status, an alternate cut of the turbolift scene and Kirk introducing David and Saavik properly (Hinting at a possible romance, which some of the novel authors went with). The only way these scenes seem to be available is from that, since they don't appear to be on any home video release.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park adds two deleted scenes in the beginning which flesh out the motivations of the film's villains a bit better. This version still plays fairly reguarly on TV.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-26-2023 at 06:54 PM.