Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel of Time

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    See, that just kills me. I shouldn't have to read four books just to get to the good part.
    The good parts are there earlier than that - 2 and 3 are both quite good, but 4 and 5 are where it truly comes into its own. I enjoyed the first book personally, but I can understand the feeling that it is too slow - I couldn't get through Tolkien until I was in my 20s, as a teenager it just seemed to drag on. I probably would thought the same about Jordan then.
    Dark does not mean deep.

It's been a while since I read the novels, I think I gave up on them at around 5 or 6; too slow/just wasn't getting to the point fast enough for me. I hope the show is good, looks like it has that potential.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The good parts are there earlier than that - 2 and 3 are both quite good, but 4 and 5 are where it truly comes into its own. I enjoyed the first book personally, but I can understand the feeling that it is too slow - I couldn't get through Tolkien until I was in my 20s, as a teenager it just seemed to drag on. I probably would thought the same about Jordan then.
    I never felt Tolkien was too slow, and pacing wasn't really a huge issue...it was just more that Wheel of Time felt kind of generic. The world seemed interesting, but to the point where the myth of it all was more developed than the characters which is what made it a slog because with out that connection the rest doesn't really matter.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Fingers crossed that this is good. The teaser looked good, which is all we have to go on just yet. The books did slow down midway in a big way, but the first five are still some of the most fun I've ever had reading fantasy.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Based on the last few posts, it feels like I was the only one who actually liked the series, and rather unconditionally so, at that. ;(

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Based on the last few posts, it feels like I was the only one who actually liked the series, and rather unconditionally so, at that. ;(
    I really enjoyed it myself, but I know more than one person who found the first book too slow to finish. Even as someone who finished the series, I don't reread book one as often as later entries.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I really enjoyed it myself, but I know more than one person who found the first book too slow to finish. Even as someone who finished the series, I don't reread book one as often as later entries.
    I reread the series a few times myself, usually getting ready for the next book to drop at the time. But I've also come across several people that could only get so far before dropping the series altogether. And, before it went belly-up, I was also on theoryland forums for a good while. Its where we first kept track the announcement of this series, as well as the "episode" Red Eagle put out on FX in the middle of the night, just so they could keep the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I reread the series a few times myself, usually getting ready for the next book to drop at the time. But I've also come across several people that could only get so far before dropping the series altogether. And, before it went belly-up, I was also on theoryland forums for a good while. Its where we first kept track the announcement of this series, as well as the "episode" Red Eagle put out on FX in the middle of the night, just so they could keep the rights.
    Most people I know who dropped it do so somewhere during what's called "The Slog".
    Dark does not mean deep.

Most people I know who dropped it do so somewhere during what's called "The Slog".
    Some don't even get that far, but that is the most common place people have dropped out. Not that I blame them, because even on rereads, those are not exactly the most fun to read.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

This is why a TV adaptation is a good thing. If they edit out the sloggy parts, they might even make it all the way through the story.

Some authors deliberately pad out their books so they have more volumes to sell. And I think some publishers encourage that. I'm convinced that the last three books of Terry Goodkind's (original) Sword of Truth series started out life as one book, and then got padded into three to increase sales. Same thing Hollywood does (or did) with movies, most egregiously with The Hobbit.

The first two episodes premiered in London earlier today, although we will have to wait a little bit before the people who saw it can say much.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Missed this, but I'm in the liking the series and having reread it twice (so far). My only complaints are every Perrin chapter involving Faile, and every chapter starring Faile by herself.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Missed this, but I'm in the liking the series and having reread it twice (so far). My only complaints are every Perrin chapter involving Faile, and every chapter starring Faile by herself.
    There are characters and romantic interests worse than Faile, notably Gawyn, that guy blessed with the power to discern the single stupidest choice in any situation, and then take it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Agree to disagree. Not a Gawyn fan, his stupid decisions were at least usually part of an interesting story I felt moved the story along. Faile's whole deal seemed more like a distraction and a hindrance to Perrin's arc (eventually overtaking it to become about her).

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Agree to disagree. Not a Gawyn fan, his stupid decisions were at least usually part of an interesting story I felt moved the story along. Faile's whole deal seemed more like a distraction and a hindrance to Perrin's arc (eventually overtaking it to become about her).
    I only.got that feeling when she got captured. That was perhaps the most tedious aspect of The Slog out of them all. But then, Savanna is also my least favorite villain in the series. With a gender flip and a slightly different time, she would have been trying to tie someone to the railroad tracks just before noon.
    Dark does not mean deep.