Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #1

Didn’t see a thread for this so I thought I’d make one. I can’t wait to pick up the issue after work.

Mighty Member

It's great. To quote Brian Michael Bendis: "It's Hawkeye good."
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Really looking forward to this. Good to have Fraction back on a book.

(Honestly, where did Fraction go? Even his Image stuff seems to all be stalled out right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Really looking forward to this. Good to have Fraction back on a book.

(Honestly, where did Fraction go? Even his Image stuff seems to all be stalled out right now.)
    Hollywood, where writers go to make the good money. It’s why so many Image series are basically TV pitches.

Yeah, I know he’s being writing tv stuff, and I know Chip is writing a bunch of a marvel books.

Anyway, picked this up today, and I liked it, but due to all the preview pages I’d already read about 2/3 of the book!

Oh well, definitely excited to see where they go with this. Definitely feels like this could end up being a pretty special book.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This book is amazing. Everyone go out and buy it. Now.

I'd say more but it would just beohewlkjnewkljeniewhkuwehedkhekjewn for like 6 pages.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

This was freaking great. The fact that Jimmy is the only part of the Daily Planet that makes money because people love seeing him do weird **** is hilarious but also makes sense in a weird way. Who doesn’t want to see someone turn into a turtle and jump out of a spaceship? I was a little disappointed that Fraction chose to take him to Gotham but the reasoning for why he’s there satisfied me. And holy crap “Coast City gets blown up” made me laugh my ass off.

Also I can just say that Superman got a really good showing here? Fraction’s Superman is no idiot. Was kind of surprised to see Leone show up here, guess that confirms she’s the new owner of the Daily Planet? I’m cool with it.

Astonishing Member

Thought this was great fun. Cool art. Shades of Morrison's All-Star Jimmy, too.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I've been disconnected from Fraction since Uncanny X-Men, so I was extremely pessimistic at the earliest teases. But this delivered to what feels like a perfectly precise degree. I loved Joachim and the interactions with Perry. And as it should be, Superman was also perfectly used as a supporting cast member, for a reversal. I feel sad thinking back to how Rebirth threw that little bone and I settled, not thinking we could be here.

So I have to agree with Superlad. These books are all hitting so well and differently. This year we have the Superman flagship books, the three mini series, Supergirl, Lois, Jimmy, Batman Superman, the three team books (JL, YJ, and Legion), the upcoming Lois Elseworlds, and two event leads (Superman in DCeased, Lois in Leviathan). This looks like the best time since I started reading.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Is Dex-Starr featured in this book?

Hmmm, I'm much more lukewarm on this than the rest of you. A few things stuck in my craw. A few "WTF" moments (not in a good way). I find Fraction sometimes comes across as trying to be cool to the point of it getting in the way of the story a bit. This book was not an egregious example of this.

This book will have a hard time hooking me in simply because I'm not especially fond of the Jimmy Olsen archetype. I don't know if there's a trope-y name for "the guy who keeps messing up but somehow fumbles his way through and accidentally wins the day". I've mostly experienced these characters as annoying. I think Jack Sparrow is one of the rare exceptions where I actually liked the guy. Generally I prefer stories about characters with clear motivations, who have their act together and overcome great odds despite their flaws.

But I'll probably pick up the next issue simply because I've not read much Jimmy Olsen. I'm inclined to give it chance with the operating assumption that I don't get it because I'm unfamiliar with the character.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

So, this was everything I hoped for! Honestly, it exceeded my expectations- it was that good. Granted I am the exact target audience for this kinda joint, and man oh man does it land perfectly on every level.

I'll go more in depth once I give it a second read.

Really enjoyed it. So many good bits in it, and the overall tone was pitch perfect. Between this and the Lois Lane book, the Superman supporting cast is finally getting the love it deserves.

I really enjoyed it.

Yeah fraction is fractioning here, as ulysses says, but it works here.

And the art and coloring just pops so cool.

Why couldn’t superman stop turtlejimmy?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really, really loved this issue.

Did the idea of Olsen coming from money come from Morrison or has that been around earlier than him? Who was debating Lex on TV?