Astonishing Member

Default Val Zod Appreciation Thread 2019

I didn't realize the previous thread is closed. But I just ran across a article from CBR regarding Val Zod:

" Starman has mostly been in the background after having his origin retconned in Justice League #8. However, he is ready to finally solve the mystery of how the Totality gave him his extraordinary powers. This journey will take Starman through Hypertime and the Multiverse itself, as Will Payton builds an army with heroes like Val-Zod, the Earth-2 Superman, Captain Carrot, Kamandi, Mary Marvel, Deadman and many more.

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-year-of-the-villain-prelude-doom-war/"

As I recall, Bendis stated he was planning on using Val Zod. I wonder if this arc is going to be his eventual transition into being under Bendis pen.

Also, has he appeared yet in the JLA series? Or was it in the Year of the villain book?

I would love to see Val-Zod again.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

I found them, it looks like Earth 2 Society made an appearance in Justice League 26th. You see him in the upper right hand corner. Here's hoping him and earth 2 society makes a decent showing next issue.

Astonishing Member

Yes! Well unfortunately the comic book websites haven't reported it for some reason, but I was at San Diego Comic Con during the DC Universe Panel with Dan Didio and the gang. When Dan Didio started asking about what people wanted to see, I shouted Val Zod out. Dan Didio was able to confirm that Val Zod will be showing up in a major way in 2020!
    So at least now we have a confirmed time frame on when Val Zod is going to show (he did make an appearance in JLA but it was mostly just a shot along with the rest of his team and did not have any actual words) I'm curious to see how this ties in. We know Bendis wants to use Val Zod, and now we know it's coming 2020, so what is bendis forming where we can see this character entering the fray.

In the comics... Or someplace else?

If Val-Zod appears as one of the Supermen of the Multiverse, during the Arrowverse's Crisis crossover, Internet is going to be ballistic. I mean, that would be a perfect place to set him.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

That'd be kinda fun! I like Val, it'd be nice to see him again.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    That'd be kinda fun! I like Val, it'd be nice to see him again.
    As do I and Indeed it would be.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    In the comics... Or someplace else?

If Val-Zod appears as one of the Supermen of the Multiverse, during the Arrowverse's Crisis crossover, Internet is going to be ballistic. I mean, that would be a perfect place to set him.
    I was referring to the comics, since I'm trying to put the pieces together.

- Dan Didio confirmed that Val Zod will have a resurgence in 2020

- Bendis confirmed that he will be using Val Zod.

So those two pieces of information provides the idea that bendis will be doing something with val zod during 2020, but the key question is what exactly. Has there been any news regarding what bendis may be working on in 2020? Originally I thought Naomi's second mini series but I don't believe Val Zod isn't young enough for the young justice line.

In regards to the arrowvese crossover, I was hoping for that as well, but I'm curious as to how they would play him out. Since he's technically part of the Earth 2 universe, which is where Barry Flash's take place I believe, I always wondered if they would have him introduced there or would they have him appear from a different Earth. Especially since Supergirl is from a different earth.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    - Dan Didio confirmed that Val Zod will have a resurgence in 2020

- Bendis confirmed that he will be using Val Zod....
    Both comments are great news. Val is, by far, my favorite not or other Superman. I eagerly and impatiently await his potential return.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Interesting...Check this article:
    These days, superhero adaptations are shrouded in mystery -- so much so that even actors don't know which role they're auditioning for until they get the part. This was the case for LaMonica Garrett, who made his grand Arrowverse debut as the Monitor in last fall's "Elseworlds" crossover. In fact, he believed he was auditioning for Val-Zod right up until he landed the role
    We can speculate than Val-Zod is being considered to be part of the Arrowverse in some moment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Interesting...Check this article:

We can speculate than Val-Zod is being considered to be part of the Arrowverse in some moment.

I noticed that as well. My guess is that they're trying to figure out where/how to insert the character. But I'll be honest, infinite crisis would have been an perfect opportunity to at least first bring out the character.