Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What Titles Should Marvel Add to Their Epic Collection Line?

I've been enjoying the Epic Collection line at Marvel. A series that collects an entire run including crossovers, mini series, graphic novels, and appearances in anthology titles is just what I want. The line started out with half a dozen titles, but has expanded since then. What titles would you like to see added? Keep in mind that the line has included shorter series (Iron Fist) and characters that have had multiple series over the years (Punisher, Black Panther).

I would love to see some lines collect past the original series and include follow up series like:
    Defenders - Collect the Dr. Strange and Solo Avengers appearances after the original series ended, then collect the 90s revival series by Busiek.
    Moon Knight - Collect the Marc Spector: Moon Knight series that started in the late 80s

And I would love to see the following series added to the line:
    Marvel Team Up
    Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man
    Web of Spider-Man
    Ghost Rider (original and 90 series)
    Power Pack
    Tomb Of Dracula
    Conan the Barbarian/King Conan (original Marvel series)
    She Hulk (all series)
    Solo Avengers/Avengers Spotlight
    Marvel Comics Presents
    Marvel Fanfare
    Captain Marvel
    Sub Mariner
    Alpha Flight

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Rincewind; 03-12-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

While I would love to see Alpha Flight Epic Collections (since we're unlikely to get another omnibus), I would much rather Marvel focus on completing the original line up of Epics.

The line started with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers - they were cranking them out pretty regularly for the first couple of years, but it seems these 6 have seen fewer releases since Marvel added about a dozen others titles. Maybe I'm seeing a correlation where there is none, but it seems slots on the publishing schedule that could be used to complete these series are being given to other ones.

I do see the appeal of some of the shorter series that will be completed in 4-5 volumes; that not as big a commitment as the 20+ volumes some series are asking. Sensational She-Hulk would have been a perfect example of a 4 volume Epic line; but they already reprinted what would have been the first and final volumes as She-Hulk by Byrne, orphaning the middle third of the series.

And then there's the oddballs like Dr. Strange: Sorcerer Supreme. They've published what would be the final book ("Afterlife") as well as the first 2 (3?) but I can't figure out how the mapping is going to work. By my rough map it doesn't quite fit...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Definitely more Defenders issues.

Power pack
    Marvel limited series collection (those classic 4 and 6 issue limited series)
    further adventures of indiana jones (why has this not been reprinted?)
    New warriors
    Some of their kids comics like the 50s patsy walker stories, homer the happy ghost and planet terry (take a risk marvel!)
    Death's head

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Power pack
    Marvel limited series collection (those classic 4 and 6 issue limited series)
    further adventures of indiana jones (why has this not been reprinted?)
    New warriors
    Some of their kids comics like the 50s patsy walker stories, homer the happy ghost and planet terry (take a risk marvel!)
    Death's head
    Dark Horse collected the Indiana Jones series a while ago. They’re out of print now and kind of pricey. I agree that Indy should be added. Same with New Warriors.

Most of the mini series from the 80s have been collected, but I could see a Jack Of Hearts collection of his early appearances through his mini series. That would make a nice one and done collection.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Since they collected the Warren Ellis issues on the second half, I think they should collect the John Francis Moore issues of Doom 2099 (1-23) so then the whole run will be in TPBs.

So far, I can think of only three: the complete Rom: Spaceknight, Bill Everett's Sub-Mariner completed & the complete Killraven saga (or "War of the Worlds" saga, whichever title is appropriate).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-13-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added another title.

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

BANNED

I would like to see the stories that unfolded in the Spider titles just before the start of the Infamous Clone Saga.
    Shrieking, Pursuit, the Grim Hunter.
    Or DeMatteis's awesome Harry Osborn Saga. The Child Within and other stories from that period of Spec.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    While I would love to see Alpha Flight Epic Collections (since we're unlikely to get another omnibus), I would much rather Marvel focus on completing the original line up of Epics.

The line started with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers - they were cranking them out pretty regularly for the first couple of years, but it seems these 6 have seen fewer releases since Marvel added about a dozen others titles. Maybe I'm seeing a correlation where there is none, but it seems slots on the publishing schedule that could be used to complete these series are being given to other ones.

I do see the appeal of some of the shorter series that will be completed in 4-5 volumes; that not as big a commitment as the 20+ volumes some series are asking. Sensational She-Hulk would have been a perfect example of a 4 volume Epic line; but they already reprinted what would have been the first and final volumes as She-Hulk by Byrne, orphaning the middle third of the series.

And then there's the oddballs like Dr. Strange: Sorcerer Supreme. They've published what would be the final book ("Afterlife") as well as the first 2 (3?) but I can't figure out how the mapping is going to work. By my rough map it doesn't quite fit...
    I get your frustration, but I have no problem adding more obscure titles to the line. There is so much uncollected material out there, and I'm glad Marvel is making an effort cover these areas. I get frustrated with DC for ignoring or cancelling older material in favor of focusing on a handful of characters.

Much of the runs for the original 6 titles have been collected in other formats. So I don't need the entire title collected before looking at other material. I'm much more excited for the upcoming Daredevil Epic that collects the Keses/Nord run than I am for upcoming Spider-Man Assassin Nation epic where most of the material is already in the Michelinie/McFarlane Omnibus.

As far as mapping, I think the inclusion of guest appearances/GNs/other lets them adjust the mapping. The next Iron Man epic contains appearances from Marvel Fanfare and a graphic novel that would be spread out over multiple volumes if they were collected in chronological order.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

Good points.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the next few releases as well (Daredevil, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man specifically).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Sub-Mariner please.

So far, I can think of only three: the complete Rom: Spaceknight, Bill Everett's Sub-Mariner completed & the complete Killraven saga (or "War of the Worlds" saga, whichever title is appropriate).
    Idw owns the rom rights plus the micronouts rights however with marvel books getting made by idw i'm shocked they have not done a crossover trade of these books.

I would love a full color Godzilla trade and a shogun warriors trade (fantastic four had a big role in it) and a human fly trade also. Maybe a trade reprinting lesser know marvel heroes like captain universe, woodgod, dragon lord, tigra and others in their short stories and marvel spotlight like books.

And of course a ultraforce, prime, mantra and the strangers epic collections also! Come on marvel!

I would like to see Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man and Web of Spider-Man.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Death's head
    Yes, definitely.

In fact, their entire 90s run of Marvel UK books have yet to be collected (except for the Frontier stuff), so I would vote for these.
    Last edited by Chris Wing; 06-12-2019 at 04:46 AM.