Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    It would help if he had a range of emotions and dialogue. 100% of his dialogue since the wedding issue has been this:

A villain appears. "I used to be a god and now I have limited power which is gone forever after I use it!"
    Being in immediate danger. "I used to be a god and now I have limited power which is gone forever after I use it!"
    Being punished. "I used to be a god and now I have limited power which is gone forever after I use it!"
    Everything in this issue. "I used to be a god and now I have limited power which is gone forever after I use it!"
    Hypothetically stubbing his toe. "I used to be a god and now I have limited power which is gone forever after I use it!"
    In Franklin's defense, that would be a funny line to use while he's spending wayyy too much time in the shower like some teenage boys. (and yes, I went there.)

Cloud, Squall, Lightning, and Hope Estheim have more emotional and dialogue ranges than him.
    Or Groot.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The art is nice, but so inconsistent.

Why does one book change artists so frequently? Why can't it stick to one?
    I don't know. We can look at the artists themselves and assume they lose excitement after starting or that the book is hell to work on. I don't think any part of the art is getting noticable online negativity except as regards the rotating roster of artists. But, we're in an online newsgroup, idle speculation is what we do, isn't it?

Mighty Member

The art is nice, but so inconsistent.

Why does one book change artists so frequently? Why can't it stick to one?
    I blame behind the scenes. It could just be problems with scheduling or sheer workload on the book. High quality art is hard on the hands after all.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    In Franklin's defense, that would be a funny line to use while he's spending wayyy too much time in the shower like some teenage boys. (and yes, I went there.)
    That brought some horrible flashback to when my sons were teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Or Groot.
    Groot's emotional and semantical range is beyond anything Emo Franklin can muster.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 06-26-2019 at 12:58 PM.

I am so glad I dropped this title like a hot potato.
    Thanks for posting these previews.
    It's hard, for me, to stay away from the FF, but these previews help.

Groot's emotional and semantical range is beyond anything Emo Franklin can muster.
    I stand corrected.

I like Franklin with a personality and a plot not about his parents. I would like it if Valeria turned up the bitch some more, though. I can't believe Slott stole that beat from the Lee and Kirby where Doom humbly works alongside and communicates honestly with his people, though.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

I'm sure we all know why Franklin's repeating his mantra every time he spills milk. It's to basically ward us off from questioning why he can't just will the problem of the week out of existence. Which also begs the question of why Franklin hasn't gone cosmic cube hunting to restore his powers or opened a portal into the home dimension of the Beyonders or learned magic.

I'm getting pretty sick of reading "I used to be a god and now I have limited power which is gone forever after I use it!" every time he stubs his toe, spills milk, or trips over his shoelaces.

BANNED

I really liked this issue. It's the kind of old school one and done that Slott is so good at crafting.

Nothing earth shaking happens but the characterizations are all on point, the crisis at hand is amusing, and the tease at the end promises fun times ahead.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    So what is the consensus on Slott's run thus far? He lost me by issue three.
    The consensus so far here is that it's one of the worst Fantastic Four runs ever, that it irreparably ruins the characters forever and that Slott is just the worst.

My reaction is; it's alright. Personally I would have liked a bigger storyline for the return of the Richards and the Foundation kids, I appreciate that he he wants to focus on the immediate family for now so sent the Foundation off but clearly they'll be back, I actually liked the Doom/Galactus arc but wished it had a stronger ending and perfectly fine with seeing how the Franklin emo thing works out if it isn't over already, the ending of the current issue seemed to show him happy that he has a role on the team. I'm also intrigued by the upcoming space storyline.

It'll be a while before we can let the hyperbole of this being the best/worst thing ever die down and actually put this work in context. The criticism that it covers old ground is a valid one, so far this has been mostly going back to the classic status quo but I don't see that as hugely a bad thing, that inevitably happens in comics and frankly Galactus had already been reverted to a world eater and the end of Infamous Iron Man very strongly implied Doom would return to villainy so even if you think it's a problem it's not one you can blame the current writer for nor begrudge him for...wanting too iuse classic versions of the characters that are available. It's not like Life Bringer Galactus and Infamous Iron Man were universally praised things at the time they were new anyway.

The book has been a bigger sales success that I would have predicted so clearly it's doing something right. What exactly it is that's connecting with people is probably going to take a while to see.
    Last edited by Orbus; 06-26-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Mighty Member

I like this run. It just feels directionless, which is usually not a great place to be when you're almost 12 issues in. Idk, it feels like a spin-off book that ought titled The Day and The Life of...The Fantastic Four. Maybe that's the mission statement. Maybe this should have been split into to books, one focusing on the comedy and drama in the vein of the wedding issues, and one with the big exploration/adventure stuff I imagine most of us expect or are longing for. I think the characters are well written. Doom, the man comes with high expectations, and I would say Slott has not lived up to those expectations, but I do see where he's going with that (or at least his intentions). Right now I would put it above Matt Fraction's but below James Robinson's.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I like this run. It just feels directionless, which is usually not a great place to be when you're almost 12 issues in. Idk, it feels like a spin-off book that ought titled The Day and The Life of...The Fantastic Four. Maybe that's the mission statement. Maybe this should have been split into to books, one focusing on the comedy and drama in the vein of the wedding issues, and one with the big exploration/adventure stuff I imagine most of us expect or are longing for. I think the characters are well written. Doom, the man comes with high expectations, and I would say Slott has not lived up to those expectations, but I do see where he's going with that (or at least his intentions). Right now I would put it above Matt Fraction's but below James Robinson's.
    The mission statement is Year 1: FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY THEY'RE BACK FAMILY FAMILY THEY'RE A FAMILY HERE'S THE STATUS QUO OF THE FAMILY

Year 2: Real ****?!

Year 3-5: WUMBO???
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved the cover, but man this is not a very good FF book.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    The consensus so far here is that it's one of the worst Fantastic Four runs ever, that it irreparably ruins the characters forever and that Slott is just the worst.

My reaction is; it's alright. Personally I would have liked a bigger storyline for the return of the Richards and the Foundation kids, I appreciate that he he wants to focus on the immediate family for now so sent the Foundation off but clearly they'll be back, I actually liked the Doom/Galactus arc but wished it had a stronger ending and perfectly fine with seeing how the Franklin emo thing works out if it isn't over already, the ending of the current issue seemed to show him happy that he has a role on the team. I'm also intrigued by the upcoming space storyline.

It'll be a while before we can let the hyperbole of this being the best/worst thing ever die down and actually put this work in context. The criticism that it covers old ground is a valid one, so far this has been mostly going back to the classic status quo but I don't see that as hugely a bad thing, that inevitably happens in comics and frankly Galactus had already been reverted to a world eater and the end of Infamous Iron Man very strongly implied Doom would return to villainy so even if you think it's a problem it's not one you can blame the current writer for nor begrudge him for...wanting too iuse classic versions of the characters that are available. It's not like Life Bringer Galactus and Infamous Iron Man were universally praised things at the time they were new anyway.

The book has been a bigger sales success that I would have predicted so clearly it's doing something right. What exactly it is that's connecting with people is probably going to take a while to see.
    Frank and Val should have been sent off too because a lot of the kids in the Future Foundation are just as much their kids as those two. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Frank and Val should have been sent off too because a lot of the kids in the Future Foundation are just as much their kids as those two. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Yeah, but Frank and Val are really Reed and Sue's children. While they might love the other FF kids like they're family, at the end of the day, Frank and Val are their actual kids. Of course they're going to stay with them while the others go off.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, but Frank and Val are really Reed and Sue's children. While they might love the other FF kids like they're family, at the end of the day, Frank and Val are their actual kids. Of course they're going to stay with them while the others go off.
    They adopted a lot of those kids and it's messed up say only Frank and Val are their actual kids.

Bentley, Vil, Wu, Artie, Leech, and the Moloids are just as much their kids as Frank and Val. Just because they aren't their biological kids doesn't make them any less important and to say otherwise is a bad look.

Alex, Onome, and Dragon Man are the only one's who aren't their kids.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-27-2019 at 04:49 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!