Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you mean Eric-I agree 100%.

If you mean Magdalene Visaggio-who was attacked by that group since DAY ONE-we have to disagree.

If the entitlement group who take issue with books that they NEVER read because they feel like certain folks have to have an accumulate resume to write comics. So far all I have seen are the same few names being tossed out not one thing about the CONTENT of the books. If "politics" in comics is such an issue for these books-the complainers would have had STROKES with books like Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Preacher, Y, DMZ, Sandman & Swamp Thing.
    With the exception of Swampthing all those books were considered utterly tame. It was books like Faust, Cherry, Black Kiss etc which were the ones under attack but comic book censorship and content was a big big issue in the 80s. Books were more explicit, dealt with more controversial topics, sold more and were more of a threat than today's watered down cautious content in the comic shop.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Bottom line is Vertigo got shutdown because DC did not want to properly COMPENSATE or give CREDIT to folks. It's what Tony Isabella, Dan Decarlos, Sulkinds and others FOUGHT for. It why Ethan Van Sciver threw away his DC career to work on his own stuff. It's why DC does NOT own Static.
    Folks saw this and bolted to other places to get their just DUE. Or they don't bother trying comics and stay in movies & tv.
    That's more a problem with the industry in general not just DC. The flight of many of Marvel's former a-listers to Image and indies. The problems with creators with Hellboy which was once upon a time an indie darling. Or even the dubious business practices of McFarlane era Image.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    With the exception of Swampthing all those books were considered utterly tame. It was books like Faust, Cherry, Black Kiss etc which were the ones under attack but comic book censorship and content was a big big issue in the 80s. Books were more explicit, dealt with more controversial topics, sold more and were more of a threat than today's watered down cautious content in the comic shop.
    Well, maybe not Preacher, but otherwise I agree. And nice to hear a mention of Faust! I have every issue somewhere around here, though the earliest ones are reprints. Classic stuff and you are right, comparatively speaking, no one is pushing boundaries like that today.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Well, maybe not Preacher, but otherwise I agree. And nice to hear a mention of Faust! I have every issue somewhere around here, though the earliest ones are reprints. Classic stuff and you are right, comparatively speaking, no one is pushing boundaries like that today.
    Baller comic collection with a full set of Faust!

I wonder how floppy comic world would react today if those types of books were published. I always felt there was a period when readers would fight for right for comics to say whatever they liked and acceptance that it was a broad church of expression. And then somewhere along the way readers became far less tolerant and demanded comics behave themselves

BANNED

EDIT:
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-25-2019 at 09:37 PM.