Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Default What makes you like Superman?

Like topic said. I first saw Supes was back in the time when I'm a child in his animated series but I'm not attracted by him, Untill recently I'm reading comics and my first comic book is All-Star Superman and after that I begin to interesting in him and trying to find more about his comics, Then after i'm reading more and more Superman comics, I found his characterization really attracting me. And unknowingly liked Supes
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

That he's just good because he's good. He does what he does because he wants to when he absolutely does not have to. That indeed, he could rule if he desired but instead he chooses to serve. He chooses sacrifice and non-personal gain (well, in the good status quos), to be a life-long public servant, so others can have those things. Again all this with the knowledge that the man is the closest thing to being a god without actually being a celestial being. That's how much he could EASILY do whatever he wants whenever he wanted and have whatever he wants whenever he wanted but does not. That's something that some would cite as to why he's boring, but for me its always been the best appeal.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-21-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I do like how Superman has always been this sort of...unwavering symbol for good. Characters who are always so hopeful and optimistic usually come off as boring or generic but I think Clark does a nice enough job of staying interesting. Much like how characters like Batman aren't all that great but Batman himself is.

Unfortunately, also like Batman, I recognize what makes Superman great...but I personally haven't been interested enough in him to really get into his solo stories. It's usually when he's part of a larger cast that I appreciate him the most. Like the Justice League or, more recently, his own family.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I guess... I like everything. I dunno. The character has this massive presentation, from the akimbo pose perched high with a swelling orchestra to silently sitting on a mound at the end of the universe. You know him, we all do. He's my favorite other fictional characters combined and has every adventure you can imagine. He's also like real heroes: cops, firefighters, soldiers, researchers, volunteer workers, etc.

I like his character because he's not treated like a character but a person. He's not a ball of catch phrases and moody quips, and instead of being defined by selfishness he's a nice helpful guy who balances humility with confidence. After fighting alien body snatchers for days on end he'll dust himself off and happily respond to the letter you wrote him, or fly across the country to rescue your cat.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

He'd probably be in the bottom half of my top ten. I like him a lot, but he's not really a favorite. Anyway.....

He's bright, positive, cheerful, actually worthy of being a fictional role model, doesn't have even a hint of anti-hero to him but is not a MarySue. No matter what they do to him, there is something inescapably classic and golden/silver age to him...as there should be!

Retired

He's very clean.

Lots of reasons, but to get to the heart of it: I love pulp and modern sci-fi and Ray Bradbury stories and Superman has always felt like a mix of those (even though he predates Bradbury’s biggest stories!). He mixes science fiction with mediation’s on morality and humanity while also including tons of punching. What’s not to like?

Censorship Sucks

It use to be because we live in a world where so many heroes are an anti-hero. Superman was just a clear cut, old fashioned, super hero. Course that is not the case anymore....but that is why I read old comics!

Simply put, his purity of purpose.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I dont know if I could properly put it into words without writing a fifty page essay. Suffice to say, I adore everything about the character; the nuance and duality of Clark-Superman is one of the most fascinating constructs I've encountered in fiction. His motivations are inspiring and I love that he's not driven by some personal tragedy. The mythology behind Krypton is rich and fun and full of cautionary tales that remain relevant no matter what year it is.

Superman's the ultimate Alpha; strong and strong-willed and determined and stubborn, but also open minded and fair and kind and confident, without the need to prove anything to anyone. Clark is what everyone should aspire to be.

He's like religion, but without the arguments about whether he's real or if we'll be punished for not following him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

He's the OG.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Astonishing Member

Other people here have already listed some of the reasons.

Superman is aspirational. He is powerful enough to do what he wants without much fear of reprisal, but he still chooses to do what is right. When done properly he isn't indecisive. He seems to just know what needs to be done and does it. And it isn't because his parents died, or he learned some lesson about power and responsibility, he simply chooses from the start to help because it comes naturally to him.

And I loved the classic Clark/Superman split where all the things I could relate to were Clark and all the stuff I knew (or wished) I could be were Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    Like topic said. I first saw Supes was back in the time when I'm a child in his animated series but I'm not attracted by him, Untill recently I'm reading comics and my first comic book is All-Star Superman and after that I begin to interesting in him and trying to find more about his comics, Then after i'm reading more and more Superman comics, I found his characterization really attracting me. And unknowingly liked Supes
    There's something about a strong, virtuous man that I have always liked.

Retired

It's a hormonal thing.

Boisterously Confused

He's the first. I can never get past that. He is the source from which almost all of the tropes of the genre have flowed. Sure, there were characters acting in disguise, and displaying amazing abilities, and even of alien origin before him, but never in the unique combination S&S put to paper in 1938.

Beyond that, I love his optimistic respect for us and restraint. Some of my favorite stories are of him wrestling with using his power to force change, and choosing to trust us enough to make our own mistakes in the confidence that we will become better (all evidence to the contrary to-date).

I like Superman the most, however, when writers remember that he's as intelligent as he is strong, and aren't afraid to showcase him that way.