Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Among the Batman rogues, where do you rank Bane?

So it's no secret that currently Tom King has made Bane the top dog among the Batman villains. But where do you rank the big man? Do you see him as a contender to be in the top ten greatest Batman villains? Top 5? Top 3?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Pretty high up.
    1. Batman Who Laughs (universe level)
    2. Ra's al Ghul/Talia al Ghul (international and personal)
    3. Joker (personal and how large he wants to be)
    4. Bane (city level and personal)
    5. Riddler (city level)
    6. Two-Face (personal)

So Top 5. (I only just now made this list)

I'd probably say as far as how dangerous the foe is:

1) Joker
    2) Ra's
    3) Bane

As far as being the "best" characters, he's top 10 for sure. Many of the greats like Riddler, Two-Face, Penguin, Catwoman, and Scarecrow have not put him through the ringer like Bane has twice now.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

My List

1.) Joker
    2.) Ra's al Ghul
    3.) Bane
    4.) Riddler
    5.) Two-Face
    6.) Scarecrow
    7.) Penguin
    8.) Dr. Hugo Strange
    9.) Mr. Freeze
    10.) Poison Ivy
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-21-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

This is what I truly believe ALL TIME, accumulated comic book / media / ect, not "She does not count, she's not a villain anymore", which now possibly applies to Batman's top three former villainesses.

1. Joker
    2. Penguin
    3. Catwoman
    4. Riddler
    5. Two-Face
    6. Ra's Al Ghul
    7. Scarecrow
    8. Poison Ivy
    9. Mister Freeze
    10. Harley Quinn

Going down further:

11. Killer Croc
    12. Mad Hatter
    13. Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    So it's no secret that currently Tom King has made Bane the top dog among the Batman villains. But where do you rank the big man? Do you see him as a contender to be in the top ten greatest Batman villains? Top 5? Top 3?
    To me Bane is a boy that has been raised inside a prison. He blames Batman for it.
    So to me, Bane has only muscles and no brain. Well at least far from what the Joker, the Riddler, Poison Ivy and Two-Face have.
    He might be strong and scary, with some brain, Joker, the Riddler or even Poison Ivy could easily remove him.
    So no he's not in the top 3.
    He's also missing some crazyness and unpredictability that the old time batman rogue has. He's less fun.
    So scenario wise, everytime he pops out it will be the same kind of story.
    It's one big arc with Knightfall, another with Tom King's run, but I don't see what we can do with him after that.

To me the most dangerous vilain will always be The Joker.
    I might consider Bane in the Top 10 but not the top 5.

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

Which Bane are we talking about? Dixon's classic rendition "noble beast" Bane who at times bordered on anti-hero? Or King's humanity-devoid completely evil psychopath Bane?

He's my favorite DC character, so of course he ranks at Top 1 when it comes to Bat villains, followed by Dr Hugo Strange, only considering my personal interests. If we talk about certain limits of reach, strenght, brains, etcetera, it can change
    Last edited by Chubistian; 06-21-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerInTheDark View Post
    Which Bane are we talking about? Dixon's classic rendition "noble beast" Bane who at times bordered on anti-hero? Or King's humanity-devoid completely evil psychopath Bane?
    Do both. I'm curious.

Hmm, he's on the list, but not in my top five. Probably in the top ten?

I'll be honest and say that Tom Hardy's Bane is my favorite, just because of how campy it is.

Actually, I think I should say Auralnauts Bane is my favorite.

Astonishing Member

Top 10. Will try a list at some point.

Astonishing Member

1. The Joker.
    2. Ra's al Ghul.
    3. Bane.
    4. Two-Face.
    5. The Riddler.
    6. The Scarecrow.
    7. Mr. Freeze.
    8. Catwoman.
    9. The Penguin.
    10. Poison Ivy.

Mighty Member

He's probably (like most lists above) a solid third as a threat. He's just not quite as versatile as some of the ones below (Penguin, Scarecrow, Riddler) in terms of the types of stories you can tell with him, though.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Bane is up there with Ra's, for top tier.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    He's probably (like most lists above) a solid third as a threat. He's just not quite as versatile as some of the ones below (Penguin, Scarecrow, Riddler) in terms of the types of stories you can tell with him, though.
    Secret Six by Gail Simone proved that you can do stories with Bane that escape what one would expect with the character. Also, Scarecrow (sadly) is trapped in a place where writers keep on repeating the whole fear gas thing and it got kinda boring, though I didn't read Kings of Fear, so maybe that story did a twist in the concept. DC should get rid of the N52 Scarecrow costume and make something more terrifying, not necessarily as edgy as his design in Arkham Knight, but something closer to the design in The New Batman Adventures
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH