Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

This past issue was great. It always nice to see Galactus being treated as something truly grandiose, and Strange being treated as he used to prior to the 2000's in being a true protector of all of existence. I'm reminded of both the Black Celestial Saga (strongly in this case, but with the Dreaming/Black Celestial being substituted for Dormammu and to a lesser extent Mephisto, both in terms of their ambitious plans and their hubris leading to their doom), as well as the Abraxas Saga to some extent (just with Galactus as the threat to the multiverse and beyond)- in terms of scope and relation to Galactus at least.

The story is a nice change of pace considering Strange's treatment in what feels like the past 15 years or so (as a hero, his powers, his relationships, his stature as one of the regular saviors of existence, etc), the weak Galactus/Doom story in the recent FF issues, and after Ewing changed Galactus from being the hero and savior of the First Firmament arc (which in my eyes ruined the arc as the setup for the end was clear with Galactus seemingly destined to consume The First Firmament to stop it). Ewing's change was all for naught as he wanted to keep lifebringer Galactus around, yet he only lasted what 1 year until he went back to classic Galactus (I mean how was this inevitability not obvious to Ewing?) This feels to me like a very Strange Tales/classic vol.'s 1-3 Dr. Strange type story as well as classic Fantastic Four type stuff mixed in there. I've sorely missed these types of stories.

I've always wanted to see Galactus and Dormammu face off as they both have consumption as key parts of their existence. Galactus consuming worlds, celestial bodies, and energy in general, Dormammu consuming entire dimensions to add to his empire/Dark Dimension. Dormammu, though a villain (unlike Galactus), always felt like the sort of magic/mystic real equivalent to Galactus in a way. Dormammu picked a bad time in this case though as he picked a fight not with Galactus consumer of worlds, but Galactus consumer of the entire multiverse and every other dimension that has had any sort of interaction or relationship with it. Not even the Beyonders were this much of a threat in terms of scope since a lot/most of those other dimensions were left untouched.

I haven't been this interested to see how an arc ends in a while, so I hope it's done in a satisfying way.

This is my favourite series atm -- the art combined with the stories - brilliant.

The last two single story issues #18 & #19 have been thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    This is my favourite series atm -- the art combined with the stories - brilliant.

The last two single story issues #18 & #19 have been thoroughly enjoyable.
    Haven't read 19 yet (probably tomorrow morning - Friday the 13th is a day for Doc), but the single issue stories are unusual for a series coming to either an ending or a major change. I did, of course glance at the ending and that development seems to fit with a status change, though. But I'm still expecting a twist next issue.

From Doc 19:
    "There will be a price for this, you know."

From the solicit for Doc 20:
    • An event so epic shakes Doctor Strange to the core and makes him completely reevaluate his life and role.
    • This event is so huge that it makes this the LAST ISSUE OF DOCTOR STRANGE!

Now Doc renouncing his powers would seem stupid based on his almost comical quests to regain them in recent years. And that has been done already. I'm personally leaning towards his forgetting his medical knowledge and losing his ability to doctor. Now we could see a book called "Strange" in the near future, adding credence to the "last issue of DOCTOR Strange" phrase. I'd dislike this as Doc's scientific knowledge with his medicine is an important part of his persona, straddling two worlds, so to speak.

Feel free to speculate.

They already announced it. The next series is called Doctor Strange: Surgeon Supreme. It's still written by Waid.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    From Doc 19:
    "There will be a price for this, you know."

From the solicit for Doc 20:
    • An event so epic shakes Doctor Strange to the core and makes him completely reevaluate his life and role.
    • This event is so huge that it makes this the LAST ISSUE OF DOCTOR STRANGE!

Now Doc renouncing his powers would seem stupid based on his almost comical quests to regain them in recent years. And that has been done already. I'm personally leaning towards his forgetting his medical knowledge and losing his ability to doctor. Now we could see a book called "Strange" in the near future, adding credence to the "last issue of DOCTOR Strange" phrase. I'd dislike this as Doc's scientific knowledge with his medicine is an important part of his persona, straddling two worlds, so to speak.

Feel free to speculate.
    Well, seeing as the book is being relaunched in December as Doctor Strange: Surgeon Supreme, I think we can safely say he does not forget about his medical knowledge or loses his ability to doctor.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-doctor-st...rgeon-supreme/

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    i recall the carefree days of when a creative team changed they simply changed the creative team and didn't feel the need to relaunch the whole title.
    Essentially the comic industry pre-2003 give or take a year.

Yeah, I miss that as well. The cancel/relaunch as a gimmick to get weak minded folk and LCS owners to up orders on a book is indeed sad.
    Just highly publicize your new creative team. The Dynamic talent of x,y,z starts on Doctor Strange #21, try it next month!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Well, seeing as the book is being relaunched in December as Doctor Strange: Surgeon Supreme, I think we can safely say he does not forget about his medical knowledge or loses his ability to doctor.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-doctor-st...rgeon-supreme/
    The only fault in my brilliant conjecture was a lack of knowledge of the situation. Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Essentially the comic industry pre-2003 give or take a year.

Yeah, I miss that as well. The cancel/relaunch as a gimmick to get weak minded folk and LCS owners to up orders on a book is indeed sad.
    Just highly publicize your new creative team. The Dynamic talent of x,y,z starts on Doctor Strange #21, try it next month!!
    Pretty pathetic use of a relaunch. "Surgeon Supreme seems like a nice name for a story arc, but for a relaunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They already announced it. The next series is called Doctor Strange: Surgeon Supreme. It's still written by Waid.

I really don't think this warranted a full relaunch, although I guess no one's done Strange with a day job before? Could be interesting to see him juggle his old profession with who he is now.

And is he back to his classic costume now?

I’m just wondering why they waited so long to do it. And i’m Wondering if we’ll get a crossover with Jane foster/ Valkyrie.

Doubt it, because Jane isn't working as a Doctor. She got demoted to morgue assistant for being unreliable.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I hope Stephen can put his renews skills as a consultant in areas beyond New York City. Other cities across the country and globe.

I’m w. Frontier in that this didn’t warrant a relaunch.

A book that’s been cancelled multiple times undermines the character’s validity. Why not just let the book build its numbers? When I see a book in the 30s-40s (and i’ve Seen a lot over the last couple years, as I had a long lay off from reading and am finding all sorts of stuff I missed out on), i’m more inclined to take a look and see what’s warranted the staying power.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doubt it, because Jane isn't working as a Doctor. She got demoted to morgue assistant for being unreliable.
    Maybe they can work in the same hospital?����*♂️

Makes me long for Thomas, Stern and Gillis all the more.
    Sigh.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.