Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you like the idea of the Joker knowing Batman's identity?

I get the idea that it makes it more personal, because then Joker knows where to strike, emotionally speaking.

But I don't like it. I think their conflict needs to remain between the Joker and Batman, with the Joker having no interest in the actual person beneath the mask.

Plus, of course, as with every villain, there's the long-term effects of the identity being known. Joker's got his own weird sort of way, so maybe he for some reason would never ever reveal it, even after targeted jabs don't work. It's a hard sell, but maybe. But this happens with other villains, too, sometimes, when it just doesn't make sense. So, I really think villains should only very, very rarely know heroes identities.

I don't like the idea.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No, simply because there are already other villains more suited to knowing his identity
    Ra's, because he's family
    Bane, because that's his thing
    Two-Face, because they used to be besties
    Hugo Strange, the psychiatrist
    Riddler, because he's supposed to be smart, although narcissistic too, so that may be the only thing preventing that happening

Censorship Sucks

Batman is the real identity. Bruce Wayne is the mask.

I've actually always kinda liked the idea of Joker knowing who Batman is but not caring. He's interested in Batman, not Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I've actually always kinda liked the idea of Joker knowing who Batman is but not caring. He's interested in Batman, not Bruce Wayne.
    This. The Joker and Gordon are two characters who absolutely should've figured out Batman's identity, but simply don't care.

I guess I sort of think of it as the Joker actively choosing not to find out. Or, at least, that's the idea I like. He thinks it would be less fun that way.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I don’t think Joker necessarily cares who Batman is under the cowl but he would definitely use that information to get Batman to the dance floor.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 06-21-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    This. The Joker and Gordon are two characters who absolutely should've figured out Batman's identity, but simply don't care.
    Yeah I think it'd be more suitable if Joker knew and just didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Yeah I think it'd be more suitable if Joker knew and just didn't care.
    That could indeed work.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-21-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

This is how I prefer it, too.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Agreed. I'm with you guys on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I don’t think Joker necessarily cares who Batman is under the cowl but he would definitely use that information to get Batman to the dance floor.
    Yea, I think that's the major thing regarding him, like he doesn't actually care Batman is Bruce Wayne, but he'll take advantage of knowing his secrets, like where the bat cave is, if it suits his agenda or plan, like what he did in The Batman Who Laughs, etc.

I think the only time Joker knowing Batman's identity was really relevant was in the Telltale games where he actually had a significant relationship with Bruce. Otherwise it doesn't really matter since all he cares about is Batman.

(Well, Return of the Joker too, but that was basically the "ending" for Joker anyways so it didn't matter in the long-run that he found out);.

That's kinda where I'm at with it too.

If I had it my way, I think I'd say that the Joker *could* find out who Batman is, but doesn't bother because it's just not important to him. Like, he has all the evidence he needs to work out the secret, and he knows that all he has to do is string it together for the answer but.....that's just not as fun. I think the Joker sees Batman as the "real" person, so there's no need to go after the disguise. I think, much in the same way that Joker doesn't seem to care about who he was before he became the Joker, he doesn't care who Batman was before becoming Batman.

Plus, if Joker *did* put it together.....what can he do with it? If he goes after Bruce Wayne people will notice, then they'll figure it out too.....and not only would that steal the attention away from Joker himself, but it would ruin the punchline!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.