Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member Castiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    345

    Default How would you feel if they reinvented old classic villains used them instead?

    So I've been watching the Batman 1966 TV Series and it's so much better than I expected and one of my favorite villains is Bookworm I think if he was revamped properly he could be up there with Riddler I also liked King Tut who I feel also could be revamped in the comics as well maybe as a supernatural threat. That being said how would you feel if current more modern villains were pushed to the back burner and replaced with revamped versions of classic Batman villains?

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,290

    Sure I say. Reinvention did wonders for Mr. Freeze, see BTAS episode "Heart of Ice".
    "I'm sorry, but your story isn't adding up. I think your religion is a lie to keep my mouth shut."

  3. #3
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    So I've been watching the Batman 1966 TV Series and it's so much better than I expected and one of my favorite villains is Bookworm I think if he was revamped properly he could be up there with Riddler I also liked King Tut who I feel also could be revamped in the comics as well maybe as a supernatural threat. That being said how would you feel if current more modern villains were pushed to the back burner and replaced with revamped versions of classic Batman villains?
    Love the idea.

    King Tut (already updated), Bookworm, Egghead, Sweet Tooth, Simon the Pieman, Zelda the Great (already updated), the Robber Baron, the Sparrow, the Silken Spider, the Sable Lady and etcetera.

    So many villains, so much potential, so tired of seeing Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Mister Freeze.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member Castiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Love the idea.

    King Tut (already updated), Bookworm, Egghead, Sweet Tooth, Simon the Pieman, Zelda the Great (already updated), the Robber Baron, the Sparrow, the Silken Spider, the Sable Lady and etcetera.

    So many villains, so much potential, so tired of seeing Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Mister Freeze.
    Yeah one of my biggest problems is how so many good villains fade into obscurity in favor of over used well known villains I'm particularly sick of Ra's al Ghul and wouldn't mind him and his League disappearing for a while. I think a good plot would be one where it looks like a Batman villain team up of all his famous foes but in a surprise twist all his prominent rogues are side lined by long forgotten rogues like Bookworm, Egghead (who could just have a weird speech impediment), Mad Monk, Doctor Tzin-Tzin (who could be reinvented as a MK Shang Tsung type character a martial artist and necromancer/sorcerer), King Tut (who could be a supernatural force), and the leader could be Doctor Death Batman's first super villain and the over all plot could be about them having trapped the "popular" rogues in like a pocket dimension and divided Gotham for themselves in a Arkham Knight type story line.

    Also I really like the idea of Tzin-Tzin being made into a Shang Tsung type character because I really get sick of Ra's al Ghul having the Lazarus Pit to bale him out of death and it would be interesting if Tzin-Tzin was reintroduced as a much older and more mysterious martial artist and I'd love for him to always be the guy who knocks Ra's down a peg you know? I think a good way to reintroduce Tzin-Tzin would be if he was the guy who trained Bruce and they had a father and son type relationship but then he resurfaced and was shown to not be as pure and good as Bruce originally thought but for him to have his reasons for his actions basically I'd like for them to be like Domon Kashu and Master Asia from Mobile Fighter G Gundam in this video.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Yeah one of my biggest problems is how so many good villains fade into obscurity in favor of over used well known villains I'm particularly sick of Ra's al Ghul and wouldn't mind him and his League disappearing for a while. I think a good plot would be one where it looks like a Batman villain team up of all his famous foes but in a surprise twist all his prominent rogues are side lined by long forgotten rogues like Bookworm, Egghead (who could just have a weird speech impediment), Mad Monk, Doctor Tzin-Tzin (who could be reinvented as a MK Shang Tsung type character a martial artist and necromancer/sorcerer), King Tut (who could be a supernatural force), and the leader could be Doctor Death Batman's first super villain and the over all plot could be about them having trapped the "popular" rogues in like a pocket dimension and divided Gotham for themselves in a Arkham Knight type story line.

    Also I really like the idea of Tzin-Tzin being made into a Shang Tsung type character because I really get sick of Ra's al Ghul having the Lazarus Pit to bale him out of death and it would be interesting if Tzin-Tzin was reintroduced as a much older and more mysterious martial artist and I'd love for him to always be the guy who knocks Ra's down a peg you know? I think a good way to reintroduce Tzin-Tzin would be if he was the guy who trained Bruce and they had a father and son type relationship but then he resurfaced and was shown to not be as pure and good as Bruce originally thought but for him to have his reasons for his actions basically I'd like for them to be like Domon Kashu and Master Asia from Mobile Fighter G Gundam in this video.
    G Gundam is the pinnacle of the Gundam franchise and a top 10 anime.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member Castiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    G Gundam is the pinnacle of the Gundam franchise and a top 10 anime.
    Absolutely. I love anime because of how complex the antagonists can be and Master Asia is by far one of the best I love his relationship with Domon and how even though they are enemies they still care about each other. If Tzin-Tzin was reintroduced I'd like for his personality and relationship with Bruce to be similar especially because the relationship between a sensei and student can be very close and yet very few of Bruce's mentors are ever really explored and when they are they are usually some other popular DC character.

    Also it'd be nice for there to be a legendary martial artist figure in DC that's not associated Ra's al Ghul and can wipe the floor with the League.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    G Gundam is the pinnacle of the Gundam franchise and a top 10 anime.
    So it is, preach.
    "I'm sorry, but your story isn't adding up. I think your religion is a lie to keep my mouth shut."

  8. #8
    Spectacular Member Nero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Yeah one of my biggest problems is how so many good villains fade into obscurity in favor of over used well known villains I'm particularly sick of Ra's al Ghul and wouldn't mind him and his League disappearing for a while. I think a good plot would be one where it looks like a Batman villain team up of all his famous foes but in a surprise twist all his prominent rogues are side lined by long forgotten rogues like Bookworm, Egghead (who could just have a weird speech impediment), Mad Monk, Doctor Tzin-Tzin (who could be reinvented as a MK Shang Tsung type character a martial artist and necromancer/sorcerer), King Tut (who could be a supernatural force), and the leader could be Doctor Death Batman's first super villain and the over all plot could be about them having trapped the "popular" rogues in like a pocket dimension and divided Gotham for themselves in a Arkham Knight type story line.

    Also I really like the idea of Tzin-Tzin being made into a Shang Tsung type character because I really get sick of Ra's al Ghul having the Lazarus Pit to bale him out of death and it would be interesting if Tzin-Tzin was reintroduced as a much older and more mysterious martial artist and I'd love for him to always be the guy who knocks Ra's down a peg you know? I think a good way to reintroduce Tzin-Tzin would be if he was the guy who trained Bruce and they had a father and son type relationship but then he resurfaced and was shown to not be as pure and good as Bruce originally thought but for him to have his reasons for his actions
    I'm all in favor of bringing Tzin Tzin back to relevancy but I don't see what purpose it serves to do it at the expense of Ra's. Ra's shouldn't have to be knocked down a peg in favor of anyone especially a character that's been in obscurity for so long. Quite frankly, it's a cheap way of building that character up. If the character has potential (and I believe that in the case of Tzin Tzin, he does) then that can be more than enough to elevate them. Furthermore, the father and son type relationship that you're describing is more synonymous with Batman and Ra's (which was emphasized even further with Batman Begins) than it is with Batman and any of his other villains. To do that with Tzin Tzin would cast him in the shadow of Ra's as oppose to being a character that can be differentiated from Ra's.

    With Tzin Tzin, I say let him work his magic as the top crime lord not just in Gotham City but also across the DCU because that's essentially what he strive for in his first appearance. I've always wanted to see Batman go up against a Wilson Fisk type foe and I know some people might refer to the Penguin but in all honestly I've never considered Oswald even remotely close to that considering all of the times Batman has straight punked the guy out. Whereas with Tzin Tzin, it can be a case where he's untouchable in every facet. Batman and Tzin Tzin battling one another for the sake of Gotham would do wonders for Tzin Tzin's credibility.
    Last edited by Nero; 06-22-2019 at 12:08 AM.

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Furthermore, the father and son type relationship that you're describing is more synonymous with Batman and Ra's (which was emphasized even further with Batman Begins)
    That's a retcon/relationship dynamic I never liked, frankly. I guess I'm on the opposite end - I'm tired of every other villain/secret organization that exists having (or being retconned to have) a long, personal relationship with the hero. Actually the same can be said for new heroes/sidekicks. I think there's a lot to be said to bringing in new villains (or heroes) from the ground up and building those relationships instead of just taking the shortcut and saying they were there all along (regardless of whether existing heroes knew about them). I find it kinda lazy writing to the hard work of actually developing the relationships. Also often makes past stories make no sense in retrospect.

  10. #10
    Fantastic Member Castiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That's a retcon/relationship dynamic I never liked, frankly. I guess I'm on the opposite end - I'm tired of every other villain/secret organization that exists having (or being retconned to have) a long, personal relationship with the hero. Actually the same can be said for new heroes/sidekicks. I think there's a lot to be said to bringing in new villains (or heroes) from the ground up and building those relationships instead of just taking the shortcut and saying they were there all along (regardless of whether existing heroes knew about them). I find it kinda lazy writing to the hard work of actually developing the relationships. Also often makes past stories make no sense in retrospect.
    Yeah I've never been a fan of Ra's being connected to Bruce that's why I suggested the whole Tzin-Tzin thing but I'd be more than happy if they went a Shang Tsung route with him.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    I...

    With Tzin Tzin, I say let him work his magic as the top crime lord not just in Gotham City but also across the DCU because that's essentially what he strive for in his first appearance. I've always wanted to see Batman go up against a Wilson Fisk type foe and I know some people might refer to the Penguin but in all honestly I've never considered Oswald even remotely close to that considering all of the times Batman has straight punked the guy out. Whereas with Tzin Tzin, it can be a case where he's untouchable in every facet. Batman and Tzin Tzin battling one another for the sake of Gotham would do wonders for Tzin Tzin's credibility.
    I envision Tzin Tzin as DCU's Taskmaster.

    His abilities of 'oriental mind-control' would make an amazing teacher/headmaster for a school of henchmen and/or future supervillains.

  12. #12
    Spectacular Member Nero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I envision Tzin Tzin as DCU's Taskmaster.

    His abilities of 'oriental mind-control' would make an amazing teacher/headmaster for a school of henchmen and/or future supervillains.
    That would be cool.

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,327

    Default

    Tzim Tzin is also one I likd to see return.

    But there are also a bunch of other bronze age comics villains, that have imo potential (and they wouldn't even have to reinvent them much) like Spellbinder, Mirage and Spook.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Tzim Tzin is also one I likd to see return.

    But there are also a bunch of other bronze age comics villains, that have imo potential (and they wouldn't even have to reinvent them much) like Spellbinder, Mirage and Spook.
    Spellbinder was Silver Age.

    My vote's going to be for the Monarch of Menace.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •