Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    So what? Nothing to do with the movies. Look at the sales of GotG, for example.
    I was joking.

An animated series would do more for sales than a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    LMAO
    Apocalypse was a huge commercial success:

X-Men: Apocalypse grossed $155.4 million in the U.S. and Canada and $388.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $543.9 million against a budget of $178 million.[4] The film is the fourth-highest-grossing film in the X-Men series (without adjusting for inflation), behind Deadpool, Logan, and X-Men: Days of Future Past.[98] It made 27% less than Days of Future Past.[99]
    I must be having memory issues... Cause I don't remember asking about the box office?

LMAO

X-Men: Apocalypse grossed $155.4 million in the U.S. and Canada and $388.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $543.9 million against a budget of $178 million.[4] The film is the fourth-highest-grossing film in the X-Men series (without adjusting for inflation), behind Deadpool, Logan, and X-Men: Days of Future Past.[98] It made 27% less than Days of Future Past.[99]
    It's not even good numbers.
    Ant-Man made almost the same with a budget of $130 million.

But about the thread, unfortunately I don't think the movies are forming new readers.

We are having more and more comics-based movies and TV shows, but the comics industry is losing sales every year.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I really don't think the movies affect the books sales.

Movies do affect book sales. They effect collection sales. There is a reason why Infinity Gauntlet has been the highest-selling thing for years and Spider-Verse has a second wind. But we don't have those numbers anyway.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Good, popular, zeitgeist-altering movies have a positive effect on comics sales.

X-Men comic sales have actually tanked since the Fox-Men films came onto the scene, and the IP is actually at it's lowest point since the early 70's now that DP has sunk at the box office.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

LMAO

It wasn't a commercial success. it didn't even made the budget on US

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Movies do affect book sales. They effect collection sales. There is a reason why Infinity Gauntlet has been the highest-selling thing for years and Spider-Verse has a second wind. But we don't have those numbers anyway.
    Yes, movies have apositive on Trades and OGNs. Civil war, winter soldier, Infinity gauntlet.

On floppies it is hard to get the same effect

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I guess so.

Having no great X-Men movies in the theatres like we used to have in the past 19 years, well, that will affect the sales of the comic book titles, especially the unnecessary and redundant "collateral" X-Teams.
    Pertaining to the X-Men specifically... you would be guessing wrong.
    Long before any studio thought of doing an X-Men movie and long before Superhero Movies became a "thing" the X-books were huge sellers thanks to consistency in great writing and art...much more so then as compared to now.

Being born in 1979 my first memories of comic book characters are of outside media.

Watching live action shows and films like Reeve Superman films, West Batman, Reeves Adventures of Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain America TV movies, Spider-Man TV movie pilot (Show wasn't in rotation at time in my area but the pilot got replayed occasionally), and especially one of my favorite TV shows Incredible Hulk (Side note I also thought Greatest American Hero was a comic book character for a time ).

Then there was animation like Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Super Friends, Incredible Hulk, Ruby Spears Superman, Batman and Robin with Scooby Doo, and Spider-Woman.

Also my first Video game I owned was my mum bought me Spider-Man for Atari.

This stuff brought me to comics and I know a lot of friends a little younger than me who said the DCAU and 90's Marvel animated shows like Spider-Man and X-Men were there gateway. Also I see YouTube comments during Endgame of people saying they grew up on the MCU which was very family friendly.

So I agree outside Media helps beings people to the medium of comics but my question is the X-Men film franchises wasn't that kid friendly as many have stated many times and from X-Men (2000) to Logan always seemed to ridicule the comics so has this film franchises ever brought people into the comics?

I'm really curious if you're someone who grew up on the X-Men films were they big factor of bringing you into comics or was it more stuff like X-Men Evolution?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    An animated series would do more for sales than a movie.
    I agree that a good animated series would do wonders for the X-Men. The problem is I don't trust Marvel to do good animated series anymore. As long as Jeph "dumb it all down to a 5 year olds level" Loeb is in charge of animation we are not going to see a good animated series from Marvel again.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

-Marvel and Fox were functionally fighting with Marvel benching X-men(and FF) as a major franchise to spite Fox. Marvel even started the process of replacing mutants as the primary source of natural superpowers with the Inhumans terrigenesis taking its place so Marvel didn't give fox any new creations it could use. They was very little synergy between the companies. Marvel clearly wasn't trying to support the Fox even if it meant hurting the X-men and plus this fine because it made it easier to support the Avengers brand.
    Yeah, the only good things about the Inhuman push are Ms Marvel and Moon Girl. Both would probably have been mutants had they debuted a couple of years earlier (Moon BOY was a mutant and Carol was in the X-Men book for a while, so it would've made sense for Lunella and Kamala to be mutants). The only story that would've been seriously altered is IVX - which likely wouldn't have existed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Well other than when Green Lantern trades were being sold in every store, these days GN sales are pretty isolated. It is a boost for the publisher, but I think the more important effect to measure is new readers in monthly comics.

I'm not talking about whether a movie drives people to stores.

What the effect of characters being present in other media means is how likely a readers is predisposed to checking out a title when they eventually decide to take the plunge.

In that sense, X-Men will be fighting an uphill battle for awhile as the lack of X-Men being present in any Marvel/Disney marketing will have an effect on a significant portion of the next wave of readers. The lack of movies will also not help as these new readers get closer to the reading demographic age.

I'm pretty sure Marvel said they had numbers that proved the MCU and related films have almost no affect on the comicbooks. They tried, and viewers just rarely care about the comicbooks.

I agree that a good animated series would probably help X-Men comics more than movies. The 90's cartoon probably earned more new X-Men fans than all the movies combined.

Plus there's more new potential fans in the younger crowd than the older crowd, hook them young and you have them for life. Bastards did it to me as a kid, now I'm hooked.