Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Default What is your first impression about your favorite character(s)?

Well, The thing is: I first reading GL's comics was Geoff's run and really liked the characterization of his Hal.

But when I become a hal fan and trying to read more about his comics, Find out Hal's characterization(Geoff) has big difference from his previous characterization, For example: Geoff's Hal always question the authority and Sinestro really impressed by Hal this trait, But before Geoff, Hal has been portrayed respect the authority and Sinestro not really likes or respects Hal like Geoff's version

So I wondering What is your first impression about your favorite character(s)? Sometimes I think it is really interesting a character could have different characterizations in different writers.( Though sometimes, When a bad writer portraying the character you liked, It will really make you want to drop the comic)
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

"Why is Cyborg mad he has cybernetics? This isn't what TTG told me when they introduced me to him..."
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Extraordinary Member

Superboy, glimpsed as a toy in a commercial for the Death of Superman line: “WOW! He has a leather jacket! That makes him cool!

Tim Drake, first summarized as a profile rundown on the internet about the Robins: “Huh, a nerd Robin who’s good at his job. Cool.”

Guy Gardner, name only glimpsed occasionally in letter columns of back issues bought from antique stores: “I don’t know who this Guy person is, but they sound like a hell-raiser.” (Not Hellraiser, just hell-raiser.)

Cassandra Cain, glimpsed somewhere on internet page breaking down all Batfamily members: “...That is one scary-ass Batgirl costume.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

I knee-jerk react adversely to characters that seem like reverse-gendered clones of popular established heroes. Bat-ladies, Super-chicklets, 'she' Hulks, Spider-femmes.

About half the time, I eat that tasty crow and end up liking the She-Hulk better than the He-Hulk, or the Rose Wilson / Ravager better than the disappointing Mary Sue that Deathstroke has turned into since his heyday in the '80s.

With Rose, it went one step further into instant dislike, since my first introduction to her was reading about her online, with a panel that showed Wintergreen noting that she looked 'just like a younger Slade' with the 'white hair' and all, and remembering quite clearly that Slade had been *blonde* as a younger man (when he first met Wintergreen, in fact!), and only had white hair *because he was old.* I was pissy about that writer's fail, and that she only had one eye (implying that losing your eye after your wife shoots you in the head is apparently something you can pass on to your kids...) which, at the time, I didn't know that there was a story reason for.

And then she showed up in the Teen Titans and was kind of an awesome character. So I was happy to be wrong about that.

There've been a few characters I didn't like at first blush, but grew to love. Vixen struck me as just another replacement Detroit League loser, at first, but became my favorite Leaguer, up there with more classic members like Black Canary. Booster Gold seemed like a vainglorious twit, like the most annoying jock in high school won the lottery and got to be a superhero (and to be fair, he kind of was!), but has since grown into a much more interesting character, and one of my favorites. Robin, from the old Superfriends days. Yikes. How I loathed Batman's colorful circus-acrobat child-sidekick, and now Dick Grayson / Nightwing as an adult is one my favorite DC heroes. How time (and puberty) changes thing!

Empty is thy hand!

I really disliked Huntress at first but grew to appreciate her unique position and character.

I used to hate Cyborg because of TTG. Wow have times changed...

"Batgirl is awesome. She rides a motorcycle and listens to Moloko!"

I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who thinks the Superman TAS was better than Batman TAS. I thought the episodes were more consistent, it probably never reached the height of Batman TAS, but it definitely didn't have as many stinkers.

And I thought Bruce Timm made Batman look very powerless in Batman TAS (not Justice League), he was getting beat up by everyone.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dick wasn't a favorite character then, just someone who's understandably a child. Neither annoying nor likable. A sidekick of Batman and that's about it. My opinion on him goes up and down depending on the portrayal and his hairstyle. His mullet actually made me quit BTAS. Like, what are you doing with your life?

First time I saw him after a decade though? Hello, hottie. He's kind, understanding, Batman actually listens to him and can honestly do a heart to heart with him, I mean what? Respect? Then the more I read him the more I realized he became the more emotionally mature one. The baby sitter big brother. The good listener.

He's everything I want from the main character physically, emotionally, and character-design-ly. There weren't many main male characters of that age range that's both emotionally vulnerable, masculine, badass and sexual all at the same time.

The emotionally vulnerable one is usually young (side-eyeing my avatar) the sexy ones are usually broody, and the cheerful one is usually the clown.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-23-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Boisterously Confused

The original Hourman was my favorite from the first time I came across him in one of the JL/JSA crossovers. I liked his generic superathletic abilities, and I was deeply struck by the cool design of his costume. I loved that (like Wonder Woman in those days) he had superstrength, but not enough to move mountains and he wasn't invulnerable, making him and his adventures far more interesting to me than Superman. In some ways, I think it was the small selection of stories that I could find about him that drew my interest, allowing me to create his story in my own mind, rather than fit my image of him into what had been published. I never did find anything written about him that contradicted my image of him, and he remains my favorite to this day.

I think I first encountered Batman in reruns of the 1966 show, and thought "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" (or that may be a plagiarized paraphrase of my actual thoughts at the time...). I was fascinated by the gizmos and gimmicks and outlandish menaces. Then I began reading the 1969-1970 Batman (to me, he lived in a penthouse, and the manor turned up only in reprints), and I was fascinated by how gritty and intense it was. From that point on, the O'Neill/Adams interpretation was ever-after my Batman.

But even more than Batman, I was impressed by Robin. Here was a guy doing all the stuff Batman was, without having to be so dour about it. His Teen Titans seemed to be his friends, rather than Batman's JL colleagues, and Robin seemed firmly in charge of the group in comparison to Batman's merely equal (back in those days) seat at the JL table. When there was a budgetary constraint, I was going to opt for a title that had Robin in it, over one with Batman alone.

"Grid? LOL he's just Swayzak"

and then Injustice 2 came along and introduced me to who is now my favorite DC villain of all time. although LEGO Grid's voice is way better.

"Lobo? Like UNM Lob-"
    *reads him gut Santa Claus*
    "Holy crap!"

"Batman: Under The Red Hood? Well, let's see what this is about..."
    *watches in amazement at the simple, yet complex story unfolding*
    This guy is AWESOME!

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Wally West's Flash in Justice League Unlimited. I tuned in for Superman (boyscout/faster than a speeding bullet...), but then this character who I had a vague memory of from Super Friends showed up. Socially awkward, optimistic, humorous, giving, best-looking-costume, FAST! Humorous! Did I say humorous? Yes! Instantly became my favorite character over Superman (a near thing.) Then found out about actual comics still being in existence (thank you, fellow fanfic writers) and got my hands on Terminal Velocity trade. Wally had red hair and green eyes! And a decent romance! And wow, he was still a bit of a jerk and social awkward, but still with a wicked self-deprecating wit and a strong protective streak. Strong liking turned into infatuation. Best yet-- his character grew with each trade I read. He got more awesome in my eyes. He's been my favorite comic book character ever since.

Sorry, Superman.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Green Lantern - "Ha that lame from the Superfriends oh please Big Bird could kick his ass oh wait actually this series is pretty cool. I like this John Stewart guy and Kyle's pretty cool."
    Superman - "Did he just reverse time by flying? AWESOME!"
    Batman - "I like this game but damnit it's too hard. Why are NES games so cheap and unfair? Cool movie though."
    Kon-El - "Sweet jacket. I think I like him more than Superman."
    Static - "Cool wish I'd known about his comic when I was younger"
    Parallax - "Oh man it's like they combined Jedah with Dio Brando and then dropped the ball. Oh well there's always fanfic."
    Lobo - "Ha ha he's trying to kill Santa that's crazy!"
    Vixen - "Hmm not every day you see a superhero from Africa. Cool."

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Batman - Like lots of old farts, watched the TV show reruns as a kid. Same Bat time! Same Bat channel!

Start High School and get handed the issues of Dark Knight Returns. Holy crap!! Batman is a mean bastard!!

I was hooked on Batman again. (And stayed that way up until the mid 2000s.)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

GREEN LANTERN (Hal on "Superfriends"): Who's this guy? He seems as powerful as Superman, but he's not as famous, but he should be. He looks awesome - green and black are a very cool combination.

WILDFIRE: Did that guy just fly out of his costume?! He seems really powerful, but it's weird that he has no real body and his costume just slumps to the ground.