Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Default What is your first impression about your favorite character(s)?

Well, The thing is: I first reading GL's comics was Geoff's run and really liked the characterization of his Hal.

But when I become a hal fan and trying to read more about his comics, Find out Hal's characterization(Geoff) has big difference from his previous characterization, For example: Geoff's Hal always question the authority and Sinestro really impressed by Hal this trait, But before Geoff, Hal has been portrayed respect the authority and Sinestro not really likes or respects Hal like Geoff's version

So I wondering What is your first impression about your favorite character(s)? Sometimes I think it is really interesting a character could have different characterizations in different writers.( Though sometimes, When a bad writer portraying the character you liked, It will really make you want to drop the comic)
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

"Why is Cyborg mad he has cybernetics? This isn't what TTG told me when they introduced me to him..."
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Extraordinary Member

Superboy, glimpsed as a toy in a commercial for the Death of Superman line: “WOW! He has a leather jacket! That makes him cool!

Tim Drake, first summarized as a profile rundown on the internet about the Robins: “Huh, a nerd Robin who’s good at his job. Cool.”

Guy Gardner, name only glimpsed occasionally in letter columns of back issues bought from antique stores: “I don’t know who this Guy person is, but they sound like a hell-raiser.” (Not Hellraiser, just hell-raiser.)

Cassandra Cain, glimpsed somewhere on internet page breaking down all Batfamily members: “...That is one scary-ass Batgirl costume.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

I knee-jerk react adversely to characters that seem like reverse-gendered clones of popular established heroes. Bat-ladies, Super-chicklets, 'she' Hulks, Spider-femmes.

About half the time, I eat that tasty crow and end up liking the She-Hulk better than the He-Hulk, or the Rose Wilson / Ravager better than the disappointing Mary Sue that Deathstroke has turned into since his heyday in the '80s.

With Rose, it went one step further into instant dislike, since my first introduction to her was reading about her online, with a panel that showed Wintergreen noting that she looked 'just like a younger Slade' with the 'white hair' and all, and remembering quite clearly that Slade had been *blonde* as a younger man (when he first met Wintergreen, in fact!), and only had white hair *because he was old.* I was pissy about that writer's fail, and that she only had one eye (implying that losing your eye after your wife shoots you in the head is apparently something you can pass on to your kids...) which, at the time, I didn't know that there was a story reason for.

And then she showed up in the Teen Titans and was kind of an awesome character. So I was happy to be wrong about that.

There've been a few characters I didn't like at first blush, but grew to love. Vixen struck me as just another replacement Detroit League loser, at first, but became my favorite Leaguer, up there with more classic members like Black Canary. Booster Gold seemed like a vainglorious twit, like the most annoying jock in high school won the lottery and got to be a superhero (and to be fair, he kind of was!), but has since grown into a much more interesting character, and one of my favorites. Robin, from the old Superfriends days. Yikes. How I loathed Batman's colorful circus-acrobat child-sidekick, and now Dick Grayson / Nightwing as an adult is one my favorite DC heroes. How time (and puberty) changes thing!

Empty is thy hand!

I really disliked Huntress at first but grew to appreciate her unique position and character.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I used to hate Cyborg because of TTG. Wow have times changed...

"Batgirl is awesome. She rides a motorcycle and listens to Moloko!"
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who thinks the Superman TAS was better than Batman TAS. I thought the episodes were more consistent, it probably never reached the height of Batman TAS, but it definitely didn't have as many stinkers.

And I thought Bruce Timm made Batman look very powerless in Batman TAS (not Justice League), he was getting beat up by everyone.