Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why so much negativity about WW84?

I read comments in this forum. And i can't understand why some people talk about this film as if it was a disaster. When the film isn't even out and won't be until next year.

I read comments saying that Diana will be weak, or that there won't be action. And i don't understand where all this negativity is coming from. Comments about the film from a test screening are positive. And nothing there suggests that there won't be action or feats. I do agree that the first film could have done a better job with action scenes. And i do want better action and feats in the sequel. But i don't think we should assume bad things about a film we haven't even watched. I'd like for us fans to avoid falling into a hole of negativity. Can we please wait to see the film before we judge, and just hope for the best until the film is released?

I really wouldn't worry to much about that. Most normal people are excited for the film.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I really wouldn't worry to much about that. Most normal people are excited for the film.
    Well said. I concur.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

The movie is gonna be great spy romance movie.

Some people think WW should be a Greek fantasy spectacle like Clash of the titans probably they sadly read the WW comics instead of watching WW TV show. Those people expecting her to superman or Thor level or wanting her to fly will be disappointed

This movie is gonna do very well in US and will be liked by domestic Audience
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 06-23-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Because a bunch of posters here have developed an extremely narrow view of what a good Wonder Woman is, have developed a thin skin due to a history of DC publishing far too many bad Wonder Woman stories, and are constantly reinforcing each other with complaints and rumours.

I'm even afraid that for some of them, their entire view of what Wonder Woman fandom is about has become so distorted that they cannot recognise a good Wonder Woman story anymore.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Because a bunch of posters here have developed an extremely narrow view of what a good Wonder Woman is, have developed a thin skin due to a history of DC publishing far too many bad Wonder Woman stories, and are constantly reinforcing each other with complaints and rumours.

I'm even afraid that for some of them, their entire view of what Wonder Woman fandom is about has become so distorted that they cannot recognise a good Wonder Woman story anymore.
    Except Marston WW regularly performed High end feats like Superman and was also a genius. That is where the narrow view of good WW comes from.

DC then nerfed that WW and even took her powers completely not to mention new 52 which was all out attack on WW mythos Even Perez who had very good intentions managed to affect WW badly by taking away technology from Amazons and Steve Trevor

With so many origins, power level, personality, lovers, every WW fan has their narrow view of their good WW unlike Batman or Superman.

Also the movie version of WW is gonna permanently effect WW in all media and general public image

All it takes is one trailer to know who is right and its gonna drop in December
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 06-23-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Don't forget the perpetual fretting about her origin/birth.

All these are reasons I don't routinely check these message boards like I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland789 View Post
    I read comments in this forum. And i can't understand why some people talk about this film as if it was a disaster. When the film isn't even out and won't be until next year.

I read comments saying that Diana will be weak, or that there won't be action. And i don't understand where all this negativity is coming from. Comments about the film from a test screening are positive. And nothing there suggests that there won't be action or feats. I do agree that the first film could have done a better job with action scenes. And i do want better action and feats in the sequel. But i don't think we should assume bad things about a film we haven't even watched. I'd like for us fans to avoid falling into a hole of negativity. Can we please wait to see the film before we judge, and just hope for the best until the film is released?
    I think the vast majority of people are simply not commenting because there hasn't been much to comment on. We haven't even seen Cheetah, there have only been rumors of the plot, we don't know the level of CGI, we don't even know the film's budget.

It has been my experience in 30 years of message boards that there will always be a vocal minority in any fandom, fictional or otherwise, who will spam their negativity everywhere. As actual clips, trailers, photos and news become available, the rest of the folks will start to speak out

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    The movie is gonna be great spy romance movie.

Some people think WW should be a Greek fantasy spectacle like Clash of the titans probably they sadly read the WW comics instead of watching WW TV show. Those people expecting her to superman or Thor level or wanting her to fly will be disappointed

This movie is gonna do very well in US and will be liked by domestic Audience
    The first film did well overseas. If the sequel has improved compared to the first. It can do even better.

I do want her to be portrayed as a very powerful character. Something that has been lacking in many current comics. But i don't think we should be saying bad things about a film, when we know almost nothing about it. Let's be a little bit more positive. I think Patty truly cares for the character of Wonder Woman, and will try her best to do her justice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I think the vast majority of people are simply not commenting because there hasn't been much to comment on. We haven't even seen Cheetah, there have only been rumors of the plot, we don't know the level of CGI, we don't even know the film's budget.

It has been my experience in 30 years of message boards that there will always be a vocal minority in any fandom, fictional or otherwise, who will spam their negativity everywhere. As actual clips, trailers, photos and news become available, the rest of the folks will start to speak out
    I agree that she hasn't been treated as well as other big names at times. I can see why many are disappointed with power levels. That's one of the things i don't like about Rebirth. Diana doesn't feel as powerful as she should. But it is not a good idea to assume that a film that won't be out until next year, won't have action or feats or say Diana will be weak, with no palpable evidence to back it up. It creates a negative environment for no reason one year prior to the film. I just want us to be more positive about this film. I trust Patty.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland789 View Post
    The first film did well overseas. If the sequel has improved compared to the first. It can do even better.

I do want her to be portrayed as a very powerful character. Something that has been lacking in many current comics. But i don't think we should be saying bad things about a film, when we know almost nothing about it. Let's be a little bit more positive. I think Patty truly cares for the character of Wonder Woman, and will try her best to do her justice.
    Not that well internationally.compared to other superheroes. If the movie has epic CGI battles, it will easily will pass 1 billion. It has very weak completion next summer compared to first movie

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I have a good feeling about WW84, I’m super pumped about Kristen Wiig’s Cheetah, I’m thrilled about Steve returning and I love Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman to bits so there’s a lot to look forward to

I’m just a little bit concerned about the things I’m hearing through the grapevine, namely that Maxwell Lord was retrofitted with the power to grant wishes in order to basically wish the Snyderverse away, and that the movie had to be retooled to accommodate a reboot hence why they pushed back the release date

BANNED

Not that well internationally.compared to other superheroes. If the movie has epic CGI battles, it will easily will pass 1 billion. It has very weak completion next summer compared to first movie
    The first film did well internationally.

Now the sequel will have a bigger budget. So they can do more with the sequel. Let's wait and see. There is no point in being negative about a film that won't be released until next year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I have a good feeling about WW84, I’m super pumped about Kristen Wiig’s Cheetah, I’m thrilled about Steve returning and I love Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman to bits so there’s a lot to look forward to

I’m just a little bit concerned about the things I’m hearing through the grapevine, namely that Maxwell Lord was retrofitted with the power to grant wishes in order to basically wish the Snyderverse away, and that the movie had to be retooled to accommodate a reboot hence why they pushed back the release date
    They aren't making a reboot, but i'm glad that they will ignore things like the jl movie. And Patty said she always wanted the film to be release in summer 2020.
    Last edited by wonderland789; 06-23-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Yep. As usual, it's a vocal minority being loud on the internet.

The movie's success or failure will not be impacted by them either way. All that matters is that the general audience, critics and most of the fans are satisfied with it.

Except Marston WW regularly performed High end feats like Superman and was also a genius. That is where the narrow view of good WW comes from.

DC then nerfed that WW and even took her powers completely not to mention new 52 which was all out attack on WW mythos Even Perez who had very good intentions managed to affect WW badly by taking away technology from Amazons and Steve Trevor

With so many origins, power level, personality, lovers, every WW fan has their narrow view of their good WW unlike Batman or Superman.

Also the movie version of WW is gonna permanently effect WW in all media and general public image

All it takes is one trailer to know who is right and its gonna drop in December
    You're reinforcing Kjn's point. Marston's take may be one of the best (God knows he's my overall favorite), but the character does not belong to just him anymore and hasn't for a long ass time. Time to move on somewhat.

And there is plenty of divide in the Bat and Super fandoms with fans having narrow views of what works and what doesn't. A casual glance at the Superman boards will show that there isa lot of common ground with the Wonder Woman fandom.

Great epic CGI action will be great if done well, but it isn't the be all end all of what makes a good movie. More often than not, it just leads to dumb popcorn fluff. Clash of the Titans was an awful movie, and I would like WW84 to aim higher than that. If we have to lose a bit of spectacle, it would be worth it to not end up like that trash.