Default dr strange vs thanos

Would the titen fight in IW be different if dr strange had the elder wand From Harry Potter? Or would it be useless to him?

Useless to him

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Pretty useless indeed, for 2 reasons:

1. HP magic, even theoretically-boosted Elder Wand magic, isn't something beyond what Strange can do without sticks already.

2. Strange is NOT an HP Verse wizard, so he wouldn't be able to use the thing anyway.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    2. Strange is NOT an HP Verse wizard, so he wouldn't be able to use the thing anyway.
    How do you figure that?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    How do you figure that?
    The magic in Harry Potter, and the magic in Marvel are different things entirely. There's no reason why Strange would be able to use the Elder Wand simply for that reason.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The magic in Harry Potter, and the magic in Marvel are different things entirely. There's no reason why Strange would be able to use the Elder Wand simply for that reason.
    Yeah, HP magic is genetic like mutant powers. Not something anyone can learn like MCU magic.

Plus, the wand chooses the wizard. If Strange didn't obtain the wand by the wand's "liking" by defeating the previous wielder in some way, it would likely rebel against him making it less than useless to him.

Just because it's a different kinda magic doesn't mean he can't use it just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    Plus, the wand chooses the wizard. If Strange didn't obtain the wand by the wand's "liking" by defeating the previous wielder in some way, it would likely rebel against him making it less than useless to him.
    For the thread let's say he has full control over it.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Just because it's a different kinda magic doesn't mean he can't use it just my opinion.
    It's specifically a thing in the HP verse that Wizards are wizards and Muggles are muggles. It's quite clearly a genetic thing by how it's presented, likely some kind of multiple alele single recessive trait. This is why a wizard family can have a "squib", meaning a non-magical offspring, and that person isn't a wizard and can't do magic but can see certain magical things.

Short version, you put a wand in a muggle's hand, and it's not doing anything at all.

So the stick would just be a stick to Strange.

But the other point is still very valid as well: there is nothing we ever see a HP wand do that Strange can't do bigger and better on his own, except MAYBE for transfiguration. And the guy Strange is against here is simply better equipped in that realm than even someone like Dumbledore, much less Strange, at that kind of thing.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

even thought strange is a wizard by MCU standards, he's still technically a muggle by HP standards, since he wasn't born with the gift of magic and only gain his powers through study and training.

and even if he could use it, the wand wouldn't really help him out in any way that would help him beat thanos. especially since most, if not all of strange's magic is non-verbal and there are only a handful of HP wizards and witches who can use non-verbal magic at a high level.