Thread: Wibble

Fantastic Member

Default Wibble

As anyone else got stories about trying to explain your passion, characters & storylines to non-comic fans. Tell my friend and it goes totally over his head. States 'Wibble.' A running joke now, try to explain something and he states he's been 'Wibbled.' No d you being into his 'heavy metal' he loved the image of 'Dark Nights: Metal.' Mind you' explaining the Dark Multiverse had him 'wibbled' all over again!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I tend not to bother most of the time. You either 'get' comics or you don't. The nearest that I can say in that regard is that I've occasionally pointed out to people that comics are similar to the story telling and world building elements that the MCU has so brilliantly (and frustratingly) pulled off over the last decade, only on an even bigger scale. The result? Blank looks.

I sincerely hope your friend picked up the word 'wibble' from this:

BANNED

Yeah, I don't bother explaining my passions to other people unless they really ask me about them, or I know they are already interested in them, because I figure they wouldn't understand them or wouldn't care.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

My mom only knows DC from the Super Friends and the movies she's seen. She's never read the comics.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Only if they ask, which is never. They understand that comic book is mainstream. Now, Harry Potter, I've been asked because they view it as kids stuff, which, despite being mainstream as well, it's still viewed as kids stuff.

BANNED

Whenever someone mentions Robin my instinct is to ask "which one?" and I almost always get quisacle looks.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    My mom only knows DC from the Super Friends and the movies she's seen. She's never read the comics.
    Lucky.
    I bought a t-shirt years go featuring the Flash running on water. Mom thought it was the devil. THAT was an interesting conversation that went nowhere fast.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)