Default Lar Gand to the Titans?

No, nothing like this is actually happening.

It's just an idea I'm throwing out into the aether.

The Legion just doesn't seem like it has much staying power, and it never reached the heights of the Titans once did.

And yeah, supposedly, the Legion is coming back, but who knows if that's going to stick.

I want Mon-El to be way more relevant to the DCU than he currently is. I view him as the potentially closest (but nowhere near perfect) Superverse equivalent to Dick Grayson.

I know, I know: Lar Gand is Lar Gand, and Dick Grayson is Dick Grayson.

But I have no faith that the Legion is ever going to be a successful franchise in this day and age.

But the Titans can be, and actually in some ways, already are (*cough*TeenTitansGo!*cough*).

Anyway, I'm fairly sure this idea will never come to pass.

But Lar and Dick were once (briefly) teammates as replacements for Clark and Bruce on a Justice League.

I'd be interested in seeing Lar getting a run on the Titans with Dick and Donna.

Anyone else? Or is this just too outside-the-box?

Well, I disagree somewhat about the Legion. I think the concept is sound and viable, DC just has to find the right pathway to get there. And that pathway probably isn't the direct market, but I think a group of superhuman kids in the future would have tons of appeal in the YA markets.

But anyway!

I actually kinda love the idea of Lar coming back to the present day and joining a new group of Titans. I have no interest in seeing yet another NTT reunion though. You wanna talk about doomed to fail? And while we don't yet know exactly how old the Legion will be when they return, usually they're supposed to be teens, which means Lar would probably fit into a roster with Tim and Cassie more than Dick and Donna, who're mid-20's.

But putting Valor on the Titans is exactly the kind of out-of-the-box thinking I believe the IP needs. As much as everyone wants to see more of the NTT/Fab5, it never ends up working and is just horrible, and it holds all those characters back and prevents them from growing and developing (the exact thing that made Wolfman's run so popular in the first place!). But using some new faces like Valor (or Firestorm, Vibe, Kyle Rayner, Atom Smasher, etc)? That could help the franchise find a success it hasn't seen in decades.

Speaking of which, both the Legion and the Titans are IP's that aren't terribly impressive anymore that used to be at the top of the charts a generation or two ago. So as far as "spotlight" goes, I feel like this would be a fairly lateral move; Lar going from one "best days are behind them" team to another. But the fresh perspective and direction and roster might be the shot in the arm the Titans need.

I'm all for it!

But call him Valor, because Mon-El is the worst superhero name in comics. Even Strong Guy has a better moniker.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Here's a thought for once this Ric Grayson crap is over.

Worlds' Finest starring Nightwing and Mon-El. I think a few arcs on the main earth, then give them their own Excalibur style Crosstime Caper where we get a little multiverse exploration. Re-introduce a lot of classic universes, including a stopover with Captain Carrot and the gang. The overall tone would be fun and hopeful, not dark and angsty. Dick would be the lighter of the two characters, with some wise cracking as a callback to his days as Robin, while Mon-El would be the more serious one. But not too serious. It would not be even close to the Silver Age Camp tone, but it wouldn't be even remotely grimdark. When I say multiverse, I'm not limiting it to the modern multiverse and dark multiverse. Any past universe would be available, and hypertime a factor.

The end of it could position Dick to resume his role as the result of learning from Batman and Superman. Mon-El would end up with the Legion and having romantic sparks at first sight with Shadow Lass. He'd be a bit lighter than he's been in the past, but still the serious minded Mon-El we love.

Great responses!

Also, if Teenage Jon (blerg!) is soon to be shipped off to the Legion, having two young Superman analogues on the same team may be redundant.

And isn't Lar technically from OUR time period anyway? Why not bring him back here?

I'd love to have a young Daxamite on the Titans (tho I would gladly accept Kara Zor- El as a good option for the Titans as well).

Jon and Lar being on the Legion together is definitely power overlap, but I dont think the "limited power overlap" rule on teams apply to the Legion. There's dozens of those guys, and you've got Lar/Valor as well as Ultra Boy and sometimes a Superboy or Supergirl, plus whoever else I'm forgetting who have the basic "flying brick" powerset.

I think Lar and Jon on the Legion would work fine, and I do like the quasi-religious air around Valor in post-Crisis (was that a pre-Crisis thing too? Not enough of a Legion fan to know). But I'd definitely be more than okay with Valor being back in his own era. Always wanted to see him in the present more, ever since I discovered the character after that big Eclipso story years and years back. If I could I'd have Valor enjoy a solid career in the present day, then "in the near future" get trapped in the Zone again until he's saved by the Legion in the 31st (32nd now?) century. That way you could have both.

I like the parallel to Nightwing you mentioned, though I think Conner might be a better fit for that kind of role at this point.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-23-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I disagree somewhat about the Legion. I think the concept is sound and viable, DC just has to find the right pathway to get there. And that pathway probably isn't the direct market, but I think a group of superhuman kids in the future would have tons of appeal in the YA markets.
    The Legion would be perfect for their Zoom and Ink lines, never mind a Legion of Superheroes cartoon in the style of Young Justice would be awesome.