Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Well this thread turned out exactly as I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Is anyone arguing they reflect their source material? Cuz you argued Aquaman was a reflection of his source material. I'm no Aquaman expert, but that seems like a claim with no basis in reality.

Likewise, the first person who comes in here and says Endgame Thor was a reflection of source material should also get called out. Just haven't seen that person yet. Your claim deserved to be called out.

And, to the broader point, who cares how close they are to source material? Be true to what resonates with fans. Canon is simply not possible on screen and shouldn't be tried.
    You mean besides the fans who keep screaming about how DC/WB don't "get" these characters? The only reason the source material argument gets brought up at all is because of people using it to dump on the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    GotG 2.5 is the best film of Thor series. They found something that worked for MCU Thor and sticking with it. It wiped the bad taste that the Dark World left in my mouth.
    I understand that the film has actual fans (as opposed to some MCU flicks that are essentially, fanless) and I'm not saying its a bad film, but Ragnorok is so divergent from the source material it borders on parity. With exception to like a Mad Magazine parody, no ever quips when Krypton is destroyed, but they do in that film for Asgard.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You mean besides the fans who keep screaming about how DC/WB don't "get" these characters? The only reason the source material argument gets brought up at all is because of people using it to dump on the DCEU.
    There is a difference between getting the character right and staying true to the source material. People don't complain the DCEU get the Source Material wrong they complain they get the characters wrong while source material is a term usually more associated with storylines.

BANNED

Are those fans in the narrow range of comic-bookdem or general audiences? If the former....who cares? That group is too small to be significant. If the latter, then it matters, but that isn't the complaint I've heard about their failed movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I know this might come as a shock to you, but people do actually like BvS. I don't obviously like MCU, but I don't go around pretending people don't like those films (I will however argue, they don't love them).
    I didn't know that you knew that I didn't actually love something that I really thought I loved.

MY LIFE IS A LIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There is a difference between getting the character right and staying true to the source material. People don't complain the DCEU get the Source Material wrong they complain they get the characters wrong while source material is a term usually more associated with storylines.
    Not for people who dislike the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Are those fans in the narrow range of comic-bookdem or general audiences? If the former....who cares? That group is too small to be significant. If the latter, then it matters, but that isn't the complaint I've heard about their failed movies.
    It's a complaint that has been dogging the films since MoS and can be found everywhere. io9, screen rant, the mary sue. Just about anyone who's criticized these films has said such.

BANNED

Not for people who dislike the DCEU. It's a complaint that has been dogging the films since MoS and can be found everywhere. io9, screen rant, the mary sue. Just about anyone who's criticized these films has said such.
    A cursory scan of the reviews of BvS make little mention of that. Most of the complaints are about the narrative. (I found that article pretty reflective) I know the "Kill or Not Kill" thing has been an issue for people, but I'm not sure that really counts. I would bet most of those "don't get their character" arguments were in the aftermath of those movies flopping and people trying to make sense of why. At that point people are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. You see some X-fans doing that now with the bomb that was Dark Phoenix.

I'm not sure that's reflective of why the general audience turned on those movies. They just weren't very good. Hell, you can't even get Ben Affleck to mount much of a defense for them.

For me personally, I could care less about the source material. I may point to it as a better way to do something if the story is wrong, but in and of itself a diversion from source material is not a bad thing. As someone said earlier, the movies create their own canon and we have to be willing to lose ourselves in that a bit. That's hard as a comic book fan (I struggled as primarily an X-fan to both love X2 and hate what they reduced Storm/Cyke/Jean/etc down to), but nevertheless necessary.

Not for people who dislike the DCEU.

It's a complaint that has been dogging the films since MoS and can be found everywhere. io9, screen rant, the mary sue. Just about anyone who's criticized these films has said such.
    Until recently Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam I loved all 3 but before them my opinion of the DCEU is meh to bad but what I mean by character vs source material is probably best on display in this scene. MCU Peter's journey as Spider-Man is vastly different than comic book Peter due to the influence MCU Tony Stark has on him but this scene is Spider-Man IMO

So while the journey is different the character is the same and to me that's more important than if the storylines match their comic book counterpart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    For me, it's just the opposite. I'm also more of a DC Comics fan than Marvel, so because I have less interest in their characters and universe, Marvel has to go the extra mile to wow me.

That's why I've not really been wowed by Marvel movies. They're fine and enjoyable as disposable popcorn entertainment, but I don't really sit and ponder them the way I would a DC movie. The only way I really deep-think about a Marvel movie is to pick apart all the logical inconsistencies and annoying quippy dialogue that grates on me, whereas in a DC movie, I might be more inclined to let those things slide.

Even the much-vaunted Infinity War 2-parter (IW and Endgame) would have meant more to me if the exact same storyline were happening to the DC characters.
    I agree. Marvel movies are fun but they are 100% "shut off your brain" movies so I have to be in the right mood. I haven't found anything intellectually rewarding from any of them. DC on the other hand has wowed me numerous times. Maybe some of them for only brief moments but all in all I have walked away with far more lasting impressions than I have from the MCU. The MCU movies are like "serials" that don't really matter but if you're bored one day and want 2+ hours of entertainment and explosions they're perfect.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I agree. Marvel movies are fun but they are 100% "shut off your brain" movies so I have to be in the right mood. I haven't found anything intellectually rewarding from any of them. DC on the other hand has wowed me numerous times. Maybe some of them for only brief moments but all in all I have walked away with far more lasting impressions than I have from the MCU. The MCU movies are like "serials" that don't really matter but if you're bored one day and want 2+ hours of entertainment and explosions they're perfect.
    Can you give an example of a recent DC movie that wowed you intellectually and how it did it? I’m thinking about the most successful recent films, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, BVS and Suicide Squad, and don’t see it. I don’t see it in the less successful ones, either, so your comment makes me curious.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Can you give an example of a recent DC movie that wowed you intellectually and how it did it? I’m thinking about the most successful recent films, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, BVS and Suicide Squad, and don’t see it. I don’t see it in the less successful ones, either, so your comment makes me curious.
    I was really impressed with BvS and the moral questions it posed, the fleshing out of each character through unique dialogue and visual cues (the scene where Bruce wakes up in his lake house struck me the most, everything in that scene paints the perfect picture of a damaged Bruce Wayne) . There were so many different plot threads and visual moments that made the most sense when the film was finished and the arc of both characters was fully explored. I appreciate it so much as a stand-alone film, since we never got to really see its true follow up.

In Aquaman I loved it as a truly family-friendly superhero film. The ties to family are so strong and Arthur isn't dealing with tragedy, he's dealing with loneliness and not being able to fit in. In that scene at the bar Arthur is at first super standoffish to those guys who approach him to take a selfie, but ends up getting drunk with them, and yes that was a comedic scene but it showed a lot of insight into Arthur's character, he doesn't actually want to be a loner. He's rejected by one world and feels alone in another, I feel that the movie illustrated these feelings beautifully. I also LOVED that Arthur practiced forgiveness towards Orm in the end, the family theme reached its peak with that scene. Arthur identifies with Orm as almost his reverse-equivalent. The scene gives me chills even now, and it made me wish more action/adventure movies had the heroes forgiving and sparing the villain in the end.

I didn't really care for Shazam (although there were parts I liked) and it's been a little bit since I saw the other ones so if you'd like more examples I'd have to take a little time to attempt to write up some more thoughts for you. MoS and BvS I've watched several times and always come back with greater appreciation and understanding. I don't feel that any of the other DC films have lived up to those two, but I found quality moments in all. Sorry that you did not.

I think both put out movies that got real old for me real quick. I already moved on past Marvel movies, but because I haven't seen too many DC movies, I still have some interest in them, not to mention they plan to put out more interesting movies than the same old stuff from Marvel Studios.

Niffleheim

I can't stand Stark, Rogers and The Avengers in the comicbook so yeah My expectations for MCU movies was always low but I only started watching them when Thanos was teasesd at the end of Avengers. They have made over 20 movies and the ones I truly love are less than 5. The only characters I love from DC is Batman but WB cast an actor who can only evoke eye rolls from me and I've always found his acting abilities lacking In a sense I'm glad there wasn't solo Batman movies (the pain of having to watch Batfleck would've been unbearable).

I've skipped Homecoming, Venom, Shazam, Captain Marvel and the upcoming Far From Home and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The rest of the D.C. slate are nonentities to me except if Batman is involved.
    Last edited by Tofali; 06-26-2019 at 01:27 AM.

I'm a far bigger DC fan. I don't really care about Marvel so I tend to ignore it for the most part. And yes, I care about DC because it's my childhood, especially Superman, and I tend to be more critical of it when it's not done well in my opinion. And I also enjoy it so much more when I find it done well.

I also criticize Marvel, but since I'm not invested in that universe, I don't really care what happens to it like I do DC.