Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Are you more critical of DC or Marvel films?

I'm more critical of dc films because:

1) I'm a DC fan and know more about their characters than most marvel characters outside of x-men and spiderman. For better or worse this makes me critical of movies because I hate seeing characters that I like taken out of character to the point that they are unrecognizable (ie. Superman that kills in a non-injustice storyline or batman that kills and uses guns)

2) I've seen good-excellent DC films and TV shows from Christopher Reeves Superman, Tim Burton's Batman, Nolan's Batman, Wonder woman TV show, and the full arrowverse. So the bar has been set and it's high.

Not saying I'm not critical of marvel films because I am harder on spiderman and will be hard on any wolverine remake (Hugh Jackman nailed that role). But honestly most marvel films I go into I have little to no expectation because of no prior investment in their characters.

How about you, which brand are you more critical of and why?

For me, it's just the opposite. I'm also more of a DC Comics fan than Marvel, so because I have less interest in their characters and universe, Marvel has to go the extra mile to wow me.

That's why I've not really been wowed by Marvel movies. They're fine and enjoyable as disposable popcorn entertainment, but I don't really sit and ponder them the way I would a DC movie. The only way I really deep-think about a Marvel movie is to pick apart all the logical inconsistencies and annoying quippy dialogue that grates on me, whereas in a DC movie, I might be more inclined to let those things slide.

Even the much-vaunted Infinity War 2-parter (IW and Endgame) would have meant more to me if the exact same storyline were happening to the DC characters.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Probably the DC films. Like yourself it's because I'm predominantly a DC fan.

I've enjoyed the hell out of the MCU. Part of the reason for that is not having any comic book source material to compare the series to. I haven't read a Marvel comic since the mid 1990's. That's not the case with DC at all.

Thing is, I'm quite open minded about the DCEU too. At least part of that is because, although they are certainly important, the movies mean a lot less to me than the comics themselves do.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm more critical of DC because they know better. They can make a good Superman movie, they're simply choosing not to. Marvel has a pretty decent formula that works for them. They're not trying to re-invent the wheel or anything which I feel that DC has been trying to do in recent years.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm more critical of DC because they know better. They can make a good Superman movie, they're simply choosing not to. Marvel has a pretty decent formula that works for them. They're not trying to re-invent the wheel or anything which I feel that DC has been trying to do in recent years.
    I used to get so mad at DC because they were always trying to re-invent the wheel but now I'm actually okay with the high risk approach that they take now. Like you said Marvel has a formula that works for them now but it's not necessarily something new and it's not going to work forever. I've already seen and heard die hard fans of their movies grow tired of the same type of storyline development(Captain Marvel comes to mind). However with DC we get some horrendous films but also some groundbreaking great films that redefines the genre itself. Also, Marvel and DC built their structures differently so what works for Marvel will not always work for DC and vice versa. While Marvel can pull off humorously fun films because most of their characters have the versatility to go in that direction but DC is the opposite where most of their characters have the versatility to go in a more dramatic/thriller type direction. Let's face it if DC made films using Marvel's formula we'd get films like Batman & Robin non-stop which would make everyone roll their eyes.

Boisterously Confused

I'm more critical of DC films because since The Dark Knight Rises on, I feel they have given me more grist of which to be critical.

I will say that I have become more critical of Marvel since AoU on, because it felt to me as tho they were drifting too far away from their source material, sometimes making characters inspired by the source rather than faithful to the source. However, I have to admit that I found IW/Endgame an absolutely brilliant wrap-up to the franchise so far.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    For me, it's just the opposite. I'm also more of a DC Comics fan than Marvel, so because I have less interest in their characters and universe, Marvel has to go the extra mile to wow me.

That's why I've not really been wowed by Marvel movies. They're fine and enjoyable as disposable popcorn entertainment, but I don't really sit and ponder them the way I would a DC movie. The only way I really deep-think about a Marvel movie is to pick apart all the logical inconsistencies and annoying quippy dialogue that grates on me, whereas in a DC movie, I might be more inclined to let those things slide.

Even the much-vaunted Infinity War 2-parter (IW and Endgame) would have meant more to me if the exact same storyline were happening to the DC characters.
    I enjoy MCU films too but I always find logical inconsistencies. Endgame while fun had so many issues, with the worst of them being the time travel piece that they explained and then broke their own rules on.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I used to get so mad at DC because they were always trying to re-invent the wheel but now I'm actually okay with the high risk approach that they take now. Like you said Marvel has a formula that works for them now but it's not necessarily something new and it's not going to work forever. I've already seen and heard die hard fans of their movies grow tired of the same type of storyline development(Captain Marvel comes to mind). However with DC we get some horrendous films but also some groundbreaking great films that redefines the genre itself. Also, Marvel and DC built their structures differently so what works for Marvel will not always work for DC and vice versa. While Marvel can pull off humorously fun films because most of their characters have the versatility to go in that direction but DC is the opposite where most of their characters have the versatility to go in a more dramatic/thriller type direction. Let's face it if DC made films using Marvel's formula we'd get films like Batman & Robin non-stop which would make everyone roll their eyes.
    I'm actually looking forward to the new Joker movie because it doesn't follow the same old superhero formula. But I don't think that sort of experimental approach works with Superman. When he killed Zod at the end of MOS I walked out of the theater traumatized. Joker is at least supposed to kill people. And, yeah, the Marvel movies can get a little stale. I had to have my arm twisted to get me to see Endgame. I had already seen Captain Marvel just a few weeks earlier and really wasn't in the mood to see a movie I felt obligated to. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. But this "you have to see another movie every month to follow what's going on" thing gets old fast.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

I'm critical of poorly-done movies. I don't care if the logo is Marvel or DC or Dark Horse or whatever.

Thor: Ragnarok and Man of Steel I'm equally critical of because they were crap movies. A lot of people liked them and that's wonderful for them. But the storytelling was just structurally awful and the characterization was so jarring that there was no chance for me to immerse myself in any entertainment value they might provide. They just kept throwing **** in my face and all I could do while sitting through them was get mad.

I'm more critical of DC because they know better. They can make a good Superman movie, they're simply choosing not to.
    I think they used to know how to. But I don't think they actually have known how to for over 20 years.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 06-23-2019 at 02:02 PM.

BANNED

Marvel has a pretty decent formula that works for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Like you said Marvel has a formula that works for them now but it's not necessarily something new and it's not going to work forever.
    I am genuinely curious what you think is distinctive about "the Marvel formula" from every other action/adventure movie since Predator. Or even James Bond.

Ultimate Member

Neither. If I think its good, I'll say so. And if I don't, well I'll say that to. I've gone against the grain a number of times already in this regard.

I'm probably more critical of DC.

When an inspection is done and you find things are good based on what you first see, you tend to not look as hard to find something wrong or you are more forgiving when some things you don't like eventually show up. When there are things you don't like right away, you tend to have a more negative attitude about it.

With Marvel, the lead-off of Iron-Man was great. Incredible Hulk was so-so but the franchise already had good feelings from IM.

Personally, I liked a lot of stuff about Man of Steel and this is not MoS bashing. But it didn't generate the kind of solid positive reactions the MCU did.

I think DC suffers from leading off with a couple of characters everyone knows and has expectations about while the Marvel characters were lesser known quantities.

At this point, DC has done enough good stuff that I am less critical if they do something that isn't what I wanted.
    Power with Girl is better.

Marvel. It seems Marvel will get away with just about anything these days. Whether it's changing a character's race/gender, retconning an origin, who they cast, the large use of comedy, etc. while DC gets a bum rap even if they do all those things which is unfair. I think Marvel is overrated while some fans tend to ignore Fox and Sony's Marvel movies and how half of them are flawed. Dark Phoenix has done so horribly that you would think fans would think twice about trashing on DC as although it's not a Marvel Studios movie, it is from the Marvel side and they're not always perfect.

I never cared about Marvel even half as much as i care for DC so, yeah, i'm way more critical when it comes to movies with characters from this brand.

Most of them movies are a sad mess but ww and shazam gave me some hope.

Astonishing Member

The only "extra" criticism I have with DC is that they have had complete control of their characters under the same publisher and the same company the entire time they have tried to build their movie universe.

And it just seems they cannot get it correct consistently for baffling reasons. They don't have limitations of can't use this character because so and so company owns the rights. Or can't do this great DC story line because so and so company owns it. All their failures and bad decisions in the stories they brought to the big screen are all problems they created.

Bad creative decisions, shoddy writing, studio interference. It's baffling how with all that access and all the history of great character, some of the best villains in all of fiction they find it so hard to bring their universe to life consistently.