Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I find myself more critical of Dc because DC has far more failures than successes. If Marvel messes something up, you can generally overlook it because they've got so much right.

I was more critical of DC when they were trying to force the shared universe in attempt to cash in like Marvel had. The poor decisions were just magnified in a shared universe, pretty much the opposite of the MCU where good will built up over great movies carried over to weaker ones.

However now that DC seems to be focussed on a more self contained format rather than universe building, I find myself less critical and can take each movie as it's own thing rather than a building block for something bigger.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    The only "extra" criticism I have with DC is that they have had complete control of their characters under the same publisher and the same company the entire time they have tried to build their movie universe.

And it just seems they cannot get it correct consistently for baffling reasons. They don't have limitations of can't use this character because so and so company owns the rights. Or can't do this great DC story line because so and so company owns it. All their failures and bad decisions in the stories they brought to the big screen are all problems they created.

Bad creative decisions, shoddy writing, studio interference. It's baffling how with all that access and all the history of great character, some of the best villains in all of fiction they find it so hard to bring their universe to life consistently.
    I'd submit that -for the characters they film - Marvel actually has more control over their characters, they just don't control the whole library. While DC has access to its entire library, their control is diluted by the fact that Warner Brothers (now ATT) drives that boat. So I don't find DC's struggles baffling; they're subject to outside meddling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'd submit that -for the characters they film - Marvel actually has more control over their characters, they just don't control the whole library. While DC has access to its entire library, their control is diluted by the fact that Warner Brothers (now ATT) drives that boat. So I don't find DC's struggles baffling; they're subject to outside meddling.
    That is their fault though. Blame it on the corporate structure, blame it on the suits meddling in creative decisions. They SHOULD not have those problems its the same company, and it always has been. Outside meddling didn't write and pick the terrible creative teams for Green lantern, Suicide Squad, BVS, Justice league did it? Those bad stories were creative decisions. Having Lex act like the Riddler in BVS was creative decision.

The problems with those were the stories themselves and the acting imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Marvel. It seems Marvel will get away with just about anything these days. Whether it's changing a character's race/gender, retconning an origin, who they cast, the large use of comedy, etc. while DC gets a bum rap even if they do all those things which is unfair. I think Marvel is overrated while some fans tend to ignore Fox and Sony's Marvel movies and how half of them are flawed. Dark Phoenix has done so horribly that you would think fans would think twice about trashing on DC as although it's not a Marvel Studios movie, it is from the Marvel side and they're not always perfect.
    Um, you think people ignored how awful the Fox and Sony productions became because they were Marvel?

I don't know how to respond to that other than maybe suggest you look at the dozens of threads bashing these god awful movies? What people love is the Infinity Saga, there is plenty of criticism for the stuff outside that.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I used to get so mad at DC because they were always trying to re-invent the wheel but now I'm actually okay with the high risk approach that they take now. Like you said Marvel has a formula that works for them now but it's not necessarily something new and it's not going to work forever. I've already seen and heard die hard fans of their movies grow tired of the same type of storyline development(Captain Marvel comes to mind). However with DC we get some horrendous films but also some groundbreaking great films that redefines the genre itself. Also, Marvel and DC built their structures differently so what works for Marvel will not always work for DC and vice versa. While Marvel can pull off humorously fun films because most of their characters have the versatility to go in that direction but DC is the opposite where most of their characters have the versatility to go in a more dramatic/thriller type direction. Let's face it if DC made films using Marvel's formula we'd get films like Batman & Robin non-stop which would make everyone roll their eyes.
    It’s interesting that you think “the Marvel formula” would lead to Batman and Robin. I think it led to Aquaman which I find very similar to a Marvel movie. And I’m sure Marvel will have another disappointment like the Hulk, but at this point, predicting that isn’t prescient, it’s playing the odds. They’ve accomplished something unprecedented. Watching everyone else falter and disappoint really shows how amazing their record is.

I’m with the people who are brand agnostic in their like or dislike of a movie. I do feel like DC and Fox fans can play victim too much, like there’s some kind of reason beyond the films for the disappointment, but I think the recent DC movies have deserved whatever praise or criticism they’ve received. I’ve agreed with most of the general responses.

I always try to criticize the MCU more than the DCEU because the MCU is garbage, where as the DCEU is not.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    It’s interesting that you think “the Marvel formula” would lead to Batman and Robin. I think it led to Aquaman which I find very similar to a Marvel movie. And I’m sure Marvel will have another disappointment like the Hulk, but at this point, predicting that isn’t prescient, it’s playing the odds. They’ve accomplished something unprecedented. Watching everyone else falter and disappoint really shows how amazing their record is.

I’m with the people who are brand agnostic in their like or dislike of a movie. I do feel like DC and Fox fans can play victim too much, like there’s some kind of reason beyond the films for the disappointment, but I think the recent DC movies have deserved whatever praise or criticism they’ve received. I’ve agreed with most of the general responses.
    I guess I should have differentiated what I meant. While i think the Marvel Formula can work for some DC characters such as Shazam and Aquaman and I think that has to do because for Shazam it works because the character is supposed to be humorous and fun and for Aquaman it worked because of Jason Momoa's looks and the fact that for the general audience Aquaman was always a joke character because of the super friends era but for the more well known characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, and Flash the formula wouldn't work as well and I think the finished product of any attempt with those type of characters would be a bad film such as Batman and Robin.

I do think it's the same for Marvel though when it comes to the DC formula of dark and gritty movies, they don't do as well there. While Logan was a great movie, they struggle overall when trying to go in that direction. Examples include X3, Spiderman 3, Dark Phoenix, the wolverine, X-Men Apocalypse, & Hulk.

Both companies do well in certain creative areas. Overall what works for one won't always work for the other.

Boisterously Confused

That is their fault though. Blame it on the corporate structure, blame it on the suits meddling in creative decisions. They SHOULD not have those problems its the same company, and it always has been. Outside meddling didn't write and pick the terrible creative teams for Green lantern, Suicide Squad, BVS, Justice league did it? Those bad stories were creative decisions. Having Lex act like the Riddler in BVS was creative decision.

The problems with those were the stories themselves and the acting imo.
    Which "They" are you discussing? WB? DC? AT&T? To this point, all of those have been run as relatively self-contained units.

The DC staff have next to zip control over what goes into the cinematic efforts; it's a WB show, no matter what logos they put on the screen. Marvel had the benefit of setting up their studio, and of establishing a record of success before Disney bought them out, discouraging any topside "help."

So, I say again, Marvel may have had less of their inventory to work with, but they had FAR more control over what to do with them on screen than DC did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Honestly, with how bad Batman vs. Superman was....I think DC got off light. People put a billion dollars into watching Aquaman, which is shocking considering just how awful everything preceding that movie was.

I will say that I think Henry Cavill was a great Superman reduced to being in some mediocre to downright awful movies. He could've been their Chris Evans had the movies been less dreadful.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I'm more critical of DC because they produce worse movies. Since the dark knight trilogy ended the only DC films I enjoyed are Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Even their animated films have started to dip in quality. Marvel hasn't failed me yet.

I hold DC to a higher standard than Marvel because DC has pretty much told dozens upon dozens of stories in film or animation with most of their characters, and I am looking for something new and different. With Marvel this is all pretty new, as they have told stories before but most of them really, really sucked. Plus Marvel is Disney and I know completely what to expect there. For DC, they have a whole lot more flexibility in what kinds of stories they can tell and I hold them to it and want them to be creative and not just do things by the book. To me the DC movies should be more about creativity and I'm disappointed when they go formulaic.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I'm definitely more critical of Marvel movies than DC. Marvel being the company and characters I gravitate towards the most, so they have to meet my lofty expectations.

Not saying I will not criticize DC movies, but in most cases it'll be "it's good" or "it's not so good"
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

The only "extra" criticism I have with DC is that they have had complete control of their characters under the same publisher and the same company the entire time they have tried to build their movie universe.

And it just seems they cannot get it correct consistently for baffling reasons. They don't have limitations of can't use this character because so and so company owns the rights. Or can't do this great DC story line because so and so company owns it. All their failures and bad decisions in the stories they brought to the big screen are all problems they created.

Bad creative decisions, shoddy writing, studio interference. It's baffling how with all that access and all the history of great character, some of the best villains in all of fiction they find it so hard to bring their universe to life consistently.
    These reasons are why I'm more critical of the DC films.

It seems as though no one at DC/Warner Brothers understands the characters, and what their appeal is.

Quote Originally Posted by karatattoo View Post
    These reasons are why I'm more critical of the DC films.

It seems as though no one at DC/Warner Brothers understands the characters, and what their appeal is.
    Your talking point is out of date, people love Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam and those films reflect their source material.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut