Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default How do you complete runs for your collection?

Hi

I was just wondering how do you complete runs in your collection? I tend to buy large lots on Ebay but not complete (Complete runs are outrageous).
    Then to complete these lots is not easy.
    For individual comics on Ebay, shipping will kill you. I have gone to several comic book shops and the selection is very weak, and unfortunately the prices are no better than Ebay (I don't blame them, I know they have to pay the rent and employees.)
    I went to a flea market that had 2 sellers and what a mess it was, comics were thrown in boxes with no organisation and no prices, you don't know what they are going to charge you.

Thxs

Pat

Spectacular Member

personally i have been filling my collections buying from Milehighcomics online. They are super reliable (if a bit slow) and quite often have big sales (60% off at the moment). I have been ordering from them since 1989 (Upward of 2000 issues) and in that time i have been sent 1, yes 1 incorrect issue. And when I emailed them they sent me the correct one immediately. Their website hasn't changed since the mid 90s but hey if it ain't broke don't fix it

In the days when I still bought physical comics, like you sometimes bought large runs on eBay. Any gaps I then tended to complete by buying missing comics from dealers with an internet presence (e.g. my comic shop.com and a couple of UK deals, as I’m a Brit).

On sorts of runs I was primarily interested (e.g. John Ostrander or Peter David long runs) never found prices of individual issues prohibitive.

The way I looked at it was that if I’d picked up 60 issues of John O’s Suicidede Squad for 50 quid, I could afford to pay 20 quid for last 6 issues, and still be paying a lot less per comic than I would for 66 new current year comics. And those last 6 comics made overall reading experience far more enjoyable.

My main criterion has always been reading pleasure...so if some issues were available in trade more cheaply..I never minded completing run that way. When I read Peter David’s Hulk run for example, I read part of run by buying trade collections, and part in “floppies”.

iMan 42s

Typically in trade.

A lot is collected these days and it not only saves some money than buying individual issues, but it also saves space when that in of itself is at a premium between living spaces and the significant other. It's also easier to find and move should I need to. Should a friend want to read an Iron man run or check out Hulk, I can just give them 1 or two books rather than a longbox. And frankly from having two or three longboxes full of content I'm really just content with collecting in trade.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    In the days when I still bought physical comics, like you sometimes bought large runs on eBay. Any gaps I then tended to complete by buying missing comics from dealers with an internet presence (e.g. my comic shop.com and a couple of UK deals, as I’m a Brit).

On sorts of runs I was primarily interested (e.g. John Ostrander or Peter David long runs) never found prices of individual issues prohibitive.

The way I looked at it was that if I’d picked up 60 issues of John O’s Suicidede Squad for 50 quid, I could afford to pay 20 quid for last 6 issues, and still be paying a lot less per comic than I would for 66 new current year comics. And those last 6 comics made overall reading experience far more enjoyable.

My main criterion has always been reading pleasure...so if some issues were available in trade more cheaply..I never minded completing run that way. When I read Peter David’s Hulk run for example, I read part of run by buying trade collections, and part in “floppies”.
    likewise from ole blighty and i still order from MHC in Denver. Definitely worth a look as the postage here from them is pretty reasonable and always come immaculately packaged

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    personally i have been filling my collections buying from Milehighcomics online. They are super reliable (if a bit slow) and quite often have big sales (60% off at the moment). I have been ordering from them since 1989 (Upward of 2000 issues) and in that time i have been sent 1, yes 1 incorrect issue. And when I emailed them they sent me the correct one immediately. Their website hasn't changed since the mid 90s but hey if it ain't broke don't fix it
    Regarding milehighcomics, I have tried to subscribe to their newsletter to no avail. I contacted their customer service and they told me that they had issues with yahoo accounts but that it would get fixed and that they were forwarding my email to tech support.
    It's been 6 weeks and I haven't heard anything from them. So I created an aol email account, subscribed to their newsletter and never received anything there either.
    I could just log onto milehighcomics.com and check for any specials but I just did and don't see the current 60% off.
    Any help is appreciated as it seems MHC is the way to go.

Thxs

Pat

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaindioux View Post
    Regarding milehighcomics, I have tried to subscribe to their newsletter to no avail. I contacted their customer service and they told me that they had issues with yahoo accounts but that it would get fixed and that they were forwarding my email to tech support.
    It's been 6 weeks and I haven't heard anything from them. So I created an aol email account, subscribed to their newsletter and never received anything there either.
    I could just log onto milehighcomics.com and check for any specials but I just did and don't see the current 60% off.
    Any help is appreciated as it seems MHC is the way to go.

Thxs

Pat
    COMIC-CON is the current discount code. Typed as i have. If you place an order they will give you the option of getting the newsletter. I haven't ever made an account on there but it requires that you put in an e-mail address during the final section and then you'll get the newsletters. It is definitely worth it as when they do these sales the bargains are awesome. Any further questions feel free to ask

Amazing Member

Thanks a lot, I will give it a shot.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    likewise from ole blighty and i still order from MHC in Denver. Definitely worth a look as the postage here from them is pretty reasonable and always come immaculately packaged
    At the time that I bought direct from America, Post Office still did special rates for printed paper (comics as well as books), so postage was very low. Sadly ceased some time ago.

I would highly recommend local or semi local comic cons. Tons of dealers and usually good prices/ are willing to haggle to make a deal.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I would highly recommend local or semi local comic cons. Tons of dealers and usually good prices/ are willing to haggle to make a deal.
    That sounds great. Going to one end of July.

Thxs

Pat

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Lately for me it has been transferring everything to digital. I can get entire runs so easily now off the stores from all the publishers and it frees up valuable space.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Lately for me it has been transferring everything to digital. I can get entire runs so easily now off the stores from all the publishers and it frees up valuable space.
    I like to have both digital and physical copies. I read digital on my iphone when on the road. I read digital at home on my PC when I am well awake and I read physical copies in my bed when I just feel like laying down instead of sitting at the PC.

Pat

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I've been slowly converting over. I have a lot of the Fantastic Four Masterworks and Visionaries collections. I have some arcs that are in a TPB, etc. I've bought some digital versions of those that are no longer in print. Eventually I will have to do something about the comics themselve. I moved to a smaller place some years back and I just don't have that much room for them anymore.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaindioux View Post
    I like to have both digital and physical copies. I read digital on my iphone when on the road. I read digital at home on my PC when I am well awake and I read physical copies in my bed when I just feel like laying down instead of sitting at the PC.

Pat
    This is why I adore my iPad Pro, a 12 inch screen with high resolution comics equals beauty.

I used to only get physical books, but I simply couldn't justify the use of space; especially because I know I will be a life long reader so the collection will only get bigger and bigger.

But now with a nearly fully digital collection I can move from device to device effortlessly.

Oh and also fire, my apartment had caught on fire and I lost everything, from that day on I promised myself never again. So now, if I can get it digitally I will get it digitally.