Default Tim Burton's Batman 30th Anniversary

I still think this film and Phantom Menace had the two most insane reactions to when released in my life time both were everywhere I still have a set of coins my old man bought me one with Keaton's Batman on it, one Joker, and one the batmobile.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-26-2019 at 09:42 PM.

You could not get away from Batman back then. He was everywhere. On everything.

I remember my mom making me a Batman Halloween costume that year. To me, it still stands as the best Batman movie they've ever made. Keaton was the best Batman we've had so far. Alfred was perfect. I don't care what anyone says, Jack was a much better Joker than Ledger.

BANNED

Burton's duology is my second best Bat-franchise, centimeters behind Nolan's trilogy.

Boisterously Confused

Forbes had an interesting reflection on the film's anniversary, claiming that Batman, rather than Star Wars put the Cinema industry on the path to the place it's currently in.

I've still got a pair of the cereal boxes (it tasted like Cap'n Crunch) in a box with a small group of stuff me and my brother put together. The marketing merch blitz leading up to was unheard of, everyone had a Batman T-shirt. By everyone I mean in school there were a couple of girls in Jr. High rockin' them, these were the chicks that didn't buy comics. Gotta remember at the time there were no active superhero IP on television other than Adam West reruns and I want to say those only started back up cause of the Burton movie. Anytime anything was on TV regarding the film and mind you I didn't have cable at the time, I recorded it on VHS tape. I need to find that and post it on YT.

I too remembered the hullabaloo that Mr. Mom was gonna be throwing punches in a Batsuit. Apart from that though was that a bigger difference to me that rarely comes up, was that the suit was ALL BLACK... no Jim Aparo or Superfriends grey, no dark blue, an all black suit. I remember the reveal of that was in a magazine I bought... print was huge in the movie hype then, and that was a substantial surprise.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The bat symbol made for the films remains my favorite.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Forbes had an interesting reflection on the film's anniversary, claiming that Batman, rather than Star Wars put the Cinema industry on the path to the place it's currently in.
    I don't really buy the thesis of the article, that Batman is somehow responsible for our current age adaptations, but the timeline is off. First, Mendelson conflates properties with strong IPs (Batman, Harry Potter) to properties that didn't have much of a fanbase (Jaws, Jurrassic Park). Not all adaptations are the same. You don't get really don't get the big budget adaptations of strong IPs until the 2000's with Spiderman, Lord of the Rings, and X-Men. So Batman isn't much of a trend setter if the trend the film set down took a decade to happen.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

The article is uninteresting for me, i dont care.

But i care about what happend at the time. I was twelve and my room was full of pictures and posters, merchandise like never seen before. Batman was all over the place, you just coudlnt escape from it.

I was so pumped when i got in, seeing people dressed as Joker and Batman in the cinema, crazy ****. still the best movie, still the best Batman and still the best Joker. Even Gotham has the best atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The bat symbol made for the films remains my favorite.
    This one?

Someone made the comment that it looks like the mouth a kid with bad teeth and now I can never get that out of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    This one?

Someone made the comment that it looks like the mouth a kid with bad teeth and now I can never get that out of my mind.
    That's from Returns the 89 film was slightly different

https://images.app.goo.gl/YA2hfrjnPhv5zw6P7

Retired

The symbol that Michael Keaton wore in the movie had that funny looking bat, but all the advertising for the movie (which had been around for almost a year before the movie came out) had the classic bat.

I think even the shot at the beginning of the movie uses this bat and not what Keaton has. Now I have to go and find that intro to check if I'm right.

Retired

Yup, just checked it and I'm right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQzbDvcnK4Y

This was maddening for me when I watched the movie (and I went to see it in the theatre about twenty times), because they contradicted themselves with the design.