View Poll Results: What is the best direction for the Miles Morales title?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should be one of several Spider-Man in the regular Marvel Universe

34 51.52%
  • He should replace Peter Parker as Spider-Man in the regular Marvel Universe

1 1.52%
  • He should be the main Spider-Man in another reality outside the regular Marvel Universe

31 46.97%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should Miles Morales Be Part of the Regular Marvel Universe?

In another thread, Frontier noted "Miles is designed to really work well in a universe where Peter is dead and he's the only Spider-Man."

A question that could be relevant with the return of the Ultimate Universe in Miles' book, as well as the success of Into the Spider-Verse, which introduced a version of Miles avenging a deceased Peter Parker, is whether that's a better fit for Miles than the regular Marvel Universe. That seems like the basis for a poll.

The options..
    - Should Miles replace Peter Parker in the regular Marvel Universe?
    - Should Miles be one of several Spider-Men in the regular Marvel Universe?
    - Should Miles be the main Spider-Man in a book with its own continuity?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ideally, he should be the main Spider-Man in his own universe, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

For me personally Miles should eventually take over as spider-man. Let Peter semi retire with a family and a successful career, knowing the Spider-man name is in good hands so he doesn't have to feel guilt.

BANNED

Miles Morales was imported to the 616 Universe as per editorial demand and so on. He hasn't outstayed his welcome in the least and he's a major part of Spider-Man's brand, far bigger than trash like Superior Octopus (who really should be an AU character in Spider-Verse and not a 616 character).

My preference is that Miles should be Peter's only legacy. i.e. somewhere down the lie there should be a House of M style event that removes spider-powers from everyone except Peter and Miles. That is in 616. In Spider-Verse, you know obviously you can have Spider-Gwen and so on and stuff like that.

I think in a perfect world Miles could be the one-and-only Spider-Man of his own Earth but still reap the benefits of the 616 team-ups. But we don't live in a perfect world .

Narratively Miles is at his strongest when Peter Parker is dead and he can be the one-and-only Spider-Man of his Earth. Into the Spider-Verse displayed that pretty succinctly even amidst all the other spiders that were in that movie.

Conceptually I don't think he and Peter really fit together in the same setting, which is probably why for the most part we hardly ever see Peter or Miles be relevant to each other or to each others books aside from the occasional team-up. But that's true for most spider-heroes.

iMan 42s

Returning him to his own universe basically robs him of his relevance and he will be the only thing supporting his book.
    Basically returning him to where Miles was prior to being transported to the main continuity. The only good thing left about his universe and left to eventually fade into obscurity as the others before him did like Spider-girl.

Miles is too good of a concept to jettison.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Returning him to his own universe basically robs him of his relevance and he will be the only thing supporting his book.
    Basically returning him to where Miles was prior to being transported to the main continuity. The only good thing left about his universe and left to eventually fade into obscurity as the others before him did like Spider-girl.

Miles is too good of a concept to jettison.
    I mean, I definitely can't argue that Miles was basically the only thing about the Ultimate Universe people still cared about by the end (well, him and Ultimate Fury).

Just like Gwen will outlive Earth-65 when they're already pushing her into 616.

The poor boy shouldn't have to carry an entire separate continuity on his back. Look at all the friends he's made in the fun universe!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The poor boy shouldn't have to carry an entire separate continuity on his back. Look at all the friends he's made in the fun universe!
    Now we just need to better develop his friends from before that .

What's done is done. Miles has important relationships in 616 now, thanks to the Champions, especially Ms. Marvel. That would be impossible to recreate on 1610, as most of the Champions don't exist (apart from Miles and Bombshell, the only ones who DO exist are Ironheart and a powerless Amadeus - Kamala's counterpart was probably killed in Cataclysm when Galactus wiped New Jersey off the map - even if she is alive, neither she or Carol ever got their powers, so Ultimate Ms. Marvel doesn't exist - and the Nova Corps don't exist either. Viv and Nadia also definitely don't have counterparts due to differences in Vision and Hank Pym's histories).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

iMan 42s

I think to add onto that, if it's just going to be the same book but it's in the Ultimate universe, why change it at all? Another thing to keep in mind is that Peter came back before Miles got transported to 616, and there was some closure to MJ and Peter's story that killing him off again would be a disservice to.

Or even then if he just returns to an identical universe but Peter is still dead, it's not really even his and goes against what Bendis worked past. And if you killed off Peter again, it'd be like trying to capture lightning in a bottle..., again and we have four mainline Peter Parker's dying this decade with two events (that Miles was apart of) about killing Peter Parker. So the shock of this happening and a new hero picking up the mantle doesn't really work. It's just more of the same but arbitrarily changing things back to his origin story circa:2011. A status Quo that only lasted btw about 3 years in the real world.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Should be sent back to the Ultimate Universe where he belongs, along with all the extras and clones!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I mean, narratively he works best when he was from his own universe, but you can't really put that genie back in it's bottle. Spider-Gwen is an even bigger example where even without all of the baggage the Ultimate Universe carried, there's still only so long you can keep a popular character relegated in their AU before rolling them into the main universe.

At this point, say if the Ultimate Universe were to get relaunched again, Miles would likely just end up like Spider-Gwen anyway and pulling double duty bouncing back and forth between both worlds.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, narratively he works best when he was from his own universe, but you can't really put that genie back in it's bottle. Spider-Gwen is an even bigger example where even without all of the baggage the Ultimate Universe carried, there's still only so long you can keep a popular character relegated in their AU before rolling them into the main universe.

At this point, say if the Ultimate Universe were to get relaunched again, Miles would likely just end up like Spider-Gwen anyway and pulling double duty bouncing back and forth between both worlds.
    At the rate things are going with Gwen, I expect in two years or so she'll be stuck in 616 for the foreseeable future.

I prefer Miles to be the spidey of his own Universe. Spider-Man is Peter Parker, that should never change.