View Poll Results: What is the best direction for the Miles Morales title?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should be one of several Spider-Man in the regular Marvel Universe

34 51.52%
  • He should replace Peter Parker as Spider-Man in the regular Marvel Universe

1 1.52%
  • He should be the main Spider-Man in another reality outside the regular Marvel Universe

31 46.97%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You're saying that like Miles is some completely original unique character and not just a copy of the original Spider-man himself.
    Well. He isn’t. He isn’t “completely original” in that he takes on a previous hero’s moniker, but in comics, the two couldn’t have had more different backstories. Why take from the legacy when you have abundance of content of your own?

Even if he were still in his own universe, if he was still as popular as he is now, then the idea of keeping only one Spider-Man in the mainstream would be moot anyway.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    ThereÂ’s a reason why itÂ’s called the Multiverse or the Spider-verse in this case. I rather not have another Green Lantern situation here. Let Miles be his own Spider-Man in his own world maybe as a replacement for Peter when he dies in his world. Other than that letÂ’s not make him another Spider-Man in the mainstream Marvel.

I mean while itÂ’s all well and good now doesnÂ’t make things better in the long run.
    This is a very interesting question. I have no problem with Miles having his own place in 616. I also think if need be, Miles can one day be a replacement for Pete in 616. Do not forget, there have been many stories ( starting with ASM 50 right up to Superior) where Pete or Spider-Man was eliminated, so this is not a new concept. The questions are: 1: Can it be done where the readers are not irked like.the Clone Saga. 2: Where there is a realistic and hopefully a happy ending unlike say Requiem? Maybe the answer is to simply have Pete hang up the webs in favor of Miles because there is a suitable Spider-Man replacement ( unlike ASM 50) and start over with MJ. When could this happen? If and when Marvel decides there are no new and interesting Parker/Spider-Man stories to tell and they need a replacement.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-25-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Well. He isn’t. He isn’t “completely original” in that he takes on a previous hero’s moniker, but in comics, the two couldn’t have had more different backstories. Why take from the legacy when you have abundance of content of your own?
    To be fair, Miles' backstory was more of a contrasting parallel to Peter's then its own thing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The questions are: 1: Can it be done where the readers are not irked like.the Clone Saga. 2: Where there is a realistic and hopefully a happy ending unlike say Requiem? Maybe the answer is to simply have Pete hang up the webs in favor of Miles because there is a suitable Spider-Man replacement ( unlike ASM 50) and start over with MJ.
    Your idea is the exact opposite of a choice that would not leave readers irked.

You would have far less complaints (although still quite a few) if Miles went away and never came back than if Peter did.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Miles Morales is a slime morsel, and a mimosa seller of a character. He's irreplaceable.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I like them establishing a concrete Spider-Family.
    I don't think a concrete Spider-Family really works with how independent these characters are and how they work best in isolation. Miles has developed well on his own in 616 but that's because he's been as far from Peter as possible in order to capture him as the independent Spider-Man he should be. Beyond his death Peter is pretty irrelevant to Miles' story.

Contrast that to media adaptions where Miles is used in something where Peter is the lead and his character comes off sorely lacking compared to how he was depicted in ITSV, or they have to dramatically re-work his character to make him work in a setting with Peter.

If they had tried to establish this concrete Spider-Family when all these different Spider-Heroes were first starting to pop up, and set an actual precedent for it, I think it would have worked better then trying to do it now.

is miles damian or richard

is otto red hood or azrael, and is the other one kaine

who's ben

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Your idea is the exact opposite of a choice that would not leave readers irked.

You would have far less complaints (although still quite a few) if Miles went away and never came back than if Peter did.
    You forgot to add the part when and if Marvel ran out of Parker/Spider-Man ideas. I also did not say forever. Maybe he leaves for a few years, and returns when Pete is missed. See Coke versus the failed New Coke as an example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    To be fair, Miles' backstory was more of a contrasting parallel to Peter's then its own thing.
    How so? Peter and Miles are very much growing up ‘in their times.’ There are some contrasting elements but I wouldn’t say the entire backstory was a parallel to Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

who's ben
    Miles is Tim if they didn’t abandon him when Damian came around.
    Kaine is Red Hood. Otto is Azrael. But also....Miles and Otto hate each other like Tim and Jason. hmmm well
    Ghost-Spider is Batgirl.
    Spider-Girl is Huntress.
    Spider-Woman is uh Batwoman?
    Ben Reilly could be Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think a concrete Spider-Family really works with how independent these characters are and how they work best in isolation. Miles has developed well on his own in 616 but that's because he's been as far from Peter as possible in order to capture him as the independent Spider-Man he should be. Beyond his death Peter is pretty irrelevant to Miles' story.

Contrast that to media adaptions where Miles is used in something where Peter is the lead and his character comes off sorely lacking compared to how he was depicted in ITSV, or they have to dramatically re-work his character to make him work in a setting with Peter.

If they had tried to establish this concrete Spider-Family when all these different Spider-Heroes were first starting to pop up, and set an actual precedent for it, I think it would have worked better then trying to do it now.
    But the Bat-Family isn’t necessarily attached to each other at the hip. Or at least they aren’t when they’re at their best. I agree that Miles being separate from Peter is best for his character but I think Marvel can eat their cake and screw it too. As far as concrete, I don’t mean they have to always show up in each other’s stories, but I like them taking on specific roles whenever they do get together or establishing a connection despite standing on their own. Nightwing, Red Robin, and Red Hood all managed to grow their own stories and casts but still not losing that thread with Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Wally West.
    Otto is Two-Face. Kaine is Red Hood.
    who's ben
    Dick Grayson.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's a big frikkin world. Even NY by itself has room for 2 Spider-Men. But Miles could always move to the Bay Area or LA or Miami. Plenty of room in the main universe for Miles and his family. Make it happen, Marvel!
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

How so? Peter and Miles are very much growing up ‘in their times.’ There are some contrasting elements but I wouldn’t say the entire backstory was a parallel to Peter.
    You want a more direct parallel, play the PS4 game where they make Miles a teen whiz kid like Peter with a dead father figure.
    Miles is Tim if they didn’t abandon him when Damian came around.
    This makes me think that I don't think we've had someone in the Spiders who was actually a Spider-Man fanboy before getting their powers. That's only been a thing with Miles when played by Nadji Jeter.
    Kaine is Red Hood. Otto is Azrael. But also....Miles and Otto hate each other like Tim and Jason. hmmm well
    I don't think Miles and Otto hate each other. They actually eventually got along surprisingly well during Spidergeddon.

(Otto is not pure enough to be compared to Jean Paul .)
    Ghost-Spider is Batgirl.
    Yeah.
    Spider-Girl is Huntress.
    I think she's more like Stephanie Brown/Spoiler with a dash of Azrael.

Black Cat is more like Huntress (or Catwoman, if we're being that obvious). Or Silver Sable.
    Spider-Woman is uh Batwoman?
    I can see it.
    Ben Reilly could be Nightwing.
    That's what I thought as well.
    But the Bat-Family isn’t necessarily attached to each other at the hip. Or at least they aren’t when they’re at their best. I agree that Miles being separate from Peter is best for his character but I think Marvel can eat their cake and screw it too. As far as concrete, I don’t mean they have to always show up in each other’s stories, but I like them taking on specific roles whenever they do get together or establishing a connection despite standing on their own. Nightwing, Red Robin, and Red Hood all managed to grow their own stories and casts but still not losing that thread with Batman.
    When the Batfamily is at their best they're a cohesive fighting unit overseen by Batman and Oracle. It's when they're at their most dysfunctional that they seem to have nothing to do with each other.

I feel like the Spiders are just too independent and solo to be able to fall into the kind of family or group dynamics that you allude to. I don't think it helped how irrelevant they made Peter to all of them around the time of ANAD, and I don't think any writers are really all that interested in developing things beyond that. But I could be wrong, going by September solicits.

What if Miles BECOMES a universe himself. A cosmic entity that produces Spider Totems within its own galactic boundaries.

Think about it; character gets superpowers by chance, makes an initial selfish decision how to use (or not use) them, which has tragic consequences, leading them to a superhero career driven by guilt. Also an uncle character dies. There are variations on the theme (the private school, the friend confidant -- although that was kinda a riff off Ultimate Peter -- the defining point of living in the original's shadow), but the nuts and bolts are the same. Factor in in the comics that once in the suit, Miles and Peter sound and act exactly the same, it really doesn't make Miles stand out as his own character, but as modified rehash of the original. (IMHO, Into the Spider-Verse was the first time that Miles got a good origin story and was made more distinct from the original.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)