harrymickenzy

Default How much stronger is Spider-man in his "Spider Armor Mk. 4"?

I think officially, Spider-man is said to be able to 'press lift' anywhere from 10 to 25 tons.

But in a fight, Doctor Octavious claimed that he had measured Spider-man's strength level and he should not be able to break apart / defeat his tentacles. But Spider-man easily breaks them apart and replies that his new Mk. 4 Spider Armor enhances his strength allowing him to break them.

...Or at-least the fight went something like that. I don't exactly remember though since I'm working off of memory here.vidmate mobdro word counter

Anyway, how much stronger does the Mk. 4 Suit make Spider-man?
    Last edited by harrymickenzy; 06-28-2019 at 11:48 AM.

BANNED

Spider-Man's strength varies depending on the writer. Any in-universe estimate made by writers is simply stuff-to-make-their-story work, is easy to ignore and not intended to stick or really be taken seriously.

If a writer is involved in Spider-Man making special suits and so on, they'll do stuff like that. If a writer wants Spider-Man to defeat people in his red-and-blues he will do that as well.

Spider-Man is strong enough to lift several tons of machinery, that weigh more than 10-25 tons, he can and has been able to fight whole groups and small armies of thugs. Something like 25-30 people and so on. He has fought Morlun who is in Thor's weight class, Mr. Hyde (ditto), Juggernaut (ditto), Firelord (ditto) as well as Venom and Carnage.

Some writers however nerf Spider-Man so they have him go down against glorified thugs like Kingpin, but other writers have Peter wailing on Big Willie until he cries for Vanessa cause Peter's a badass.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

The armor gave Peter a pretty significant strength boost, although it wasn't as impressive as the durability boost given by the armor. You can find a list of feats for the armor here.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Spider-Man's strength varies depending on the writer. Any in-universe estimate made by writers is simply stuff-to-make-their-story work, is easy to ignore and not intended to stick or really be taken seriously.

If a writer is involved in Spider-Man making special suits and so on, they'll do stuff like that. If a writer wants Spider-Man to defeat people in his red-and-blues he will do that as well.

Spider-Man is strong enough to lift several tons of machinery, that weigh more than 10-25 tons, he can and has been able to fight whole groups and small armies of thugs. Something like 25-30 people and so on. He has fought Morlun who is in Thor's weight class, Mr. Hyde (ditto), Juggernaut (ditto), Firelord (ditto) as well as Venom and Carnage.

Some writers however nerf Spider-Man so they have him go down against glorified thugs like Kingpin, but other writers have Peter wailing on Big Willie until he cries for Vanessa cause Peter's a badass.
    This.

When the chips are down, Peter has been able to exceed his strength limit. Especially if there is a life riding on it (Master Planner is the most famous example). But it really depends on the writers/medium. If he needs to be stronger, he is. If he needs to be weaker, you can bet they'll find a way to do it.

I've never understood how the Kingpin has ever been able to give Peter a run for his money. Daredevil? Yes. Purely because his powers don't include enhanced strength (that Daredevil issue by Bendis when he lifted the back of a car up aside). But Peter? Probably their initial encounter. Afterwards Peter should have had his measure. It is what it is, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I've never understood how the Kingpin has ever been able to give Peter a run for his money.
    It's mostly Marv Wolfman's fault. If you read Comic-Creators on Spider-Man, Wolfman makes the shocking comment that Spider-Man has no super-strength. This from a guy who claims to be a Ditko-revivalist, forgetting AF#15, where a 15 year old teenage Peter lifts Crusher Hogan, a dude of Kingpin's size and weight class.

Wolfman was the one who did that Kingpin story where he gave a physical beating to Spider-Man.

Afterwards Peter should have had his measure. It is what it is, though.
    Since Back in Black, Kingpin hasn't made many appearances in ASM and certainly never as a physical threat.

JMS finished Kingpin as a Spider-Man villain more or less.

It's mostly Marv Wolfman's fault. If you read Comic-Creators on Spider-Man, Wolfman makes the shocking comment that Spider-Man has no super-strength. This from a guy who claims to be a Ditko-revivalist, forgetting AF#15, where a 15 year old teenage Peter lifts Crusher Hogan, a dude of Kingpin's size and weight class.

Wolfman was the one who did that Kingpin story where he gave a physical beating to Spider-Man.

Since Back in Black, Kingpin hasn't made many appearances in ASM and certainly never as a physical threat.

JMS finished Kingpin as a Spider-Man villain more or less.
    I'm pretty sure Fisk was in Slott's ASM in a story where Black Cat tried to steal a painting from him. And he was depicted as still being a physical threat.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure Fisk was in Slott's ASM in a story where Black Cat tried to steal a painting from him. And he was depicted as still being a physical threat.
    And in some arcs of Big Time and Superior Spider-Man due to the new Hobgoblin (Phil Urich) working for him. That said, he's seen more as a behind-the-scenes manipulator and schemer rather than straightforwardly brawling with Spidey.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And in some arcs of Big Time and Superior Spider-Man due to the new Hobgoblin (Phil Urich) working for him. That said, he's seen more as a behind-the-scenes manipulator and schemer rather than straightforwardly brawling with Spidey.
    Which is what I meant in terms of JMS finishing Kingpin as a physical threat in 616. Fisk can be a manipulator behind the desk in some capacity in Spider-Man titles but the decades of trying to sell him as a big guy is more or less done.

I actually do think Spencer is setting up a physical fight between Fisk and Spidey eventually, and obviously Back in Black is kind of something he would have to address.

Spider-Man wasting Fisk like trash is one of the all-time great Spider-Man moments, a moment of total catharsis. It's also without question the greatest Spider-Man/Kingpin story, and the best story with Kingpin in any Spider-Man story. So this isn't something that can simply be buried or ignored.

Which is what I meant in terms of JMS finishing Kingpin as a physical threat in 616. Fisk can be a manipulator behind the desk in some capacity in Spider-Man titles but the decades of trying to sell him as a big guy is more or less done.

I actually do think Spencer is setting up a physical fight between Fisk and Spidey eventually, and obviously Back in Black is kind of something he would have to address.

Spider-Man wasting Fisk like trash is one of the all-time great Spider-Man moments, a moment of total catharsis. It's also without question the greatest Spider-Man/Kingpin story, and the best story with Kingpin in any Spider-Man story. So this isn't something that can simply be buried or ignored.
    He's still a big guy within his wheelhouse, namely the New York criminal underworld, but not "square off with Spider-Man and get his licks in, let alone win" kind of big. Also, considering that over in Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil, Wilson Fisk is suffering his own crises somewhat paralleling Matt Murdock's, namely discovering the hard way that his power as mayor of New York might not completely insulate him from the consequences of his actions and the Owl officially taking over his old mantle as the Kingpin of Crime, I'm thinking those could well factor into any future confrontation between him and Spider-Man.

BANNED

He's still a big guy within his wheelhouse, namely the New York criminal underworld, but not "square off with Spider-Man and get his licks in, let alone win" kind of big. Also, considering that over in Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil, Wilson Fisk is suffering his own crises somewhat paralleling Matt Murdock's, namely discovering the hard way that his power as mayor of New York might not completely insulate him from the consequences of his actions and the Owl officially taking over his old mantle as the Kingpin of Crime, I'm thinking those could well factor into any future confrontation between him and Spider-Man.
    Yeah, I mean by the time of Back in Black, Kingpin had long been setup as a primarily Daredevil villain, and while Daredevil offices tend to have far less power than Spider-Man office does (the lack of DD merch, and the fact that Matt has never headlined a single video game and cartoon is part of that), the writers on Daredevil books tend to be quite prestigious and respected. Like Bendis wrote DD for five years, followed by Brubaker (who I think was on Daredevil at the time of Back in Black), followed by Waid, followed by Soule and now Zdarsky.

Like in that period, the only major appearance Kingpin had was Paul Jenkins' "Read 'Em and Weep" his poker story (which is also an awesome moment about how Spider-Man had outgrown Fisk).

Right now, obviously Mayor Fisk will eventually be ousted from office. One way or another that's gonna happen. It depends on what story Zdarsky has but I imagine Spencer will want in on that too. And it could well be that Boomerang is the guy that ends up bringing him down.

Yeah, I mean by the time of Back in Black, Kingpin had long been setup as a primarily Daredevil villain, and while Daredevil offices tend to have far less power than Spider-Man office does (the lack of DD merch, and the fact that Matt has never headlined a single video game and cartoon is part of that), the writers on Daredevil books tend to be quite prestigious and respected. Like Bendis wrote DD for five years, followed by Brubaker (who I think was on Daredevil at the time of Back in Black), followed by Waid, followed by Soule and now Zdarsky.

Like in that period, the only major appearance Kingpin had was Paul Jenkins' "Read 'Em and Weep" his poker story (which is also an awesome moment about how Spider-Man had outgrown Fisk).

Right now, obviously Mayor Fisk will eventually be ousted from office. One way or another that's gonna happen. It depends on what story Zdarsky has but I imagine Spencer will want in on that too. And it could well be that Boomerang is the guy that ends up bringing him down.
    Boomerang bringing down Fisk would be priceless.

BANNED

Boomerang bringing down Fisk would be priceless.
    Not physically, but basically Freddie will do some enormous screwup that creates a chain reaction of dominoes that ends up leading Fisk to breakdown and something of that nature.

But it depends on what Zdarsky wants to do. Zdarsky's current take on Daredevil is putting Matt in a very introspective place. And Zdarsky would be pretty reluctant to force DD to an event. In an interview with Cates/Stegman on their podcast, he said that the reason he did Daredevil was that it was a title that didn't tie into events and other MU happenings so easily.

At best Spencer might ask for a loan on a character and a team-up but nothing more. The two books are quite different. Spencer's ASM is generally on the funny and light-side (with the exception of Kindred and parts of HUNTED), while Zdarsky's Daredevil is quite dark and heavy.

Not physically, but basically Freddie will do some enormous screwup that creates a chain reaction of dominoes that ends up leading Fisk to breakdown and something of that nature.

But it depends on what Zdarsky wants to do. Zdarsky's current take on Daredevil is putting Matt in a very introspective place. And Zdarsky would be pretty reluctant to force DD to an event. In an interview with Cates/Stegman on their podcast, he said that the reason he did Daredevil was that it was a title that didn't tie into events and other MU happenings so easily.

At best Spencer might ask for a loan on a character and a team-up but nothing more. The two books are quite different. Spencer's ASM is generally on the funny and light-side (with the exception of Kindred and parts of HUNTED), while Zdarsky's Daredevil is quite dark and heavy.
    That's actually quite funny, come to think of it, but I think it shows some great versatility on their parts as writers.