Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Long-term? Yes. But on an ongoing basis, I think not; it's iffy enough having so many other Kryptonians around (I have a way around that conceptual issue, but I'm keeping it close to the chest--Superlad93 knows what I'm talking about), but a whole new existing Krypton? No way. As it is, it belongs alongside other eternal Superman problems like neutralizing Kryptonite and reforming Luthor.
    Buh-bye

Dont get me wrong, its a great pitch: what if Kandor unshrunk? The end of the Brainiac arc is a "holy ****" moment for sure. Its just the answer we got to the question was an unsatisfying one. Maybe someone someday will do it right, but for now, im content with it remaining a plot device as is.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I kinda think it would be a good plot point. Have it unshrunk and put on a planet on the other side of the universe. It would give Superman and Supergirl something to hold on to knowing that there are more of their people out there somewhere, but having know idea where they are. It would serve a better purpose that way than as it sitting in the fortress constanly reminding Superman how he has failed them over and over again.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Of the two choices, I'd leave it miniature.

If nothing else, it's better for the Kandorians as they're pretty safe where they are. New Krypton did not work out too well...

I'm of the Superman should be the only Kryptonian school, so if we were rid of it forever I wouldn't blink.

I actually really liked the post-COIE Kandor, a city of different races all forced together in one bottle. There was a lot of scope in that (although we rarely saw it).

No, Kandor shouldn't be un-shrunk. More than that, it shouldn't still be populated. It should be an antique, akin to a ship in a bottle. A reminder of what is lost never to be recovered.

Krypton should be gone, and it should be missed. That's really the only aspect of tragedy within the mythos of Superman. And the Superverse needs some permanent element of sadness. A populated Kandor, shrunk or un-shrunk, dilutes that tragedy too much.

I don't require Kal to be the only survivor, but I definitely think less is more with concurrent Kryptonians: keep the true Kryptonians limited to just Kal, Kara, Krypto, and Zod. Done and done.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Krypton should be gone, and it should be missed. That's really the only aspect of tragedy within the mythos of Superman. And the Superverse needs some permanent element of sadness. A populated Kandor, shrunk or un-shrunk, dilutes that tragedy too much.

I don't require Kal to be the only survivor, but I definitely think less is more with concurrent Kryptonians: keep the true Kryptonians limited to just Kal, Kara, Krypto, and Zod. Done and done.
    Why Zod? He hardly seems so important that he needs to survive. I can see why Supergirl and Superdog need to exist--for licensing and marketing reasons--but Zod seems an odd exception.

I'm an all or nothing at all kind of guy. If I'm going to be a purist, then I'd say Superman should be the only survivor. But as soon as you allow one other organic humanoid from Krypton to survive then the door is open; whatever is gained by having Superman be the only survivor is lost as soon as any others have also survived. And Supergirl only came along after many other survivors were already shown in the Superman comics (including Krypto and the Kandorians) so she's a Janey come lately.

But I do have my own fan fic ideas on how Supergirl, Kandor and the Phantom Zone could all be re-imagined such that they wouldn't really be surviving organic humanoid Kryptonians and yet all the classic continuity could still have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Why Zod? He hardly seems so important that he needs to survive. I can see why Supergirl and Superdog need to exist--for licensing and marketing reasons--but Zod seems an odd exception.
    Zod's been the heavy in two separate Superman feature films (SUPERMAN II, MAN OF STEEL). "Kneel Before Zod!" has become its own catchphrase. The guy's a Top 5 Superman rogue any way you slice it (after Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid*, and tied with Bizarro). It'd be difficult to get rid of Zod altogether.

Personally, I'd make "Zod" a Kryptonian title or a nickname, one that could be passed down from one person to another. And I'd have Faora take the name of "Zod", graft her pre-COIE sociopathic serial killer personality back onto her, and have her be the ONLY inhabitant of the Phantom Zone.

"Zod", Kara and Krypto and Kal-El.

Leaving Superman the literal Last Son of Krypton.

* - Darkseid is both a DCU villain AND a Superman rogue, imho.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Because Zod has become the quintessential anti-Superman. All the powers, wants to destroy Earth/Superman. There's a lot of play there. I'd certainly take him before Supergirl (girl version of Superman) or Krypto (dog version of Superman).

Retired

Thing is General Zod wasn't used that often after he was first introduced. He fell almost into obscurity until SUPERMAN II gave him a higher profile. But then the Byrne reboot happened and the only General Zod existed in the pocket universe--and that story had Superman killing. After that other Zods weren't Kryptonian.

It wasn't until Geoff Johns brought back Zod as a Kryptonian anti-hero that General Zod re-emerged as a worthy foe. I understand that he's the flavour of the month, but I wonder if fans really want to see General Zod installed as the Black Adam of the Superman Family for the long haul.

More to the point of this thread, it seems to me we're arguing whether certain characters need to be surviving (organic humanoid) Kryptonians. Really when you get down to it, only Superman needs to be from Krypton. It's likely that Krypto the Superdog will always be returning to continuity, no matter how many times editors try to ignore him, because he's fun and good for marketing--yet even Krypto doesn't have to be Kryptonian and he's a dog.

For the Phantom Zone, I'd prefer that the villains were wraiths. I think this is how they were used on SMALLVILLE. So to get out of the Phantom Zone, they would have to possess a living host. My idea is that on Krypton they had clone bodies in reserve--so when they were released from the Phantom Zone, these wraiths got new bodies that looked like them--yet all those clones were destroyed along with Krypton itself. And now the wraiths are trapped in the Phantom Zone and they can't get out without having a host body to inhabit. However, Earth human bodies are incompatible and give out after a short period of possession. So Zod and his lot are trying to clone off DNA extracted from Superman to create new bodies for themselves.

Of course, I doubt the current DC would ever use my idea--they're wedded to Geoff Johns' nihilistic Kryptonian army idea--but mine solves the dilemma of having Superman be the only survivor and yet retaining the Phantom Zone villains.

I have a different fix for Kandor.