Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The thing is that Wolverine, Mystique and Sabretooth do not have the psyche you would expect from someone over one hundred years old. They seem to have the personality of being 40 years old at best.
    That's the case for almost every immortal or semi-immortal in fiction though.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Yeah, writing inmortals is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Too late for the latter. He may as well have a "Property of Mystique" tattooed on him. Because it's her or nothing. All his other love interests have been one-offs that don't appear longer than 1 page. Or killed off the the minis they got introduced in.

So he's stuck as Mystique's occasional pet. Cements his role as a loser character. lol

Wolverine will continue to have hordes of lovers, and was smart enough to kick Mystique to the curb a long time ago. Perks of being the popular pet character.
    I was more in the line of an age-appropiate lover. But yeah it would be nice if they would stop selling Creed and Raven as the Bonnie and Clyde of the Marvel, even someone like me who is into weird romance, i found then as a pair pretty unapealling frankly.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I'm just finished off a six-month delayed academic paper in which I've stuck some digs in at Rogneto. Aside from the age, whenever they're paired up there's always a massive physical and social power differential that favours Mags. It makes him look like a creep IMHO.

The thing is that Wolverine, Mystique and Sabretooth do not have the psyche you would expect from someone over one hundred years old. They seem to have the personality of being 40 years old at best.
    They're Orlandos. Or Gods. They're not old and they're not young and thinking about how that works in regards to their internal psychology will just give you a migraine.

So he's stuck as Mystique's occasional pet. Cements his role as a loser character. lol
    Mystique's into Creed like a cat is into the mouse that it's pawing.
    Last edited by Foon4000; 06-24-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Yeah, writing inmortals is hard.
    Yeah, you either keep then relatable (because actual immortals don't exist.... that we know of course ), and write then as jaded/grumpy people (in heroic cases) or you go for a more "beyond humanity" approach when they play more supporting roles.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I was more in the line of an age-appropiate lover. But yeah it would be nice if they would stop selling Creed and Raven as the Bonnie and Clyde of the Marvel, even someone like me who is into weird romance, i found then as a pair pretty unappealing frankly.
    I agree on both counts. Unless Mystique, Logan, Mags, Widow, date each other then they're all gonna have younger lovers. Except Creed who is stuck with Mystique when she's no screwing other characters. I will forever hate Lobdel for introducing this retcon. And Aaron for making it some kind of prominent relationship. Prior to him, those two hardly interacted. Now they're never separated.

Creed x Mystique is more like Tiffany x Chucky respectively. Except even that relationship actually made sense and was equally balanced and likable.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-24-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    I don't understand why people get hung up on the timeline thing, Magneto survived the holocaust, cant we just pretend Marvel years are shorter or something? It's comics.

if they retconned the holocaust from his life that would be really dumb...
    Magneto's Jewish identity and Holocaust history are essential to Magneto's character, and to the X-Men as a whole. More importantly, erasing a Jewish character's identity isn't up for debate. It's wrong. I am really grateful for Jordan White's stance on this, but he *should* be speaking for all of Marvel Comics. That should be Disney's stance and all of Marvel's stance. No character's ethnicity or sexual orientation should be up for debate at Marvel.

Once again, I have to say, why is this an issue? Why does this ever have to be changed? This is super hero science fiction comic books. You have characters who shoot lighting and fly, characters who channel solar energy and shoot concussive beams from their eyes, characters who are demon rulers of hellish dimensions. There are living planets and time travel, pocket universes, there was Battleworld, and Franklin Richards who can alter reality. But suddenly when it comes to preserving Magneto's Jewish Holocaust history, some at Marvel find it just too "improbable"?

'Oh too many real-world years have passed' is a fake argument, and I hope no one ever listens to it. Magneto ages more slowly. That's it. Why is this so hard? He is immune to all of the electromagnetic spectrum, including cosmic rays, UV radiation, microwaves, radiation in general (if he weren't, he'd have died the first time he used his powers). UV radiation, cosmic radiation, help age human beings. Magneto's anatomy is slightly different -- he has an extra organ at the base of his brain, his electrolytes are at a completely different level than non-mutant or even other mutant human beings.

Anyway, again, nothing against JDW. I don't agree with him about his favorite Magneto comic book, but that's his personal opinion. Fans rarely agree about their favorite appearance of a beloved character. (Mine is UNCANNY X-MEN #274 -- the quintessential Magneto to me.) He has a more nuanced opinion of Magneto than he used to, so I'm happy about that!

The good news is, he states without hesitation that Lorna is Magneto's daughter. I've been worried Marvel was going to mess with that.
    Last edited by Rivka; 06-24-2019 at 11:21 AM.

I agree on both counts. Unless Mystique, Logan, Mags, Widow, date each other then they're all gonna have younger lovers. Except Creed who is stuck with Mystique when she's no screwing other characters. I will forever hate Lobdel for introducing this retcon. And Aaron for making it some kind of prominent relationship. Prior to him, those two hardly interacted. Now they're never separated.

Creed x Mystique is more like Tiffany x Chucky respectively. Except even that relationship actually made sense and was equally balanced and likable.
    I though that Remender was the guilty one.

Lol, Tiffany and Chucky was at least funny for the sheer absurdity of their situation.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I though that Remender was the guilty one.
    Well Lobdell was responsible for Graydon's creation. UNLESS he didn't intend for him to be Creed's son, and Hama was responsible for the retcon in Creed's mini.

Aaron was the one who started this mess of a relationship with his whole "Hottest & Deadliest New Couple" crap, and showing them tenderly embracing before Mystique gets ready to rape Wolverine. Then later chatting with Creed while using names for him such as "dearest."

Then Remender latched on to it, and started forcing it down our throats in everything he wrote, including AXIS where he retcons their first meeting, and has them gazing at each other like they're in love.
    RCO010.jpg
    And Creed trying to protect & save Mystique from Kurt & Rogue, with the latter threatening to kill Mystique in front him him to hurt him.

Lol, Tiffany and Chucky was at least funny for the sheer absurdity of their situation.
    Agreed. I love their interactions. That's how you do a villain couple.

It's a silly campy B-Movie. But Bonnie & Clyde vs. Dracula is another example of how to write a villain couple that's enjoyable & fun with two people who are screwed up. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-24-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Thank you for your answer Mr. White.
    Hey, Jordan is here! Max Eisenhardt is Magneto's birth name, but Erik Lehnsherr is the name he took quasi-legally as his identity after Magda disappeared/died. Magneto never wanted anyone to know his birth name. It's like asking, which do you prefer, Stanley Lieber or Stan Lee, Jacob Kurtzberg or Jack Kirby. One is the birth name, the other is the public, professional name that the world knows.

Who's she dated that old? It wasn't Cap was it? Or is she more Cougar, and dates younger? I haven't read as much of her.
    I can't remember, with all the time he's been put in cryo-stasis, whether Bucky is age-equivalent to her or not. I think he was a little older when they first met.

Astonishing Member

Plenty of people just aren't into age-gap romance. But in general i agreed, as long as the love interest isn't a kid (preferably an adult in his 20s at the very least), i see no issue, i don't want Mystique to be the only choice for Logan and Creed lol.
    That’s because age gap relationships are something that happens in ‘real life’ and for most people, a majority of the time, they aren’t good, because of the power imbalance. While things like immortal succubus women aren’t remotely a real life situation.

Personally speaking my problem with Magneto and Rogue wasn't the age, is just that Magneto has done some really shitty things to Rogue (worse than almost anyone in her life).

I didn't mind Creed because he was pretty much another man during that story, but people has different standars for shippingn there are people that simply can't stand more than 1 year difference between pairings for example.
    Thank you. I support Rogneto, but I recognize it's a toxic relationship. Sexy but toxic. Age isn't a factor. I find all the fashing about age to be strange in 2019. Magneto is about 40 years old physically, but was born in 1926. Rogue isn't a teenager but a grown-ass woman. I hope some of the age-difference-police don't ever fall in love with someone who is more than 10 years older or younger than themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't remember, with all the time he's been put in cryo-stasis, whether Bucky is age-equivalent to her or not. I think he was a little older when they first met.
    Natasha was born in 1928 and Bucky was a teenager in World War II so it is likely that they are of the same age more or less.

Astonishing Member

Lol, that’s true, maybe that’s why Bucky/nat is so popular.