Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default is Zeb Wells' New Mutants series good?

I saw the second complete collection came out and wondering if I should pick it up.

It has its moments. The art is also great. If you've read and enjoyed New Mutants in the past, then I think you'll enjoy Zeb Wells' run.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Zeb Wells coming to New Mutants after that dreadful New Warriors mini he did. But he quickly won me over. I think he's my second favourite with these characters after the "great master."
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

************ doug costs it 3 points
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Just like any series, there are a few missteps and odd choices along the way, but overall I'd recommend it for any New Mutants fan.

Roberto was decidedly less powerful to elevate and differentiate other team members like Cannonball and Magma.
    Illyana's probably THE MOST Russian she's ever been written under Wells, and her character arc is easily one of my favorites.
    Zeb made Doug (controversially) cooler than he's ever been and the validity of the New Mutants as legit X-Men is firmly addressed-- by Cyclops specifically.

There's nostalgia and revisiting of old storylines but all of them feel relevant and appropriate rather than shoe horned or like Wells was just mining the history-well.
    I'm a fan.

It's all down to personal preference obviously, but I liked it well enough iirc

The team get drawn into most of the events of that time, so it might lead you into further reading.

I liked his Magik, the limbo babies and the Magma and Mephisto criminally underused plot point. (or maybe that was Abnetts run )

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Absolutely yes. Apart from Claremont, I think it's the only writer that gets to make me feel these kids are my gang, as in the old good times.

My second favorite run of TNM ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Rogue View Post
    It's all down to personal preference obviously, but I liked it well enough iirc

The team get drawn into most of the events of that time, so it might lead you into further reading.

I liked his Magik, the limbo babies and the Magma and Mephisto criminally underused plot point. (or maybe that was Abnetts run )
    That was Abbs run, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    That was Abbs run, yeah.
    Ah, Cool, Cheers

Zeb brings back the Hellions in Necrosha too, ftw

Funnily enough I think Zebs run would compliment the current Uncanny book, in art and as a who's who of the dusty corners of the X-universe.

100% Yes!

Now, my opinion may be biased because Magik is my favorite character and she consumes the majority of the spotlight under Wells' pen. However, I still think this is a great series for any New Mutants fan. Wells incorporates classic New Mutants elements & story lines and gives them a fresh coat of pain...Legion, The Hellions, Inferno, etc.

Just some clarification though, as I believe Fokken may have pointed out...Wells only has one Complete Collection which has been out for a little while now. It covers issues 1-11 & 15-21 (issues 12-14 are chapters in the Second Coming crossover).

The recently released Complete Collection is written by Abnett & Lanning (DNA), and is there second volume. They also have a first, which came out a few months ago. In total their 2 volumes cover issues 25-50...the missing issues (22-24) between Wells & DNA's runs were chapters in the Age of X Crossover (also an amazing story!).

I cannot comment on the majority of DNA's run though as I only read the first few issues...Cannonball, Karma, & Magik leave the team as Blink & Nate Grey join.

BANNED

It’s amazing. Zeb Wells is more knowledgeable on X-lore than most of the people who have written the books over the last decade. It’s also one of the rare series that does nostalgia right, using it as a launching point with every character moving forward, rather than a constant crutch to hide uninspired storytelling.

Yes. It was a great sequel to the original NM series. Its too bad Peter David had a lock on Rahne and she never appeared

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I liked what I read of it, but it's not the most memorable book. I'd probably re-read it.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

It was pretty good, the best New Mutants run after Claremont's.
    Good story, good twistes.
    As a Magik fan, I realy loved the protrayal of the character. Smug and morally ambigous. It did a great job bringing back Warlock and Cypher in the X-books too.

But at the same time, it felt like a regression to put them all again in the same team. It was liek they were children again. Too young to be in charge of the X-kids (Moonstar), too young to evolve in the Hellfire Club (Sunspot)
    And for some reason it protrayed Cannonball as a failure of a leader. That was a huge waste after all this time he was expected to be one of the big X-leaders. But that sometimes happens when a "young" character flies too high. Marvel puts them down. Just ask Richard Rider.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I liked this series too, though I quickly lost interest after Wells left as the quality took a nose dive once the gang bought a condo in San Fran and Magik became an X-Man full time.