Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

All it would take to keep the Magneto age thing is one writer and one page with an explanation. Same thing for an assload of characters like Baron Zemo or all the classic SHIELD agents.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

There are three Magnetos, like the Joker.

The one who survived the Holocaust, the one who went crazy in New X-men and believed himself to be Xorn and the current one.

Marvel, hire me.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    All it would take to keep the Magneto age thing is one writer and one page with an explanation. Same thing for an assload of characters like Baron Zemo or all the classic SHIELD agents.
    Yeah, simply say "he time-traveled/went to space/was in stasis in Sinister's lab"

ERIK: I hate, Nazis, bro!

ZEMO: I miss my dad, bro!

ERIK: Can I get some of your life juice, bro?!

ZEMO: Anytime, bro!

They proceed to get on all fours and lick the anti-die soup from doggy bowls.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Man, that de-aging thing happened quite back in Lee to Thomas era. They're gonna have to bring it up more often if they're planning to keep his WW2 origin. Even Reed and Ben don't have their WW2 ties anymore.
    True, although obviously Peter Parker also graduated from college a gazillion years ago... it's one of those things we need to suspend our disbelief on. But I agree that it should be brought up from time to time like Our Lord Claremont did.

Mags also got significantly de-aged when he regained his powers during Fraction's run IIRC

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Man, that de-aging thing happened quite back in Lee to Thomas era. They're gonna have to bring it up more often if they're planning to keep his WW2 origin. Even Reed and Ben don't have their WW2 ties anymore.
    Why? Don't we all know its because the character was created in the 60s? Why do they need to explain it

I've been busy today. Didn't get a chance to really say anything til now.

My comments are to the Polaris bits. I feel this thread is the most relevant place to share them.

In general: I'll be honest, I didn't expect these responses. I expected either complete avoidance, or attempts to dismiss her as one of Magneto's daughters, possibly with attempts to promote Havok some more.

Overall, I like what I read. I have more to say in specifics.

AiPT!: Magneto and Charles Xavier’s relationship has been discussed to death. Robert Secundus (@RobertSecundus) wanted to know what, in your opinion, is Magneto’s most interesting relationship with a character other than Xavier?

Jordan: I would say his relationship with his “children” and in that I include both Polaris who is definitely his daughter as well as Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver since they spent so many years believing on both sides that he was their father. They’re… they’re all so fraught. For every moment of connection between them, there are others where he denies their lineage, or abandons them in favor of his own goals. He’s a complicated guy. I think “righteous” is probably a good word for him, which is itself a complicated term depending on whose morals you share in regards to that righteousness.
    My takeaways. It's a good sign for Lorna specifically, and the family in general, that there's a sense shown here of interest in the family and opportunity to explore it. I personally agree with this take. Magneto's complicated, the family dynamics are complicated. It's good drama. If X-Men is "soap opera drama" as some say, then the Magnus family is a perfect place to pursue it.

I also pick up an awareness of fan concern over Marvel excluding Lorna from the family in recent non-comics things, and past Avengers-related comics things. Adding the word "definitely" seems to modify in a sense of wanting to make sure it's very clear, not just a thing being said cause it's the current landscape.

Final thing out of this I get, is that if Lorna's not acknowledged as part of the family, or outright excluded from it, then the cause is either above or outside JDW (outside meaning another office like Avengers).

AiPT!: And while on the topic of children, Magneto and Polaris have been rebuilding their father/daughter relationship over the last few years, especially in X-Men Blue. wes empurrado pela máfia X (@nvtegrey) wanted to know how you view this relationship. Should Lorna trust him or does she know better?

Jordan: It’s funny you put it that way–should she trust him? I am not sure how much good has come from X-Men trusting him in the past. That said… we’ve been saying House of X and Powers of X is going to change everything. Might that also change?
    If not for JDW's prior comment of Lorna definitely being Magneto's daughter, I'd be concerned about "change everything" meaning a retcon. I'm only sharing that because I feel in some cases, it's important to highlight how having or not having certain details and context can influence interpretation.

This wasn't really an answer... but if I'm honest, in his same shoes, I'd probably give the same or a similar answer. A firm yes or no limits the options for stories, especially when there are different kinds, intensities, and contexts of trust. The key is trust or lack of it where it makes the most sense for their history and characters. Sometimes they conflict. You can trust someone wants you to be safe, while not trusting them to let you pursue your full potential BECAUSE doing so requires you to not be safe.

As for HoX and PoX changing their relationship... two different thoughts. If genuine, it implies Lorna could have more of a role in the event than anything so far has suggested. Considering we've seen no art or mention of her (that we know of). However, I'm doubtful this is the case. I'm expecting this is one of those "let's pretend we're teasing something when we're really not" moments.

And that's all I have to say at this juncture.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Just have Maneto walk through a Siege Perilous and come back out as the best and prime version of himself. They can do a Fassy to him. Lol, when I wrote Fassy, it wanted to autocorrect to Daddy.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    magneto without the holocaust is an actual boneless pizza, it's like don draper without korea, it's like if spider-man got nibbled by a mongoose, it's like if avengers characters had the backstories of x-men characters

it's not right
    Agreed. It goes to the core of the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I'm guessing that's Buonfantino's Mags from AoXM Omega. His art looks better here than it did on Gold, if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I've been busy today. Didn't get a chance to really say anything til now.

My comments are to the Polaris bits. I feel this thread is the most relevant place to share them.

In general: I'll be honest, I didn't expect these responses. I expected either complete avoidance, or attempts to dismiss her as one of Magneto's daughters, possibly with attempts to promote Havok some more.

Overall, I like what I read. I have more to say in specifics.

My takeaways. It's a good sign for Lorna specifically, and the family in general, that there's a sense shown here of interest in the family and opportunity to explore it. I personally agree with this take. Magneto's complicated, the family dynamics are complicated. It's good drama. If X-Men is "soap opera drama" as some say, then the Magnus family is a perfect place to pursue it.

I also pick up an awareness of fan concern over Marvel excluding Lorna from the family in recent non-comics things, and past Avengers-related comics things. Adding the word "definitely" seems to modify in a sense of wanting to make sure it's very clear, not just a thing being said cause it's the current landscape.

Final thing out of this I get, is that if Lorna's not acknowledged as part of the family, or outright excluded from it, then the cause is either above or outside JDW (outside meaning another office like Avengers).

If not for JDW's prior comment of Lorna definitely being Magneto's daughter, I'd be concerned about "change everything" meaning a retcon. I'm only sharing that because I feel in some cases, it's important to highlight how having or not having certain details and context can influence interpretation.

This wasn't really an answer... but if I'm honest, in his same shoes, I'd probably give the same or a similar answer. A firm yes or no limits the options for stories, especially when there are different kinds, intensities, and contexts of trust. The key is trust or lack of it where it makes the most sense for their history and characters. Sometimes they conflict. You can trust someone wants you to be safe, while not trusting them to let you pursue your full potential BECAUSE doing so requires you to not be safe.

As for HoX and PoX changing their relationship... two different thoughts. If genuine, it implies Lorna could have more of a role in the event than anything so far has suggested. Considering we've seen no art or mention of her (that we know of). However, I'm doubtful this is the case. I'm expecting this is one of those "let's pretend we're teasing something when we're really not" moments.

And that's all I have to say at this juncture.
    Honestly I think JDW just kinda threw a curve with that second question. I felt that, while the question was about Lorna, he kinda made it into a general thing of like "Should the X-Men as a whole trust Magneto?" instead of being specific about their father/daughter relationship.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by victor borkowski View Post
    Agreed. It goes to the core of the character.
    The only thing it did was give Claremont a way to make the reader open up to being sympathetic to Magneto.

How many stories has Magneto appeared in that even reference it recently, and do you think none of them would work without that tie to the past?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    Why? Don't we all know its because the character was created in the 60s? Why do they need to explain it
    So was Aunt May and even she needs to be time-scaled to explain her existence and that isn't a problem since her creation isn't tied to a specific point of history.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

if the alternative is having someone de-aged or turned to a child in some round about comic plot, that's just silly, I'd prefer to pretend WW2 was always 40 years ago or whatever.