Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Polaris should either have a break, or just be combined into Green Magneto until they figure out if we really need gender-swapped character variants.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Just because a character is stuck doing nothing does not mean they need a break. On the contrary, they need writers that actually have the imagination and the vision to use them to their full potential. Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus all need a writer that cares about the character enough to do more than use them as wallpaper or a prop for their own favorite characters. I want to see these characters used MORE, but effectively, and not put on the shelf.

How about side-lining a few characters whose story the books always seem to revolve around. I like Wolverine, but he wasn't gone long enough for me. Here he is back in multiple books (Just look at the September solicites).

Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus were in Amazing, Extraordinary, Gold. They were on all latest flagship relaunched books. Would love to move them to other books and give space for other characters to be used in flagship book.

Controversial... but everyone in the O5, ANAD, and Outback but Psylocke.

Build new Blue Gold and Red teams with New Mutants, Excalibur, and X-Forcers.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

So, basically you just want the franchise to die, then. OK.

I’m
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    So, basically you just want the franchise to die, then. OK.
    That’s an extreme and reactionary interpretation, lol.

The series has experienced significant upheavals in the past. Temporarily retiring the entire senior class is hardly franchise-destroying.

Rachel, because she's useless. Kitty, because recent runs have dinged her popularity. Sabretooth.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't thinly veiled "Character I hate" threads banned on here?
    This is not a hate thread. It’s to discuss characters that would actually benefit from a break. Like Thor before JMS brought him back during Civil War. In fact Psylocke is one of my favorites.

It would build up fondness for the characters during their absence, and the books get a secondary benefit by putting some focus on other characters.
    Last edited by Nick Miller; 06-25-2019 at 05:53 AM.

I’m

That’s an extreme and reactionary interpretation, lol.

The series has experienced significant upheavals in the past. Temporarily retiring the entire senior class is hardly franchise-destroying.
    It is sales wise. And creatively wise, essentially most of the "senior class" was out ot X-books after Secret Wars- Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Beast (Inhumans), Wolverine, Rogue, Polarie, Havok, Dazzler. We saw how that turned out.

BANNED

It would take some transitionary period with the necessary ground work to retire the most iconic characters of the franchise. Time that I'm pretty sure Marvel is not interested in using.

Also the fact that the ANAD overhaul happened on a time the X-Men were the ugly step-child of Marvel and the world was on quite the difference place when it came to the medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    It is sales wise. And creatively wise, essentially most of the "senior class" was out ot X-books after Secret Wars- Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Beast (Inhumans), Wolverine, Rogue, Polarie, Havok, Dazzler. We saw how that turned out.
    I guess we're both lucky sales figures wasn't a criteria for the OP when he posed the question.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    This is not a hate thread. It’s to discuss characters that would actually benefit from a break. Like Thor before JMS brought him back during Civil War. In fact Psylocke is one of my favorites.

It would build up fondness for the characters during their absence, and the books get a secondary benefit by putting some focus on other characters.
    lol this doesn't happen. Did Havok and Beast become more popular during their post-Secret War absences?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    lol this doesn't happen. Did Havok and Beast become more popular during their post-Secret War absences?
    Also, JMS run increased Thor's popularity because people liked it, not because he stayed out for long- if his run was disliked, it would have the opposite effect.

The reason putting something on hiatus and then bringing it back works is because they wait until people had an actual story for said franchise, then the fanbase that wanted more are happy while new people have a clear point to join. It's different politically when you're doing it with a book. With a character, it's simpler. If you have nothing for a character, don't use them when someone else could. Nothing and availability are better than being used as wallpaper like recent X-Men.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    Just because a character is stuck doing nothing does not mean they need a break. On the contrary, they need writers that actually have the imagination and the vision to use them to their full potential. Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus all need a writer that cares about the character enough to do more than use them as wallpaper or a prop for their own favorite characters. I want to see these characters used MORE, but effectively, and not put on the shelf.

How about side-lining a few characters whose story the books always seem to revolve around. I like Wolverine, but he wasn't gone long enough for me. Here he is back in multiple books (Just look at the September solicites).
    That's all every character needs. But sadly, many of them do not get that because the bulk of writers & editorial don't see the potential the fans do. They're not interested in the character(s) So they're not gonna get good time with that great writer who has lots of imagination & plans for them.

I can agree with sidelining Logan. He wasn't gone long at all, and when he was we had OML who was basically treated as the 616 version. And it's taken him as long to die as it took Wolverine to return. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-25-2019 at 09:03 AM.