Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't thinly veiled "Character I hate" threads banned on here?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I wish long breaks for:

Mystique
    Sabretooth
    Kitty Pryde
    Colossus
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Specifically not calling out characters just because I don't like them:

Xavier, Mystique, the Phoenix Force, Apocalypse, and Colossus. I think Charles should stay dead forever and the rest need to be inactive until there's a good story and agency behind the characters/concepts.

Thinking maybe Storm, too. I keep wanting her to have some big moment (not feats-related) but lately I associate her with the word anti-climactic. Storm used to be such an exciting X-Character and now she's dullsville.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't thinly veiled "Character I hate" threads banned on here?
    I don't think that's the OP's intent, but I think that's certainly happening here lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I have not even mentioned that un-thicc twig, NIGHTCRAWLER.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quentin, Glob, Eyeboy, Nature Girl, Storm, Colossus, Magik, Gambit

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Hide your daughters from Remy.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    lol stop. She was a villain or guest starring in all of those.
    That is better than do nothing.

Astonishing Member

I'm gonna go ahead and say Storm. She hasn't had a meaningful character arc for a while and it's obvious that when she's in the Black Panther office she gets better development whether it be through connecting with her American roots, exploring her divinity, or being a world leader as queen of the most advanced nation on Earth. As a Black Panther fan first, I'd be 100% on board with her as the main supporting cast member if the BP office had full editorial control over her character and she left the X-books for a bit.

Her growth prospects seem higher with T'Challa because I get the feeling that like Mera or Lois she can build the support and interest to get a mini or even a spot on a different team book. Her first and only time as an Avenger was facilitated through her relationship to Wakanda so there's precedent. She doesn't have to be stuck as the token minority to make the X-Men seem more diverse than they really are and can actually be a useful addition to another team where she can interact with other pantheons, secret civilizations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    That is better than do nothing.
    Not really. If all a writer is using a character for is it crap on everything that came before it and brutalize the character, then nothing is preferable. That's one opinion I know we share.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
    Emma Frost, Bishop, Armor, Pixie, and Oya.
    Bishop is just back and will be on first wave of books. Good time to really establish him on x-men books

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
    Emma Frost, Bishop, Armor, Pixie, and Oya.
    Pretty sold list, I agree.

Colossus- Why he should get a break? Colossus has been stuck in the same role and the same type of stories for the longest period of time. Astonishing was actually an interesting break from the same role but it got cut off . A break away from X-books would good to give you time to miss him and gives chances to couple of young characters who have the same archetype/powerset like Gentle or Rockslide to be used. Colossus should take a break or used in Excalibur book

Nightcrawler-Similar to Colossus ,Nightcrawler has been stuck not doing anything new or different since his return.His age of X-man book is solid but an actually 616 book would have been a chance to explore something different and establish a new direction for him. The same Thing as Colossus he should be given a rest or used in Excalibur book. A break away from main books gives a chance for them to use AoA Blink or Pixie more.

Angel- Has been a mess since Remender killed him. Another character stuck with no direction but even worse he is all over place and nobody has clue on how to use him. Angel shouldn't be use until someone has great plan for him.A break for Angel gives the X-men a chance to use Hellion or Sunspot as that upper class wealthy handsome slightly spoiled character.

Beast- You see the theme actually pretty good character but kinda aimless in books this is slight detour from that theme. Beast has become a unlikable character which is opposite of what core of character is, which is generally fun and happy character. Beast needs break away from the X-men may be small run with Avengers or he can show up in the Champions as mentor. Beast shouldn't be used again unless "Fun" and "Loving" are accurate descriptors of the character. With Beast away from X-men that opens up the Science guy role which Prodigy and Cypher should take a run at that slot.

Kitty- Has a combo problem a bit of Colossus issue(same storylines) and Beast (unlikable). She another character who is define by their likability ,It is nice that she carries more respect as character now in the X-world but that shouldn't come at the cost her character being likeable. I don't know how to fix her because some of the issue is the character is actually older and can't be use as the innocent fun teen anymore. She should be used in New Mutants as a real X-men book and there is a mutual benefit .Kitty get to be used among characters who are her own age but historically treated younger and feel younger, New Mutants get to be around a character that feels like main X-man in spite of her age and that how the whole group should be treated. She hasn't had the role in awhile I think it has been Jubilee, Armor, Pixie at points with Kitty on break I think Oya or Natural Girl can be young pov female character in the X-men for awhile.

Storm-She needs a break because they can't find a role for her in books,She takes a weird back seat to other character in books when she is probably the most experience leader in the situation. Storm needs a rework in how people see her and solo would be the best thing. She needs a solo where she establish herself as a superhero and that is clearly emphasized. A stint leading the Avengers wouldn't be bad as well. Storm shouldn't be used unless it is a writer who understands Cyclops,Wolverine and Jean whoever is leading views Storm as an equal and Storm will interject her point of view into a situation. If Storm is taking a break then it time to emphasize all of other Black and African female characters around so M,Oya, Celia Reyes, Blink,Frenzy.

That's who I would give breaks
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-24-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Mighty Member

I really don’t want to see many characters take a break.. I’d like writers to find interesting ways to use them. The only character I’d like to see take a break is Kitty. She’s been written so unlikable for the last few years.. I’m sorry, but there is no way Kitty was a better leader than Storm. She may be intelligent and mentally smarter, but she was never a leader like Storm was. To see Storm become this weak willed dumb leader was awful. Kitty could have stepped up and lead a team, but she could have still been written in a more flattering way (also see “in character”)

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I really don’t want to see many characters take a break.. I’d like writers to find interesting ways to use them.
    The core group of X-men is about 40 to 50 something characters, when you add on the adjacent characters it is somewhere like 100 to 200 characters.They have been traditional 2 main X-men books, It has expanded to about 3 books now. We typically also have had about 2 or 3 adjacent books like X-factor, X-force,Gen-X,etc. Typically 7 people is comfortable number to focus on in a team book to where each character can get some good characterization. So if we have 6 team books with 8 characters each that is about 48 unique characters. The big point is some characters will have to take a break. A break isn't a bad thing

BANNED

Colossus until they figure out how to not make him a lovesick oversized puppy. Lemire TRIED to have him be a mentor to the kids and drop the whole MUH SNOWFLAKE thing and that went absolutely nowhere.

Nightcrawler should get a break if they don't give him to McGuire from here on out. Only writer to do cool stuff with him since 2014 and of course it had to be an AU.

Storm needs a break from the X-Office. Just give her to somebody on the Avengers' office, not named Aaron, and let them try to help rebuild the character. Don't limbo her or anything.