Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Ugh, god no. Why the hell does DC feel the need to make every JL member a parent these days? Batman, Superman, and now Aquaman all have kids? Come on!

Got my fingers Manta kills this one too, and sooner rather than later.
    At least this one will actually be a legitimate baby. Not a contrived 10 year old thrown into continuity willy-nilly making the main character's lore a complete dumpster fire of incoherence.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Aquaman was literally the first major character to have a kid in the Silver Age. I think it's a bit unfair to say bringing in an aspect of the character that at this point is around 50 years old is creatively bankrupt.

Right it was classic as you indicate, beautiful moment, fits the character, see above recapture it, we did it, how about leave it at that. How is doing it again original?

Not only is it not an original idea, we know what happens with these dead weight baby "characters" .
    Either become hostage babies to give hero angst. Or aged up.
    They drove Dady Wally's book into the ground of dull-drum. Then they were aged up to supposedly make them "interesting" all they served to do was weigh Wally down, DC is a cesspool of uncreative derivative mini-me characters, waiting to grow into the mantle of characters that are 100 times more valuable than they are.

You can't shoot an arrow in the DCU without hitting one of these useless baby and mini-me clone characters, spewed out by writers and editors out of new ideas and direction to take the protagonist.
    Make a baby!
    Don't know what to do withe Mera, make her pregnant .....again!.

LOL Baby! The worst thing that can happen to a character, and long term continuity.
    Not sure how when a creative team and editorial are absolutely out of ideas, and come up with BABY! To drag down a character with it, they are not automatically moved off a book

Instant dead weight now future creators are saddled with. So these guys can tell themselves look we created something new and took it in an all "new" direction. LOL!
    When it's the epitome of out of new things to say about the character.
    Look forward to we don't know what to do with Aquababy? Age him up to Aquateen, and pile him up with all the other derivative Aquas.
    It's dead weight from the go, by writers (and fans apparently ) out of ideas.

After the Baby arc, next; see Aquaman in a leather jacket rollerblade-jumps over a Grizzly bear.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-25-2019 at 01:38 PM.

By "dead weight", do you mean anything more specific than "I don't like them"? Repeating a claim is not the same thing as supporting it.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 06-25-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    By "dead weight", do you mean anything more specific than "I don't like them"? Repeating a claim is not the same thing as supporting it.
    What exactly would a baby contribute to the current narrative and status quo of the book other than its death cementing the feud between Manta and Arthur or causing a rift between Arthur and Mera? The current Aquaman is one of these books where adding babies does nothing and in fact detracts from the story because it's always going to be in the shadow of the previous stories and Aquaman's various junior sidekicks can already serve as stand-ins for junior family members.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-25-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Default Here we go again Aquaman fans....

By "dead weight", do you mean anything more specific .
    No, that's exactly what I mean, stories about babies are boring that's my point.
    And it doesn't make Mera more interesting, she was already interesting without it.
    They end up used mostly as device to become baby hostage to give the hero angst moments.
    Once spent since they are non charters they quickly age them into derivative wannabe mini-me's of the hero or faze them out.
    Which DC (including the Aquaverse) is already inundated with.

"Dead weight" is to future creators, who now saddled with cleaning up this pile up of derivative garbage, cause the current team couldn't come up with anything other than it's time for a Baby.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-25-2019 at 05:31 PM.

By "dead weight", do you mean anything more specific than "I don't like them"?
    Reminds me of the joke that asks "What's easier to unload: a truck filled with bowling bowls or a truck filled with babies?"

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    No, that's exactly what I mean, stories about babies are boring that's my point.
    And it doesn't make Mera more interesting, she was already interesting without it.
    They end up used mostly as device to become baby hostage to give the hero angst moments.
    Once spent since they are non charters they quickly age them into derivative wannabe mini-me's of the hero or faze them out.
    Which DC (including the Aquaverse) is already inundated with.

"Dead weight" is to future creators, who now saddled with cleaning up this pile up of derivative garbage, cause the current team couldn't come up with anything other than it's time for a Baby.
    What if future creators don't hate the baby and can write stories with it just fine?

Comic Geek in General

Odds are this time Arthur Jr would get aged up to teenager through magic or something so that would be another member for Teen Titans or Young Justice......doubt Manta would re kill the kid (and push Mera back into insanity)

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Odds are this time Arthur Jr would get aged up to teenager through magic or something so that would be another member for Teen Titans or Young Justice......doubt Manta would re kill the kid (and push Mera back into insanity)
    And how many other current Aqualads would that screw over?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And how many other current Aqualads would that screw over?
    Garth is already pretty screwed. Tula and Garth both started to get really cool new roles in Aquaman's supporting cast. Loved Tula in Mera's mini. Was hoping that she'd be built up more going forward.

The current book has nothing to do with any of that though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Don’t forget the recent return of Dolphin to the world of Aquaman too.
    That's wonderful! Can I please have some details? I'm a little behind on comics at the moment and I don't mind spoilers.

Mighty Member

Guarantee the kid is gonna be a daughter. Don't think DC is will want to kill off a baby girl, won't be a good look.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    That's wonderful! Can I please have some details? I'm a little behind on comics at the moment and I don't mind spoilers.
    I think it was in recent Aquaman issues that Dolphin returns to the DCU Rebirth style.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The death of Aquaman and Mera's kid was just too much. None of the characters can come back from that in a way that still makes fun comic books out of- not Arthur, Mera, or Manta.

If Arthur and Mera have to have a kid, I hope they dont pull that kind of thing. I loved Eldoris Curry and would love to see a variation of her as their offspring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And yet that is exactly what they did.
    If it was not for COIE and it’s reboot maybe. I mean just how did Aquaman and Mera ever comeback from the death of their son or how Aquaman spares Black Manta’s life over it ?

I think it's more likely to end in a miscarriage or abortion than a murdered baby.