Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It's hard to say why kids prefer manga over comics. Maybe it's simply portability and price.

Both manga and comic graphic novels are available in big chain bookstores -- often right next to each other.

Both manga and comic graphic novels are serialized stories -- often comics are even less serialized because a trade reprints an entire story arc, so you're getting a full story with a comics trad, which one would think would be an advantage.

Plus, comic graphic novels are in color, which, to me, is a big selling point and one reason I never got into manga.

But, I think consumers, even young consumers (and certainly their parents) buy things based on price.

A 3-in-one Dragon Ball manga sells for $15 before discounts and has almost 600 pages. Plus, they're easier to hold and carry.

Maybe DC should start experimenting in putting out comics material in black and white manga-sized format and see if that sells.

Another reason kids aren't getting into superhero comics is that perhaps superheroes are so ubiquitous right now on TV, animation, and movies that these media adaptations of superheroes are enough to scratch that itch.

There's anime, of course, but it's not as present on TV and theaters as superheroes.

Also, perhaps manga is more attractive because there's more variety in the storytelling. With manga, you have Attack on Titan and Dragon Ball, which are very different plus tons more, but with comics, it's all very superhero based.

I think, in addition to targeting younger readers at the bookstore with DC Kids, DC also needs to expand the genres they're telling stories of.

Create new manga-sized black and white graphic novels of Challengers of the Unknown, Sea Devils, Kamandi, Arak Son of Thunder, Arion Lord of Atlantis, Amethyst Princess of Gemworld -- even Space Cabbie -- have bookstores rack them next to the mangas if not intermingled with them, and see if they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't think it's so much that DC is "ignoring a larger audience" as it is that they have haven't found the right way to tap in to them with what DC knows how to do. They probably want to find connecting gateways that would lead to some regular comic book purchases, too.
    True.
    I think they are trying now...
    But the last several years their focus has been on trying to convert the choir. Meaning they've been expecting that 'new audience' to just appear in the comic shops.
    They've been trying really hard to get readers already going to comic shops that may not be reading DC to drop whatever they're already buying to check them out.
    But they're already comic readers. And DC may not interest them as much.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    When I first fell in love with comics as a kid back in the late 1970s, one of the reasons (other than the comics' innate quality) was relatively easy attainability (my dad owned a small local grocery store those days and the inventory included periodicals) and lack of alternatives (think back to what kids had as options in the late 1970s).

But today's kids: so, so many other options.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    For me, the heyday period for when I was reading comics was about 1985.
    Kids had Ataris, all kinds of board games, rpgs were making a splash, action figures were big, Hot Wheels, sports, cartoons played on tv as soon as they got home from school and every Saturday morning, music on cassettes was a big thing for kids and teens, going to the movies...
    Yet, I bought a bunch of DC and Marvel titles back then.
    And I was only 14.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Then your house will have no bookshelves or record / CD racks and so your living space will be bare / very minimalist.

Having seen friends experience he restarted buying physical cultural items rather than buying on the cloud simply as furnishing. A house without bookcases for many people is a very empty space.
    I think the 'digital era' has helped me some in prioritizing what to obtain or have physically.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Then your house will have no bookshelves or record / CD racks and so your living space will be bare / very minimalist.

Having seen friends experience he restarted buying physical cultural items rather than buying on the cloud simply as furnishing. A house without bookcases for many people is a very empty space.
    I am very much a floppy, must-have-a-physical copy kind of guy. But I'm also a realist. In 30 years of collecting comic books I've seen them go from $0.75 for an ongoing experience to $4.99-ish for Part _____ of 6. Given that a collected edition of a story costs only $20 digitally and can be read in one sitting, a reader can go that route or spend $30 for the individual issues over the course of 6 months, and that's if it releases on time. Simple math would tell you that's not the way to sustain an industry.

I don't think trimming down the line a little bit is necessarily bad. It helps keep the line more profitable, which will help keep DC around longer.

I also like the new DC model versus the many many redundant imprints they seemed to have going.
    While it's sad that Vertigo is coming to an end, I can't remember the last time Vertigo really had a hot title.
    Vertigo's heyday for me were things like Sandman, Morrison's Doom Patrol, the Black Orchid graphic novels, Sandman Mystery Theatre...
    and that was a long LONG time ago.

DC immediately lost their backbone with Black Label, failed to launch with All-Star (after nailing it with All-Star Superman and then never publishing what was announced for after...), and didn't really need Young Animal to launch the new Doom Patrol.

I think DC has been putting too much emphasis on new imprints versus whether the work is any good or not.
    Last edited by astro@work; 06-25-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Capital O on orchid, thanks for asking.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I am very much a floppy, must-have-a-physical copy kind of guy. But I'm also a realist. In 30 years of collecting comic books I've seen them go from $0.75 for an ongoing experience to $4.99-ish for Part _____ of 6. Given that a collected edition of a story costs only $20 digitally and can be read in one sitting, a reader can go that route or spend $30 for the individual issues over the course of 6 months, and that's if it releases on time. Simple math would tell you that's not the way to sustain an industry.
    It probably costs $20 physically, too. That is more an argument of collected vs singles.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    It's hard to say why kids prefer manga over comics. Maybe it's simply portability and price.

Both manga and comic graphic novels are available in big chain bookstores -- often right next to each other.

Both manga and comic graphic novels are serialized stories -- often comics are even less serialized because a trade reprints an entire story arc, so you're getting a full story with a comics trad, which one would think would be an advantage.

Manga does NOT have the antics that have screw up DC.

Lets use Sailor Moon-the folks you see on that new cartoon MATCH the Manga and whatever storyline that is there.

You don't have a well done Cyborg in BOTH Doom Patrol (Teen Titans Go) and in comics.

You DON't have Bumblebee is both medias.

Manga says EVERYBODY is there. There is no agenda and everybody is there.

Also in most Manga everybody is the same RACE.

There is no "I can't read Batman because he's training a black kid" comments like I saw a long time ago.

You can toss WHATEVER you want as a manga and NO ONE will QUESTION ITS EXISTENCE.

Wicked City, Ninja Scroll, Sailor Moon, Ghost in the Shell, Starblazers and so on would have thread upon thread by folks DEMANDING justification for these books being made.

Sooner or later you have to look at WHO the issue is.

Why is there so few issues OUTSIDE of comics with the likes of John Stewart, Wally and so on? It might get to the point of you need books with those guys that comic book store will NOT have access to.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Also with Manga they don't skimp on art. Manga art is pretty/epic to look at while comics will have good art for 10 issues then a crappy artist gets hired till another relaun

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Also with Manga they don't skimp on art. Manga art is pretty/epic to look at while comics will have good art for 10 issues then a crappy artist gets hired till another relaunch
    How many manga are published in color?

I've really only noticed b&w interiors.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How many manga are published in color?

I've really only noticed b&w interiors.
    None really except for some Manhwa (Korean manga).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Manga does NOT have the antics that have screw up DC.

Lets use Sailor Moon-the folks you see on that new cartoon MATCH the Manga and whatever storyline that is there.

You don't have a well done Cyborg in BOTH Doom Patrol (Teen Titans Go) and in comics.

You DON't have Bumblebee is both medias.

Manga says EVERYBODY is there. There is no agenda and everybody is there.

Also in most Manga everybody is the same RACE.

There is no "I can't read Batman because he's training a black kid" comments like I saw a long time ago.

You can toss WHATEVER you want as a manga and NO ONE will QUESTION ITS EXISTENCE.

Wicked City, Ninja Scroll, Sailor Moon, Ghost in the Shell, Starblazers and so on would have thread upon thread by folks DEMANDING justification for these books being made.

Sooner or later you have to look at WHO the issue is.

Why is there so few issues OUTSIDE of comics with the likes of John Stewart, Wally and so on? It might get to the point of you need books with those guys that comic book store will NOT have access to.
    I can't believe this crap is still around. Got news for whoever posted that: DC probably doesn't want you reading their books to begin with. One reason I think Manga is so popular is that it's a finite story. Superman will never end. Batman will never end. It's based on a model that was dependent on high reader turnover. A model that doesn't exist anymore. Whereas Manga are more like novels. You read a series and then move onto another series. And the next generation just picks it up from there. Think Harry Potter. Manga is also usually by one author. One creator's vision versus a corporate vision trying to appease as many readers as possible. I'm not a big Manga reader. Unless it ties into something I'm already into. What few I own were either given to me or I bought for the art.
    Assassinate Putin!

One reason I think Manga is so popular is that it's a finite story. Superman will never end. Batman will never end. It's based on a model that was dependent on high reader turnover. A model that doesn't exist anymore
    Tell that to case closed (detective conan) and one piece. Both have been around for 20 years and are still going! (Detective conan anime has had over 900 episodes, ovas, live action tv movies, 2 hours tv movies and one hours specials, two lupin crossovers and over 22 big screen movies not counted in the 900 episode count!)

Maybe DC should start experimenting in putting out comics material in black and white manga-sized format and see if that sells.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

OK, but NOT with manga-style art.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Maybe actual character and story progression that stays throughout the series? Characters age up, but others aren't tossed under the bus?