Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are some of your favorite UPBEAT runs in comics?

Not parody series, but just optimistic or hopeful or non-depressing or "non-gritty" ones.

For me, I love the first 25 issues of the 2006 Blue Beetle. While there are some detours, for the most part there's a strong arc that each issue contributes to. The relationships between the main character and his supporting cast and strong and well fleshed-out. The recurring characters are good, too. There's humor. The hero is admirable and the good guys win. I just love this story. The last few issues - the resolution - are absolutely fantastic.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

The Flash: volume two. Particularly as written by Mark Waid and Messner-Loebs.

Also the original Justice League International/Europe.

Most any series that incorporated Didio's Bane (large dollops of humor.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

If Li'l Gotham is a parody, then just... Silver Age in general. The original Batman 66 era.

There's this story where Penguin begged Batman and Robin to vouch for him as he pretends to be good because he didn't want to break the heart of his Aunt Agatha. This I believe was the first time they learned that his name is Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot.

Gotham Academy.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Jeff Parker's AQUAMAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    The Flash: volume two. Particularly as written by Mark Waid and Messner-Loebs.
    Beat me to it. It got darker later, pretty much when Geoff Johns took over. Messner-Loebs' run was upbeat, and pretty good, but not spectacular. The series really hit its stride when Waid took over writing - highly recommended. Similarly, the Impulse series by Waid that spun off from it also fits this question well.

I'd say the Shazam family comics are probably known for this sort of thing. I always think of them as very "Silver Age" in tone, even the modern stuff. I remember The Power of Shazam! series by Ordway in the 90s, starting with the one shot graphic novel and then continuing in an ongoing series of the same name, was relatively light, well written, with good art.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    I'd say the Shazam family comics are probably known for this sort of thing. I always think of them as very "Silver Age" in tone, even the modern stuff. I remember The Power of Shazam! series by Ordway in the 90s, starting with the one shot graphic novel and then continuing in an ongoing series of the same name, was relatively light, well written, with good art.
    To the utmost, I agree. Ordway's run on The Power of SHAZAM! is an all-time favorite.

As for my choice, I'll say Starfire from Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti.

Interesting. I wasn't really thinking of silver age - though it's acceptable, of course - but of stories with the greater characterization and more complex plots of the later era that don't get bogged down in endless angst or gore or "gray" heroes.

Similarly, the Impulse series by Waid that spun off from it also fits this question well.
    I have read Impulse. Early issues by Waid are quite good, but later in the series (not at all sure when compared to changing in writers), the stories were quite weak, IMO. Though I still enjoyed the characters, and mourn the loss of Carol, Preston, and Helen. I kinda wish there was no Inertia - I'm really over them all having matching villains (Reverse Flashes, more or less). It's like Freddy and Mary have Sivana's kids - develop more villains of their own!
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-24-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Superman For All Seasons.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Brian Q. Miller's "Batgirl". Fun, lighthearted and optimistic despite challenges.

Paul Dini's "Zatanna". It had dark magic and stuff but still kept fun action at the forefront.

Tomasi's "Super Sons". Kid friendly without being overly juvenile, also packed with action and heart. Great relationships.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Superman For All Seasons.
    Seconded - I also find All-Star Superman an amazingly uplifting and joyous read.

Extraordinary Member

Peter David’s original Young Justice book.

It’s by and large goofball fun and creatively gifted storytelling. There *is* some heavy stuff that pops up involving the characters and the villain Harm at times, but all in an overall positive manner.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Brian Q. Miller's "Batgirl". Fun, lighthearted and optimistic despite challenges.

Paul Dini's "Zatanna". It had dark magic and stuff but still kept fun action at the forefront.

Tomasi's "Super Sons". Kid friendly without being overly juvenile, also packed with action and heart. Great relationships.
    Bah! You took mine! Especially the 1st and 3rd ones.

Seriously, Super Sons is just fun adventure. Would have loved a Wonder Woman family member in there in the future, but, well, yeah.

Mighty Member

To throw in another Superman title, the Adventures of Superman digital first comics from 2013 were really good imo.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The Smallville Season 11 comic. That was a genuinely fun series. And a great DCU in general. I also loved the Sensation Comics series that was a Wonder Woman anthology.
    Assassinate Putin!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Waid's Flash and Impulse runs are joy on a page.
    I also LOVED Garth Ennis' Hitman. THAT was a helluva book. FINALLY a comicbook character who uses his x-ray vision the same way I would!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.