Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

Going by decades since I've been reading DC:

The 1960s had a lot of upbeat comics, but if we can't include the humour comics (otherwise I'd say SUGAR AND SPIKE), then I'd name WORLD'S FINEST COMICS, because it was so great to see that Superman, Batman and Robin were all friends and supported each other in one adventure together. My runner up is ADVENTURE COMICS featuring the Legion of Super-Heroes, although it had some deaths, it presented a hopeful vision of the future.

The 1970s, I really liked SHAZAM! a lot of fun art from C.C. Beck, Bob Oksner and Kurt Schaffenberger--always made me happy--but again that's humour. And let's not talk about PLOP! and its mockery of everything under the sun. Unlike a lot of other comics, THE FLASH stayed the course through the 1970s as pure super-hero adventure and no depressing drama--until they killed off Iris West Allen at which point the series took a dark turn and never got back to being the upbeat comic it once was. And if it wasn't another parody, I'd also single out Ramona Fradon's PLASTIC MAN.

The 1980s, early in the decade, the "Whatever Happened to . . . " feature in DC COMICS PRESENTS was always something to look forward to. For the brief time it existed 'MAZING MAN took me to my happy place--oops! is that a parody? At the end of the 1980s, JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE was great fun--yikes, I think that's another parody.

The 1990s, started out with THE FLY from the !mpact line, with Mike Parobeck art--anything with Parobeck art lifted my spirits. YOUNG HEROES IN LOVE was not long for this world, but it was nice to hang out with those characters (dangerously close to parodic, though). And at the end of the 1990s going into the 2000s was one of my favourite comics, HOURMAN--such a good time, but not above mocking the super-hero conventions--I'm detecting a pattern.

Going on with the 2000s, if I can't include the hardcovers BIZARRO COMICS (2001) and BIZARRO WORLD (2005), because they're humour, then I have to go with MILLENNIUM EDITION titles--just because having so many reprints of great comics for a full year was one of the most upbeat experiences of my comic reading life. And the Seven Soldiers titles from Grant Morrison in 2005 proved to be time well wasted.

The return of ADVENTURE COMICS from 2009 to 2011 was good while it lasted. And I very much enjoyed Greg Rucka's second run on WONDER WOMAN from 2016/2017, too bad it didn't stick.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Waid's Flash and Impulse runs are joy on a page.
    I also LOVED Garth Ennis' Hitman. THAT was a helluva book. FINALLY a comicbook character who uses his x-ray vision the same way I would!
    Hitman is spectacular but I'm not quite sure if "upbeat" is the word I would use to describe it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Interesting. I wasn't really thinking of silver age - though it's acceptable, of course - but of stories with the greater characterization and more complex plots of the later era that don't get bogged down in endless angst or gore or "gray" heroes.
    As I said, Power of Shazam! was a 90s series. I just think of it as more of a Silver Age tone, while still having the more complex plots and characterization of modern comics.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Hitman is spectacular but I'm not quite sure if "upbeat" is the word I would use to describe it.
    Come on!! Hitman #1000000 was hilarious!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Jeff Parker's AQUAMAN.
    That's a really good shout. It's such an underrated run on Aquaman that.

Superman For All Seasons
    Superman: Secret Origin
    It's not a run as such but maybe Thunderworld Adventures from The Multiversity also.

James Robinson's STARMAN are there some dark arcs? Sure. However, the overall story and message is very upbeat and positive.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The early days of IMPULSE, before Bart became Kid Flash.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . For the brief time it existed 'MAZING MAN took me to my happy place--oops! is that a parody? . . .
    I don't know if it's an out-and-out "parody".

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't know if it's an out-and-out "parody".
    'MAZING MAN is a collage of different story types--some stories are just straight character drama. But when it comes to Denton working as a comic book writer for BC, the stuff he creates could probably be described as parody.

Extraordinary Member

Considering that it was depicted during World War II, I found All Star Squadron to be a very uplifting book. There was a sense of hopefulness in the heroes IMO. I loved the feel of that book.

I forgot to add Geoff Johns, Stars & S.T.R.I.P.E that was a delightful and fun series!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Come on!! Hitman #1000000 was hilarious!
    Oh, it was regularly hilarious but it was also hyper-violent, dark, twisted and sometimes heartbreaking. Seriously, a brilliant comic but it doesn't really fit with the other series being mentioned here.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Bah! You took mine! Especially the 1st and 3rd ones.

Seriously, Super Sons is just fun adventure. Would have loved a Wonder Woman family member in there in the future, but, well, yeah.
    I was just trying to beat millernumber13 to the Batgirl punch!

Very much looking forward to more super sons and other cast members. Also hoping Jon getting aged up doesn't stick.

I definitely second the David Young Justice votes.

I thought "Power Company" was just a fun romp through Busiek's encyclopedic knowledge and appreciation of the DCU.

Mighty Member

Also Simone's "The Movement". Short little series with a lot of heart. Great cast of diverse new characters. Very modern and, while having some dark patches, ultimately about optimism.